Clubplanet Nightlife Community

thought about two slang words - new and old

weyes

lol...never understood these two...people out here say it all the time...guess that's how you can tell a Californian from anyone else...

oh, and the word "hella" ...never heard it back East, everything there is "mad" cool or "mad" fucked up...

:)

sassa, i'd heard "sick" on the east coast years ago on the east coast and i still do, since i moved out here. and "hella" is from northern cali :) . i'm surprised that people still say, "mad", but i only hear the east coasters doing that. and some people on the new york board, who will remain nameless :eek: , call people "herbs". i really haven't heard that since '94, and i was glad when it died.

does anyone remember when the record label def american held a funeral for the word "def"? :laugh: it was an event with performers and execs - a big thing. does anyone know if that label is just known as "american", now?

Originally posted by weyes

does anyone remember when the record label def american held a funeral for the word "def"? :laugh: it was an event with performers and execs - a big thing. does anyone know if that label is just known as "american", now?

Hell Yeah! that was so funny :D

Rick Rubin had a big part in that, he's a kool kat.

Some slang words that are DEFINITELY from the West coast are:

• Gnarley
  • Tubular
  • Rad

Originally posted by sassa

Don't forget dude....

I got a lot of shit for saying dude a lot when I went to the East Coast for breaks...lol...people could totally (totally= another commonly used Californian word) tell I was a Cali chick :P

not true!!! we used "dude" in high school, and i grew up in manhattan. i didn't know many people from the bronx, but kids i knew from manhattan, brooklyn, queens, and staten island all used it. and it wasn't just my high school, it was people i knew from all over.