Clubplanet Nightlife Community

weyes' wisdom of the day - 11/16

weyes

THis brings me to a dilemna, no, more like a conflict btw. 2 of your wisdoms, weyes.

So if i may ask a question:

An earlier wisdom states that we must not pursue things we feel under-confident about. However, here you state that we must try again even if we fail at first.

My question is, how do we know what to keep trying to do, or just give it up:confused:

Your turn, oh wise one ;)

Originally posted by gmccookny

THis brings me to a dilemna, no, more like a conflict btw. 2 of your wisdoms, weyes.

So if i may ask a question:

An earlier wisdom states that we must not pursue things we feel under-confident about. However, here you state that we must try again even if we fail at first.

My question is, how do we know what to keep trying to do, or just give it up:confused:

Your turn, oh wise one ;)

ah - i shall explain :) .

often my column is very specific when i read it to myself but seems to come across as more broad to others. sorry about that :( ! the one about not pursuing things in which we don't feel confident was not about "just things," it was about filling in for someone in a work-type situation. i wrote:

"committing yourself to something you're not entirely confident you can do just to try to be helpful or nice to fill in for someone can very easily lead to disaster. it's not your fault if you can't do something; whoever's asking will just have to find someone else. but you are partly to blame if you agree to the situation of which you're not totally sure and then find out you're in over your head."

and my point wasn't that we shouldn't try to be helpful, but that we should really assess these kinds of situations and try to see if the help that's being asked of us is something we are truly fit to give.

and this one isn't just "if at first... try again," but more "take care to see that you're really finding a good time to try - one that's right for you (and more likely to be successful, too :aright: )."

was that a good explanation :confused: ?