Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Question for you djs

exitsquared4e

Ok my friend is starting spinning and he already got a Stanton Rm-100 mixer and now he needs to buy the rest,,, but he has a very very low budget.

He is defiantly going cds, but he cant afford the cdj1000's. You think that it would be worth it to get like a cheap pair of cds decks or a dual cd player. or just wait and get better shit. (but he realy does wanna get started learning and he could be waiting a long time) If he was to get cheaper shit, what are really better, a pair of individual decks or a dual cd player, cuz we have heard arguments that say each one is better.

Also he is gona be getting something for Efx. He is Looking at the Pioneer Efx-500 and the kaoss pad. The Kaoss pad is cheaper, but is the pioneer really much better and easier to use?

Originally posted by exitsquared4e

Ok my friend is starting spinning and he already got a Stanton Rm-100 mixer and now he needs to buy the rest,,, but he has a very very low budget.

He is defiantly going cds, but he cant afford the cdj1000's. You think that it would be worth it to get like a cheap pair of cds decks or a dual cd player. or just wait and get better shit. (but he realy does wanna get started learning and he could be waiting a long time) If he was to get cheaper shit, what are really better, a pair of individual decks or a dual cd player, cuz we have heard arguments that say each one is better.

Also he is gona be getting something for Efx. He is Looking at the Pioneer Efx-500 and the kaoss pad. The Kaoss pad is cheaper, but is the pioneer really much better and easier to use?

u really think ur gonna get a response when u knock another dj on here in ur sig :laugh: :laugh:

Tell him learn to spin then worry about the efx box......

and why is it everyone has a friend of a friend that is starting to spin....why cant they ask for themselves...:confused:

I really don't understand all of these new DJs wanting efx shit nowadays when they're just starting out. If they're just starting to learn how to DJ, I'm assuming that they probably don't know what the efx do. Let me know if I'm making a wrong assumption or not, but are these kids gonna know what cutoff and resonance or a ring modulator will actually sound like? Or are they just gonna be jumpin around in their bedrooms thinking how cool it is that they just made a typical house record sound something like FSOL with the track processed thru all of these random efx to make it sound all trippy and shit.

I mean, I don't have a problem with people experimenting with efx whether they know what they're doing or not. But I sincerely believe that they should learn the basics of mixing and reaction to crowd response first before they start warping out records just for the sake of them saying that they're using an efx box.

Either way, I might be totally wrong in saying this shit since I've got a couple of 40ozs. in my gut right now. But damn... Does anyone even start out on vinyl anymore, or learn the fundamentals first before trying to get creative with efx boxes and shit? Maybe I'm just an old geezer that thinks about the old days every now and then, but I'm still using the same mixer I bought eight years ago, and the only effect it has on it is an eight second sampler which I hardly ever use anymore. I've come recognize that most of the clubs I play at don't have the efx or gear I might use at home, so I focus more on being creative with the mixing rather than relying on the latest gadget that some company just put out.

I dunno. Like I said, I'm a little drunk right now. So I'd advise "your friend" to just get a cheap dual cd player and see if "he" can actually work that shit first before worrying about what efx box he's going to get.

Originally posted by heretic909

I really don't understand all of these new DJs wanting efx shit nowadays when they're just starting out. If they're just starting to learn how to DJ, I'm assuming that they probably don't know what the efx do. Let me know if I'm making a wrong assumption or not, but are these kids gonna know what cutoff and resonance or a ring modulator will actually sound like? Or are they just gonna be jumpin around in their bedrooms thinking how cool it is that they just made a typical house record sound something like FSOL with the track processed thru all of these random efx to make it sound all trippy and shit.

I mean, I don't have a problem with people experimenting with efx whether they know what they're doing or not. But I sincerely believe that they should learn the basics of mixing and reaction to crowd response first before they start warping out records just for the sake of them saying that they're using an efx box.

Either way, I might be totally wrong in saying this shit since I've got a couple of 40ozs. in my gut right now. But damn... Does anyone even start out on vinyl anymore, or learn the fundamentals first before trying to get creative with efx boxes and shit? Maybe I'm just an old geezer that thinks about the old days every now and then, but I'm still using the same mixer I bought eight years ago, and the only effect it has on it is an eight second sampler which I hardly ever use anymore. I've come recognize that most of the clubs I play at don't have the efx or gear I might use at home, so I focus more on being creative with the mixing rather than relying on the latest gadget that some company just put out.

I dunno. Like I said, I'm a little drunk right now. So I'd advise "your friend" to just get a cheap dual cd player and see if "he" can actually work that shit first before worrying about what efx box he's going to get.

well, i see you put the he in quotes,,,, if this was really me that was gona start i really would just say it.

But he knows the basics of spinnign and shit. But the question was more about equiptment.... mostly my question was about dual cd vs. a pair of individual decks.... and kaoss pad vs pioneer efx-500.... cuz he is gona end up getting an effects box, and yes he does know what alot of the effects do... so do i.

P.s. did you every try that new Old English High Gravity... thats some good shit

well, i see you put the he in quotes,,,, if this was really me that was gona start i really would just say it.

But he knows the basics of spinnign and shit. But the question was more about equiptment.... mostly my question was about dual cd vs. a pair of individual decks.... and kaoss pad vs pioneer efx-500.... cuz he is gona end up getting an effects box, and yes he does know what alot of the effects do... so do i.

P.s. did you every try that new Old English High Gravity... thats some good shit

:rolleyes: kaoss is shiet....dont even waste your $$