Clubplanet Nightlife Community

PVD is up to $50?

joeg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just haaaaaaaaaaaaaaad to draw out an argument in economy with an econ major. *smart* So please have some patience and bear with my marketing-major-grade microeconomics. :laugh:

See, that's the thing, I'm not sure that demand HAS increased. The main difference here between Roxy and the other venues is that Roxy is so much smaller, otherwise all this may not mean as much.

As for elasticity, I agree that they'd want to attract the max amount of people. However, that involves filling the club completely vs. over-flooding the place so much that you've a line ten blocks long. So in this scenario, "more is better" doesn't stand...THAT's why I think the price increase is a good idea. And considering that the big name factor decreases the elasticity of demand, a price increase will be less likely to significantly decrease attendance. Therefore, in any case, Roxy will retain a higher revenue per ticket, while the attendance (in the club, mind you) will not decrease proportionally.

Worst thing that can happen is that they'll have a shorter line...well...that, or a rampaging JoeG. ;)

Originally posted by lillizzy

i'm an econ major.

draw out a S-D graph. Shift your demand curve up, increase q and p. Shift S curve down, increase q, decrease p!

SO: if your demand went up, the quantity sold had to have gone up as well as the price. if you supply more, your price will decrease as your quantity increases. if you shift both, your quantity will go up, AND your price will stay the same!

NOW: it all depends on elasticity. is a price change really going to affect how much is sold? how many people are indifferent on a price change in PVD? they want to attract the MAX amount of people at the best price, which technically would be 40 bucks...an extra 50 is not necessary unless demand is highly elastic...meaning a 10 buck increase will decrease demand by more than the percentage amount...

think of it that way...

your price should go up only if you are expecting more people than exit/sf had...

Howells and Dt @ Arc = $30

Deep Dish @ Arc= $25

Sasha @ Arc = $30

Richie Hawtin & Sven Vath @ Arc = $30

Arc is alot smaller than Roxy yet they still charge 30 at the most to see dj's who are alot better than PVD.....Honestly I dont see the big deal about the guy....He hasnt come out with anything good in years.....But we'll save that argument for another day.....Either the promoters who threw this party overpaid awhole lot to book PVD or they're simply looking to make as much money as possible that night.....I remember back when a person paid 25 bucks to see the likes of PVD or Sasha....:rolleyes:

i just had our group of 7 bail on this idea. i hope the "paul faaaawwwwwkkkinnngggg van dyke" "destroys the phazon" and "works your little feet so hard that they hurt" among all the other gargabe that all the little feeble minded kiddies post on this board. i'll be exploring nyc and finding a much better way to spend $50. i suggest others do also and let made events suck on the massive bill the pvd will be charging for his 6 hours at the office.

:mad:

Dont forget about the 3 dollars it costs to hang your jacket.

The problem is not Roxy, its PVD. He probably asked for 60,000 to 80,000 from Roxy. Thats how much Exit paid him. The one thing I dont understand. At Centro Fly this past Saturday, they had DJ Dan and Christopher Lawrence. These are 2 of the biggest DJs in the world. Yet it only cost 20 dollars to get in on the guest list. If these 2 djs were at Exit or Roxy, it would have been 40 dollars to get in. Explain to me, how Centro Fly can charge 20 dollars and these other clubs would charge 40. Plus, Centro Fly is alot smaller then Roxy and Exit. You can fit 1000 more people in Roxy. Yet, Centro still only charged 20 dollars.

hey marketing-major xpander, are you going to pvd? we can chit-chat micro hahahaha

my theory on this is...pvd at roxy is elastic...b/c i think a 10 buck difference is going to piss ppl off, and the fact that pvd is here every 2 months practically...

hence, they're fucked with the 10 buck increase...unless everyone was smart and bought their tix prior to the change...and i think the increase was made b/c no one bought their tix prior (i don't know that many people that did)...hell if i knew that this was gonna happen, i'm sure scalpers would be out like crazy!

anyways, this is a good review for my micro midterm so keep arguing lol...

can i throw in shit about marginal profit? ... marginal profit has to be zero...so marg revenue and marg cost have to equal each other in order to obtain optimal total profit...i have to know one thing...how much is this costing and how much revenue will roxy pull in...guess we won't know until the night of lol

then we can resume the argument whether or not it was smart to institute a price increase

It's the promoter (four letters, begins with M - the ones who bring you all those cheaper events at Arc) who set the price

It sucks that the price changed so suddenly, but they did warn that the price would go up to $50 at some point.

If you can, go to the Roxy any weekday between 11 am and 6 pm, and save the surcharge. I think they also sell tix during regular club (or skating) hours, so if you go to Cox, I guess you can also buy PVD tix while there as well.

I'll be chugging Red Bulls before going to the club.

I hope I can go 8 hours without drinking anything (not even water), like I did when I saw him in Ibiza.

btw, When Oakie played at the World, wasn't the price for that something like $65?

I remember the price for Sasha + Digweed for Delta Heavy (also at World) was up there as well.

<big pvd fan

i would pay any price for him...HIM only though...if i had to pay 50 for say, avb...nah lol

I'm with you lizzy, I love PvD even and would pretty much pay whatever for him cuz I like his style. But honestly, everything in NY is alot more expensive than anywhere else so I don't know why everyone is so surprised. Like someone said earlier, you can go from Boston to Miami and pay a lot less simply because its not NY. And like Phunk said, you do pay for the image... even though I would get rid of it if it lowered the prices. For me (ignoring all this bla bla trance cheese talk), I can't think of a better way to spend 50 so whatever

Originally posted by legend38

No one can be on point all the time. What was so bad about his set?

hmm where should i begin...his boring tracks his cheesy exit type build ups and he was to fascinated with the nitrious system....i was totally amped to see him... my first night out in ibiza....ashely cassell opened up and he destryoed the place til about 3am....

pvd opens up with some wack ass version of overdrive,,,,,totally killing my amped up mood....

by far the worst set of my 10 days there.....the local talent blew him offf the island...

hopefully he wont dissapoint you guys

I KNOW CARL MOTHER FUCKING COX WONT DISSAPOINT.....

hahhhhh how can you compare pvd to exit style buildups???

very simple....

i used to go to exit.....

i have made pvd live sets

i head him in ibiza

so he had exit type buildups in ibiza plain and simple

ask rob hell tell you the same...he was the worst dj we heard on the island...

and believe me when i telll you how amped we were to hear him

50 bucks for PVD is wayy too much. I was about to buy the 40 dollar ticket online a day or 2 ago, cause I miss Roxy, and then i saw the 50.... i was like nooooooo wayyyyy. Give me Johnny Vicious at 25 dollars any day, I'll be satisfied. I guess Made Events or who ever is profiting from this event won't be getting ANY of my money.

Originally posted by msoprano13

very simple....

i head him in ibiza

i suggest you try again sometime... maybe not in NY cuz you seem to be pretty upset about the price thing but if you get the chance i would take it cuz he's never dissapointed me

Originally posted by msoprano13

very simple....

i head him in ibiza

I have a set of PVDs from Ibiza from September. I have to agree with you, it is definitely not his best. There are some buildups which don't really do it for you. Definitely not the same type of set I heard in Miami last March. But...everyone is entitled to an off night. What I heard in Miami blew me away. Still not sure about 50 bucks though. Maybe they will wise up and drop the price back down again.

Originally posted by digitaldan

i suggest you try again sometime... maybe not in NY cuz you seem to be pretty upset about the price thing but if you get the chance i would take it cuz he's never dissapointed me

im not pissed about the price,....if carl cox wasnt the night before and i wasnt working fri night i would def be there