Clubplanet Nightlife Community

ONGAKU! is no more...

anteye

I did not take your post as you busting on me so no worries and I think you already have my answer to your question in my last post "what can be done to change that?".

Nothing against any promoters but I do know that they tend to tell club owners what they like to hear and not what they need to hear.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear you bro. but I think in the same light, we have to be pro-active and make the club owners listen to us. I would stand behind any proposal that would employ, club owners to take a little action and get our hometown peeps some of the exposure they deserve. maybe I’m dreaming, but I think it’s possible. I have some ideas bouncing around in my head, and I would be happy to share those ideas with you, Greg; or anybody else. maybe together we can come up with a few ideas, and make the club owners listen to us. I have faith in our scene, and I would never want it to become nothing but guest dj’s. especially when we have so much damn talent; right under our noses. I know I seem to be rambling a bit, but I really think we can make an impact.:)

totally agree with sobeton...

The super clubs should IGNITE the underground by showing off the locals, thgen these locals will start getting following that will follow them to their gigs in the lil clubs//

I know its cool to have a"big DJ" every friday and saturday, every weekend but it is probably killing the local music at a fast rate .

Lets try leaving the "big names" for special events such as WMC, etc...

IMHO I think when a Big Name comes more than once to miami, he doesnt give 100% each time...sometimes their sets suck so bad...while a local DJ could be tearin the place apart....

Locals in Miami have an advantage over locals in other cities, an established scene, various clubs, producers, international market, why not take advantge of this and make OUR BOYS the world's DJS???

Too bad to hear about these two parteis, definitely my fave 2...I hope you guys find a home soon and I'll be back dancing...

PEACE.

Originally posted by sobeton

maybe together we can come up with a few ideas, and make the club owners listen to us.

I think this is where the answer lies... U-N-I-T-Y... We need to somehow combine forces... It seems like a locals party opens and closes every month... I dont think the responsibility lies solely on the promoter... We need to show some of these big club owners what we can do... Before going in there and making a bunch of promises... I mean im sure everyone here knows how tough miami is...And most of the local talent is really really good... So what are we doing wrong??? IMO were alittle too spread out... At least at this point in time (sloweconomy,slow season, in a city governed by hip-hop) No pun intended...

My point being if some MORE locals go TOGETHER with a SOLID plan it could work...

My $.02

Jimmy

2 things...

1. I 'm not sure if I made it clear earlier, but the RED crew didn't back out on us. Our deal was that we got 100% of the door and a good percentage of the bar (no minimum bar guarantee.... virtually unheard of!!). I just couldn't afford to keep coming out of pocket and losing every penny.. and then some.

2. Earlier in this thread, Sean said....

......I'll tell you one thing.....the Friday morning of the party I went to Grooveman and aside from a small poster that was hard to see in their window there was not ONE flyer in the store. I had to go back to my car and put flyers in there. NO FLYERS AT GROOVEMAN? Something is definitely wrong with that....

Fact of the matter is that we printed up 5000 flyers (10.5 X 3.5) to fill a 300 person venue, and passed out every one. Unfortunately, those things do cost money... money that I didn't have to print more as the party drew closer. I figured, 5000 flyers + word of mouth + the power of the Rabbit... "there's nooo waaayy we can fail." Silly me.

Just wanted to clear those things up.

I learned a couple of things from ONGAKU

1. There are still positive genuinely nice people out there that are doing this because they love it, not because they want to make money.

examples:

Stryke getting meng to open up for confucious.

Matt buying me a brand new house. Just kidding that never really happened.

2. If the people throwing the party are your friends then it's even more of a reason to PAY entrance.

3. Oscarg is funny as hell.

Originally posted by sobeton

so what should we do ? sit back and bitch about it; or try to do something to change it :confused:

Those who gave a damn tried.....don't take offense to this, Tony, but where were YOU? not to mention that I've mailed you my demos since before I got my first gig and you've yet to see me spin live....