Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Question for the DJ's - Need Advice ASAP!

Well, that time has come... the needles that came with the turntables I'm using have totally worn out and they're worthless crap right now, so I have to replace them. :flush:

I'm trying to decide what I purchase as my own needles/cartridges now that I'm kind of free to choose. I really can't buy anything that's going to cost the monetary equivalent of my soul just yet, so I'm looking for something that's quality yet not painfully expensive (however, I may be willing to part with a little extra cash in return for something that's guaranteed to last me a really long time, etc).

Can anyone make some suggestions for me?? :confused:

get ortofons.

the ortofon nightclubs are arguably the best needle out there for dj use but the dj-s series do the trick as well.

nightclubs will run you around 150 each, dj-s's will be 120.

oh and if you see jonathan tomorrow tell him i say he's a bitch for not coming up here this weekend.

This is a good place to buy cartridges online. http://www.needledoctor.com

Here's the link that takes you to the dj cartridges they sell. They list the prices

http://www.needledoctor.com/showcat.cfm?catnum=23&parentcatnum=0

I was on google, they got alot of posts about the best cartridges. From what people say on there. The best cartridge for sound was Ortofon concord's the nightclub model, $120.00 each.

The ones below that that people liked, were the Stanton 520 SK Cartridge. This cartridge costs 50 dollars.

The other Stanton cartridge people liked, which they liked over the 520Sk, was the Stanton 680 HP Cartridge. Thats 70 dollars.

On google, they got alot of good info about cartridges. www.google.com just type in best dj cartridges, or ortofon stanton cartridge. You'll see alot of good posts. Here's one.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=best+dj+cartridges+stanton&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=5t8bjl%24okh%241%40news1.sirius.com&rnum=5

I want to know the opinions of whoever has heard the difference between the Ortofon Night Club and the Stanton Groovemaster series cartridges.

Some comments on cartridge sound:

I just built an project mix studio, and went for the cleanest sound I could get.

So, I borrowed a 500 and 680 from the club I play (SF, Calif. Stud Bar), installed new styluses, and bought one of each--Nightclub, Concord DJ, and Blue (new) Trackmaster. I also compared elliptical with conical stylus on the Ortofons. For a reference, I also compared a Sumiko Blue Point Special (audiophile type) cartridge.

Using USA 1200's, a Soundcraft D-MIX 1000, Bryston 4B, and Tannoy D-700's to audition four cartridges I found the following:

All the Stantons have a kind of soft high end, and slightly exaggerated mid-bass. The 500 and 680EL are actually cleaner at the top than the Trackmaster. The 680 is very clean and flat, and only lacks some fine detail compared to the best cartridges. Well, it also lacks front-to-back image depth (not an issue in clubs.)

The Trackmaster has a REAL big mid-bass bump, which hides the lowest bass notes on really well recorded synth stuff, and further makes the highs sound mellow by masking them. It is noticeable grainy compared to all the other cartridges, too. (Which probably explains why radio would be reluctant to use it--although I think indestructibility and cheaper replacement stylus are the key factors.)

For clubs with kind of vintage ('80's/early '90's) horn loaded PA, it might well be the best match, which would explain it's popularity in those venues. In fact, I ended up installing the Trackmasters in the Stud (Community PA, shitty subs) and the system sounds much fuller and phater than it did with the 500's they had used. Everyone there is happy. Also, for 70's and 80's stuff--often cut with reduced, mono, bass--it could help the sound.

The Ortofons turned out to be in another league. Both produced super detailed ruler flat response, extraordinary image breadth, depth, and stability, which matched or exceeded the audiophile cartridge (Blue Point).

The Nightclub had excellent bass (with no hump.) The Concord is even better down there--flat to below 30 Hz. It is better than the Blue Point, by far, in the 1200's to which it is obviously well matched. (Try Paul van Dyk's "Forbidden Fruit--BT's mix for an example...)

So, for re-mixing or making comp CD's, the Ortofons will sound better than any of the other choices. For a club with PA like a studio control room, they will sound better, too.

For most set-ups, the 680 would sound as good, or almost, and have 1/2 price stylus replacement cost.

The Trackmaster is phat and slamming, and may be best for many clubs PA's, but is the most colored, so you want to be aware of what you're getting.

Hope this is useful.

Originally posted by danwilson

This is a good place to buy cartridges online. http://www.needledoctor.com

Here's the link that takes you to the dj cartridges they sell. They list the prices

http://www.needledoctor.com/showcat.cfm?catnum=23&parentcatnum=0

I was on google, they got alot of posts about the best cartridges. From what people say on there. The best cartridge for sound was Ortofon concord's the nightclub model, $120.00 each.

The ones below that that people liked, were the Stanton 520 SK Cartridge. This cartridge costs 50 dollars.

The other Stanton cartridge people liked, which they liked over the 520Sk, was the Stanton 680 HP Cartridge. Thats 70 dollars.

On google, they got alot of good info about cartridges. www.google.com just type in best dj cartridges, or ortofon stanton cartridge. You'll see alot of good posts. Here's one.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=best+dj+cartridges+stanton&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=5t8bjl%24okh%241%40news1.sirius.com&rnum=5

I want to know the opinions of whoever has heard the difference between the Ortofon Night Club and the Stanton Groovemaster series cartridges.

Some comments on cartridge sound:

I just built an project mix studio, and went for the cleanest sound I could get.

So, I borrowed a 500 and 680 from the club I play (SF, Calif. Stud Bar), installed new styluses, and bought one of each--Nightclub, Concord DJ, and Blue (new) Trackmaster. I also compared elliptical with conical stylus on the Ortofons. For a reference, I also compared a Sumiko Blue Point Special (audiophile type) cartridge.

Using USA 1200's, a Soundcraft D-MIX 1000, Bryston 4B, and Tannoy D-700's to audition four cartridges I found the following:

All the Stantons have a kind of soft high end, and slightly exaggerated mid-bass. The 500 and 680EL are actually cleaner at the top than the Trackmaster. The 680 is very clean and flat, and only lacks some fine detail compared to the best cartridges. Well, it also lacks front-to-back image depth (not an issue in clubs.)

The Trackmaster has a REAL big mid-bass bump, which hides the lowest bass notes on really well recorded synth stuff, and further makes the highs sound mellow by masking them. It is noticeable grainy compared to all the other cartridges, too. (Which probably explains why radio would be reluctant to use it--although I think indestructibility and cheaper replacement stylus are the key factors.)

For clubs with kind of vintage ('80's/early '90's) horn loaded PA, it might well be the best match, which would explain it's popularity in those venues. In fact, I ended up installing the Trackmasters in the Stud (Community PA, shitty subs) and the system sounds much fuller and phater than it did with the 500's they had used. Everyone there is happy. Also, for 70's and 80's stuff--often cut with reduced, mono, bass--it could help the sound.

The Ortofons turned out to be in another league. Both produced super detailed ruler flat response, extraordinary image breadth, depth, and stability, which matched or exceeded the audiophile cartridge (Blue Point).

The Nightclub had excellent bass (with no hump.) The Concord is even better down there--flat to below 30 Hz. It is better than the Blue Point, by far, in the 1200's to which it is obviously well matched. (Try Paul van Dyk's "Forbidden Fruit--BT's mix for an example...)

So, for re-mixing or making comp CD's, the Ortofons will sound better than any of the other choices. For a club with PA like a studio control room, they will sound better, too.

For most set-ups, the 680 would sound as good, or almost, and have 1/2 price stylus replacement cost.

The Trackmaster is phat and slamming, and may be best for many clubs PA's, but is the most colored, so you want to be aware of what you're getting.

Hope this is useful.

dan maybe u should stick to givin dj tech advice than ur usual comical dj and music views

Originally posted by vixenfoxxy

Well, that time has come... the needles that came with the turntables I'm using have totally worn out and they're worthless crap right now, so I have to replace them. :flush:

I'm trying to decide what I purchase as my own needles/cartridges now that I'm kind of free to choose. I really can't buy anything that's going to cost the monetary equivalent of my soul just yet, so I'm looking for something that's quality yet not painfully expensive (however, I may be willing to part with a little extra cash in return for something that's guaranteed to last me a really long time, etc).

Can anyone make some suggestions for me?? :confused:

i personally use Orofon Concord Pros....they come with 2 spare styli....but they were kinda expensive.....for something kinda cheap but still has good sound....go with the Stanton 500AL's....i have a spare pair of those i use...and they are good

You gotta get to the $100 range for anything quality.......and then you look to the Ortofons. The pros are absolutely fine but if you want something superior you get the nightclubs or the concord pros.....this won't run you over $200 either.

If thats out of your budget a pair of Stantons will get you by for the time being.....

One word of advice, stay away from the Shure 44-7's......I don't care what any dj store salesman tries to push on you, they're garbage and should be used for nothing more than a door peg.

Originally posted by djjonstephen

One word of advice, stay away from the Shure 44-7's......I don't care what any dj store salesman tries to push on you, they're garbage and should be used for nothing more than a door peg.

:laugh: :laugh:

That's an excellent comment! I'll be sure to pass that along to whoever tries to sell me such.... :laugh2::D

So what's the deal on the concord pro vs. the nightclub s? Should I not bother with ortofons if I'm not going to go all the way and get the nightclub s? *sigh* decisions.... :(

Originally posted by vixenfoxxy

Alright, I happened to have received an offer for Ortofon Concorde Pro cartridges with 4 styli, slightly used.... asking around $130 for the pair. Should I go for these?

Those should be absolutely fine..........

To be honest, unless you got an incredible sound system you can't even tell the difference between the quality of those and the nightclubs.....