Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Small Venues

frozn

I have a list of 600 heads that I have collected over the last year from doing private parties.

I want to promote a night at a smaller venue that can fit 200 through the door. I figured that to start, I might as well go with a venue that I can pack easily. Can anyone point me in the direction of a place that would be interested?

Check with Boardner's in Hollywood (1652 N Cherokee, near Hlwd. Blvd.) They have dj's every other Friday night, so the owner seems to be down. There are tons of warehouses downtown that you could find too. Or what about a recording space? I went to a party at one in Hollywood last weekend and it was nearly silent outside because of all the soundproofing. If you want any help with planning/promoting it, I'd be willing...

I'm definitely interested in looking into Boardners. I have them on my list of places to look into, but my list gets longer every day and I don't have time to get to all of them. Do you know anyone on the inside at Boardners I could talk to? If you want to help out that's cool. what's your specialty?

Try The Opium Den on Ivar. I think they should have a Wednesday open now that Release has moved back to Peanuts. I think the contact person is Bruce Perdue, he also owns Blue. Boardners is a good one too and I don't think that there's a weekly promoter Fridays, I know they flip flop, so you might get in there. Goodbar is another 200 or so person venue.

You might want to comb the city for a venue that nobody has used yet, a dive bar with some style or a restaurant with a bar area, that isn't busy.

My roommate books sound stages and they throw monthly's or one offs there, I don't know how a weekly would work.

I know the owner of Luna Park wants to bring promoters in different nights of the week. Friday is mine, but maybe a Thursday night downstairs? It holds about 150 people and with the patio about 250. I know his downstairs promoter on Saturday is slacking, so I could probably get you in there...if you're serious.

[This message has been edited by dlish (edited 07-07-2000).]

Thanks guys. I'll check into those this weekend. As for small spots that haven't been done yet . . . Any suggestions? I am trying to crack the shell of the new owner at "The Cave" in Century City. I am always looking for a great space.

Hey frozn--I'll find out the name of Boardner's owner for you. A friend that I work with puts on the biweekly Friday nights I mentioned. As for me, I'm looking to start putting on events much like you are. But I'm still getting to know the LA scene--I don't know enough DJs yet and so on. For now I'm going to work on putting events together with other people who have at least a bit more experience with it than I do. Didn't mean to make it sound like I'm a pro at this or anything. So like dlish said, if you're serious about doing this let me know. smile.gif

frozn-check out Martini Lounge...It holds around 200+ people and I think they might have a Thursday opening (unless I take it).

[This message has been edited by dlish (edited 07-10-2000).]

Nope, I didn't go to the Art Center. I work at the same company as a guy named Cade, who throws Free Thinking at Boardner's. Is that who you were thinking of? He works on the opposite side of our company and I know him somewhat.

frozn--I haven't seen him today so I don't have the lowdown or the owner's name for you just yet.

Hey thanks for the suggestion. I appreciate the effort with Boardners, Martini, etc. Can you help me out with something else? What ways can you structure the deal? I would like 100% of the door and 10% of the bar to start. How does this sound to experienced ears? I know I'm not Ian Schrager but I don't want to get ripped off either. What is a good starting point? Also, I'll make sure I'm at Luna Friday.

I'm getting some heads together tonight for a dinner party at Louis XIV to talk about all of these things. Hopefully, you two can make it and we can go over some of these things. I have reservations at 9pm, under Dave. There will be some dj's, street promoters, graphic designers and friends. If you can make it, stop by.

I'm doing this at this location, because my friend Jackson, a great down tempo dj, throws Tuesdays there and I said I'd come down with some heads to support him. So, I'm killing two birds with one stone (there has to be another less violent saying) by helping him out and talking shop about promotions in LA. You two down? Anyone else is welcome that is interested too.

rkinla- No, the guy I know is Carter Theis. He's a dj and a student at Art Center. I don't know if his night is still going, but he was doing an every other Friday party there as well, possible the ones in between the guy you know.

Try and make it by Louix XIV tonight if you can, I'll introduce you to some people that can help you get a night off the ground.

Archived