Clubplanet Nightlife Community

An allstar DJ Week in Orlando is coming soon!

CHRles

Looks like mid October is going to be crazy in Orlando.

Sunday, October 13 Chicago's Bad Boy Bill will be playing at the House of Blues

Wednesday, October 16, Sasha and Orlando's own Chris Fortier will be at Icon

Thursday, October 17, Miami's George Acosta at Tabu

Saturday, October 19, New York's John Creamer & Stephane K at Icon.

I don't know about you, but it looks like a great lineup to me.

Actually I live in Tampa, but I go clubbin in Orlando all the time, the scene there is better. I also go to Miami a lot, and love reading this board b/c I find the people here to generally know a lot about music and the scene.

Anyways, it's great to hear Burridge and Kleinenberg are both coming back to Icon so soon!:)

I'm also a huge Trance fan, and unlike a lot of people on this board I love George Acosta's sets. Yeah, he does slip up on occasion, but I've heard him many times, and in a lot of instances his sets have surpassed similar sets by the German Trance DJs.

You can expect a huge turnout for Acosta at Tabu. Whenever he's in Orlando it seems like half the town comes out to see him.

I know some of the people on this board aren't big fans of his, but if you read between the lines you'll see there's a lot of jealousy involved. Hell, I'm slowly starting to see people hate on Oscar G. too just b/c he's becoming so big in the scene now.

It's a shame Miami takes some of its best talent for granted...

acosta blows :blown:

seriously...last time i saw him up here in dc, the guy was fucked up behind the decks..spun the most gawd-awful set i've ever seen a profesional dj spin...

anyway, kinda sux that when i lived in tampa the scene there pretty much sucked, orlando didnt have alot going for itself either, needless, happy to see things are picking up steam again there...must make it a point a visit tampa again sometime soon.

go lightning :blown:

uh, i mean bucs icon14.gif

The scene in Orlando overall sucks, but it is on the up and up. I've lived here for almost a year and in that time I've experienced it at it's best(which still sucks) and at it's worst( tabu on a saturday night) However, lately Icon has been making a positive impact on the scene up here. They bring in a big name pretty much every week, but the crowds up here are just horrible most of the time. It is a rare occassion to see the crowd truly into the music up here, no matter who is spinning. And Icon is just an average club at best, decent sound system and very small with shit for lighting. The headliner will spin for 2- 3hrs tops so it's tough to really get into it. Either way I've watched Orlando grow since I've been up here and not head down hill which is a good thing. The line up for next month not only in Orlando but all over the state is amazing. Badboy Bill, Tall Paul, Sasha , Acosta and John Creamer in Orlando in the span of 1 week... damn. Tiesto, Talla, Marco V, Howells, you name it Miami is still bringing the talent.... can't wait to move back home and start meeting some of you from the board.... only got one month left up here.

CHRles... I'll definitely be at Tabu for Acosta so if you want to meet up let me know, it's gonna be weird to actually hear something besides booty music in that place but the sound system in there top notch

Jason.... Badboy Bill and Tall Paul @ House of Blues... let's do it, hope you don't have a lab or anything. I'm still debating on whether or not to catch Tiesto at Space or just stay in town and see Creamer @ Icon. We shall see. Hit me up later in the week.

Wait a minute, am I reading right? Tall Paul is going to be there too on the night BBB will be at the House of Blues?! Damn, sounds like I'll have to make it out then. I just saw Bad Boy Bill here in Tampa on Friday, but since there's a good vibe at HOB on Sunday nights, and since Tall Paul will be there too, I just may have to make it out for that.

You're right about Tabu - it's mostly known as a Breakbeat club. Lately they've been trying to add some Hard Trance to the mix on Saturday nights, but I didn't like some of the crowd I saw there (maybe its gotten better?)... It'll be interesting to see who comes out on a Thursday night to see Acosta there. My guess is that it will be the same crowd that went to Roxy last year, and that showed up for Acostas set at Icon a couple of years back. So you can look forward to a lot of college hotties, and plenty of silicone breasts too lol. Still, they really know how to get into Trance music when Acosta is in town. The only other clubs where the crowd really seems to dig it is Mannequins on Saturday nightsb/c of the tourists and the older crowd, and at the Blue Room on most Friday nights.

As for Progressive House, in most clubs it sadly doesn't work in Orlando. Only Icon usually brings a crowd that is open to it, and that is pretty educated towards it. Icon's owners are smart - they also own the ultra cheesy club called Cairos, but in a way it helps keep Icon in business, and to bring out all the great Progressive talent on Saturday nights. Friday nights Mannequins features a lot of House music that charts on Billboards Dance/Club chart, but as you prolly know the club closes at 2 am. Other than that you can usually only hear House or Progressive sets in the smaller bars/lounges. I mean, Firestone has Progressive music playing on Thursdays and Sunday nights, but its upstairs and not in the main room (they obviously also have House music on Sat night, but that's for the gay crowd).

Who knows, maybe Antigua or Roxy will also get something good going, but i'm hoping both The Groove and The Matrix will step up to the plate. Both are huge clubs, both attract plenty of tourists, and could therefore perhaps get away with a more SoBe sound on certain nights (The Groove used to have a really good Progressive night on Saturday with Martin Boss, before that with Noel Sanger, and Thursday nights once upon a time had Sandra Collins there spinnin all night long).

Jason.... Badboy Bill and Tall Paul @ House of Blues... let's do it, hope you don't have a lab or anything. I'm still debating on whether or not to catch Tiesto at Space or just stay in town and see Creamer @ Icon. We shall see. Hit me up later in the week.

Dave,

Hopefully, I dont have lab. Keeping my fingers crossed. I will be sure to contact you. As for Chrles, let me and dave know when you plan on coming into town, we'll get nuts.

About Acosta @ Tabu, I'm not a real big Acosta fan and definitely not a fan of Tabu....it is Taboo for me...the people, the music, the lights, the sound, the atmosphere just piss me off....so i found out that one saturday night i went......Dave..lol..

This is pretty much a tourist town and I usually dont get started til 2 am or so.......the clubs here blow ass.......However, I would like to see Roxy (since i live like 10 mintues away) get used for some big names....or perhaps even Matrix/ Metropolis.....

Thumbs up for ICON...they've been trying very hard to please the real clubkids here in Orlando....its just not a big enough venue.....Throw in a train horn and some nitrogen....and hey...ill be happy.....Can't wait to go back home to Miami in December...Keep in touch guys!