Clubplanet Nightlife Community

ATTN: Motorcycle Owners / Buffs Etc...

Originally posted by tommyb

My only question to you OU812 is this:

Where you riding a 600 supersport bike at age 12? Or was your first bike a little smaller?

:laugh: :laugh:

Actually, no, I first started riding then racing motocross at 11 or 12. But even back then when I was younger I used to like to ride bigger bikes too.........my favorite dirtbike I've thrown a leg over thus far was a KX 500:flame:

I didn't ride street bikes until I was 20. But there first streetbike I ever rode was actually a GSXR-1100. I like bigger bikes not neccessarily because they have more power, but because they have a broader range of power, know what I mean.

I've ridden 600's and hated the fact that you have to tapdance on the shifter and rev the thing into the +9000 rpm range to be in the meat of the power, where as on an open class bike you can chug along at 3000 rpm or wind it out to 10,000 rpm and still be in the power if need be.

Originally posted by tommyb

My only question to you OU812 is this:

Where you riding a 600 supersport bike at age 12? Or was your first bike a little smaller?

:laugh: :laugh:

Actually, no, I first started riding then racing motocross at 11 or 12. But even back then when I was younger I used to like to ride bigger bikes too.........my favorite dirtbike I've thrown a leg over thus far was a KX 500:flame:

I didn't ride street bikes until I was 20. But there first streetbike I ever rode was actually a GSXR-1100. I like bigger bikes not neccessarily because they have more power, but because they have a broader range of power, know what I mean.

I've ridden 600's and hated the fact that you have to tapdance on the shifter and rev the thing into the +9000 rpm range to be in the meat of the power, where as on an open class bike you can chug along at 3000 rpm or wind it out to 10,000 rpm and still be in the power if need be.

Tommyb -

Thanks for keeping the topic on track here with the safety part of it all. The MSF is probably the best thing to have for a new rider. It really emphasizes the low speed things with the bike. At higher speeds (I don't mean going too fast here) the bike is stable. At low speeds, the bike wants to fall over.

You can get Nolan or KBC helmets for the lower prices, but the Arai Quantum f is going to run upwards of $400.

I started on the 600, I love it, and yes there is alot of shifting going on, but the rider has more to do with the speed than the bike. I know my roads near my house and hold with 'busas and 1000 gixxers. The 600s are easier to handle since they are typically lighter.

I spent $$ on gear and I swear by Vanson. www.vansonleathers.com I have a 2-piece suit and a 1-piece race suit from them.

Good luck what ever you get, and if you want a good motorcycle forum - www.cycleforums.com - there is a GSSC sub-board for riders in the NY metro area and northern NJ. We ride alot, and have a good time out. The board there has alot of good information, advice and as with any board a good dose of BS.

Ride safe,

JDogg

oh, yeah - here's mine

IM001755.JPG

On Mount Washington, this past summer - 1500 miles in 4 days.