Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Planes, Trains, And Automobiles...

dgmodel

Im reading this article yesterday, and it says that train and automotive travel is up since 9/11 due to fear and etc... and then the author of the article goes off on this tangent on how travel by car has a greater probability of crashing than a plane crash... (derf weve all heard this a 1000x's right???) however what popped into my head for the first time, is that everyone says that, however theyre comparing apples to oranges... they should compare what chance of dying does one hold more against the other... think about it... when was the last time you drove or was driven someplace, today, yesterday maybe even this week... however when was teh last time you flew, maybe last month, maybe a few times this year... who knows... so of course your probability of crashing in a car is greater because youre in more cars than planes... however... the probability of dying in car accident is prolly less than dying in a plane no??? so the second thing that popped into my head was, sure i have a greater chance of losing a $1 bill than a $100 bill, but which one would i care more about losing???

now im not saying dont fly, or never fly or trying to great some anxiety for already nervous flyers... all im saying is that, that "greater chance in car..." theorum, or statement or whatever the fuck it is... is bullshit... and its like comparing apples to oranges or britney to christina or you get the pic...

anyone else agree with me or am i just a crazed old man who has nothing better to do than argue with a newspaper???

On the floors of Tokyo

Down in London town's a go-go

With the record selection

And the mirror's reflection

I'm a-dancing with myself

Oh, when there's no one else in sight

In the crowded, lonely night

Well, I wait so long for my love vibration

And I'm dancing with myself

{Refrain}

Oh, oh, oh dancing with myself

Well there's nothing to lose

And there's nothing to prove

And I'm dancing with myself

Oh, oh, oh, oh

If I looked all over the world

And there's every type of girl

But your empty eyes seem to pass me by

And leave me dancing with myself

So let's sink another drink

'Cause it'll give me time to think

If I had a chance, I'd ask one to dance

And I'd be dancing with myself

{Refrain}

Oh, oh, oh, oh (4x)

Well, if I looked all over the world

And there's every type of girl

But your empty eyes seem to pass me by

And leave me dancing with myself

So let's sink another drink

'Cause it'll give me time to think

And I'll be dancing with myself

{As refrain}

Oh, oh, oh, oh (4x)

Oh, oh, oh, dancing with myself Oh, world's all wet

Oh, oh, oh, dancing with myself I'm gonna sweat

Oh, oh, oh, dancing with myself I'm gonna sweat

Oh, oh, oh, dancing with myself sweat (18x)

Oh, oh, oh, dancing with myself (repeat to fade)

I see your rationale, but you are looking at it from a personal perspective.

If you take the angle of the entire U.S. population, you would see how packed the airports are. Business travellers abound on every flight, and often travel by air sometimes once a month. Individuals may only travel by air once, twice a year, but IN TOTAL with all other travellers, that's A LOT of planes flying overhead.

I swear , on any given day, I'll see one plane every minute fly over long beach, since that area is a major thoroughway for airplanes going to JFK (just like Woodside is one for LaGuardia)

Sure, there are more total cars, which should mean more possible accidents , but i don't think the chances are THAT extremely different from each other.

And on a personal note, i must have flown almost 100 times, with no problems, aside from some turbulence. I always choose major carriers, since small jet companies have a higher tendency for accidents and engine trouble, such as the tragedy that occured to senator Paul Wellstone :(