Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Low black turnout in Fla. aided Jeb Bush, study says

normalnoises

http://boston.com/dailyglobe2/313/nation/Low_black_turnout_in_Fla_aided_Jeb_Bush_study_says+.shtml

Low black turnout in Fla. aided Jeb Bush, study says

By Reuters, 11/9/2002

MIAMI - Low turnout among black voters helped Governor Jeb Bush win reelection by a larger victory margin than expected, according to a report published yesterday.

The Republican governor, who had been just ahead in opinion polls before the election, beat Bill McBride, a Democrat favored by African-Americans, by 56 percent to 43.2 percent.

An analysis of predominantly black precincts said black voters favored McBride overwhelmingly, by 94 percent to 6 percent. But only 43 percent of black voters cast ballots, compared with a 55 percent turnout among non-blacks, according to the survey conducted for the Miami Herald and the St. Petersburg Times by pollster Schroth and Associates.

Black turnout in the state for the November 2000 presidential election was 72 percent, helping create the extremely close result between George W. Bush and Al Gore, the vice president. Bush won by just 537 votes in the state after a post-election legal battle over recounts.

On Tuesday, Florida Democrats had counted on overwhelming turnout by black voters, although they knew that McBride, a lawyer and political novice, commanded less support among African-Americans than Janet Reno, the former US attorney general he defeated for the gubernatorial nomination in a primary in September. In part, they hoped that blacks, who make up 11 percent of Florida's voters, would be inspired to go to the polls after being disproportionately disenfranchised by voting snafus in 2000 and in the September primary.

As the campaign drew to a close, Democrats anxiously courted blacks, with appearances by President Clinton, Gore, and the Rev. Jesse Jackson. Jackson told voters not to be discouraged by the problems that plagued the last two statewide elections.

The US Commission on Civil Rights said in a report last year that black voters were nearly 10 times more likely than white voters to have their ballots rejected in the 2000 election.

A study last month by the American Civil Liberties Union said black voters were also disenfranchised more than others in the September primary election, which was marred by polling snafus in southern Miami-Dade and Broward counties.

Analysts said the turnout among blacks was a crucial factor in why McBride lost to the president's younger brother by so wide a margin, but even if black turnout had been higher, it would not have changed who won the election, the Herald said.

This story ran on page A2 of the Boston Globe on 11/9/2002.

© Copyright 2002 Globe Newspaper Company.

Originally posted by xpander

It's ridiculous this year, there are places logging voter turnout at around 30%. That's really embarassing more than anything else.

Xpander... Exactly. It shows how the people have lost confidence in the elections. They no longer believe their votes count considering how Afro-Americans were disenfranchised in the 2000 elections.

This works out to the advantage of the conservatives because most afro-americans lean tword the liberals.

And Drunk, just because one does not vote does NOT take from them their right to express their political view. How would you feel if someone told you that if YOU didn't vote, YOU have no right to express YOUR political view??

Just to let you know, I voted... Maybe not in Florida (seeing I'm from Massachusetts) but even if I didn't I'm STILL going to express my political views no matter what anyone says.

Originally posted by normalnoises

Xpander... Exactly. It shows how the people have lost confidence in the elections. They no longer believe their votes count considering how Afro-Americans were disenfranchised in the 2000 elections.

This works out to the advantage of the conservatives because most afro-americans lean tword the liberals.

And Drunk, just because one does not vote does NOT take from them their right to express their political view. How would you feel if someone told you that if YOU didn't vote, YOU have no right to express YOUR political view??

Just to let you know, I voted... Maybe not in Florida (seeing I'm from Massachusetts) but even if I didn't I'm STILL going to express my political views no matter what anyone says.

I agree with Drunk...it's not about not having the right to express your political view, you always have the right to do so. However, consider how hypocritical it is to complain about politics and the fruits thereof, and yet not make the effort once a year to go to the polls (which is pretty local for most people) and poke a few holes in your ballot.

I don't, and I don't see why anyone else should, have sympathy for anyone who is capable of voting, who then chooses NOT to, and then complain about the government.

Originally posted by normalnoises

its funny that u say this...cuz FOX and CNN did a study and it showed that the Demos. are losing black voters left and right...Repub. have increased black voters and the Indep. have really increased black voters....but many blacks are leaving the Demos. and joining the Indep. movement....funny how things change, even more surprising to me is how blacks are joining the Repub...unheard of before...

I like the George Carlin stance on voting.

See the truth is people try to switch it around on you. They say "Oh, you didn't vote then you have no right to complain"...............I say bullshit, "You voted, you put the guy in office, so when he fucks things up, you have no right to complain about it, since it was your choice to put him there."

I on the other hand, didn't vote for this guy, so I should have every right to complain about them all I want.

:D

Originally posted by ou812

See the truth is people try to switch it around on you. They say "Oh, you didn't vote then you have no right to complain"...............I say bullshit, "You voted, you put the guy in office, so when he fucks things up, you have no right to complain about it, since it was your choice to put him there."

I on the other hand, didn't vote for this guy, so I should have every right to complain about them all I want.

classic Carlin:aright:

Originally posted by ou812

:laugh: