Clubplanet Nightlife Community

In Regards to DJ Mag's Top 100

CHRles

First of all take a look at this list:

www.thedjlist.com

The DJ List, I have mixed feelings about it. Because it is based in the US it does a good job of pulling in fans of electronic music from the US to vote for their favorite DJs.

The problem is that it also attracts a lot of kids who have never been to a club or bought a CD, just downloaded stuff off the web.

Why else would DJ Sammy almost be in the top 100 all of a sudden now? I mean he knows how to produce (I know, I know, it’s very mainstream, but I listen to more then just underground stuff), and has been DJing for a long time, but it's obvious who's voting for him. Or why is Darude ranking so high on up there?

Deep Dish at number 19? Again, are people basing their votes just based on production and track selection?

I'll give you an example of a DJ from Tampa - DJ FBI at #117? Does he spin anywhere outside of Tampa? Is he even part of Tampa’s elite DJs? There are a lot of DJs in Central Florida who have proven themselves much moreso then he has.

Whats up with DJs like Flye, Funk Junkie, Sonix …..seriously, who votes for some of these people?

It’s one thing not to have Tenaglia rank top 10 on DJ Mag, which is UK based, but on the DJ list?

As for DJ Mag, anybody was able to vote for it as there was a voting option online. I know b/c I myself voted.

The thing is, as much as I love Ferry and Armin in terms of their prodution skills, and in terms of the records they spin, I still don’t think their top 10 material yet. On the other hand I'm very happy to see Trance doing so well on that list.

Some Progressive House fans were really upset Tiesto beat out Sasha and Digweed. I love all three of these DJs, and was actually really amused to see some people call it a travesty. Did they really think Trance was dead? LOL

The way I see it, Tiestos current sets run parallel to Paul Oakenfold’s sets in his prime around 1997, though Tiesto never trainwrecks. Tiestos current sets focus on Trance, Progressive House, and Tech Trance. Hell, after “Flight 643” it seemed like every other producer from Holland decided to start producing records more on the Tech tip. People also forget Tiesto’s pretty tight with all the other DJs in the top 10, and that includes people like Sasha or Oakie.

Anyways, it’s pretty hard to crack the DJ Mag Top 100 unless you played the UK or Ibiza this year. That’s why someone like Icey is NOT on that list. Look at the top 50 DJs and you’ll see that almost all of them have played events like Gods Kitchen and Gatecrasher in the past 12 months.

This is the biggest piece of shit list I have ever seen. Please!! All these ,I never heard of break beat Tampa Dj's and Josh wink like 173, derrick carter 100 change. Who the fuck is FBI? I'm sorry, can you say bogus!!!!!!!! Anyone giving this list any credibility lost any credibility. Please.

Forget this list as fast as you can.

Joe Budious here again