Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Syndicated Cartoon....

sassa

Syndicated cartoon portrays Muhammad as terrorist

Prophet of Islam shown driving nuke-laden Ryder truck

NEWS RELEASE | 12/22/2002

(Washington, D.C.) - A national Islamic civil rights and advocacy group today expressed outrage at a Doug Marlette syndicated editorial cartoon, headlined "What Would Mohammed Drive?" showing the Prophet Muhammad driving a nuclear bomb-laden truck similar to that used by Timothy McVeigh in the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing.

The Washington-based Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) called for an apology from Marlette's syndicator, Tribune Media Services, and from his employer, the Tallahassee Democrat.

The cartoon is apparently a play on a recent light-hearted public debate over what kind of car Jesus would drive. Its publication comes following worldwide outrage over a similar accusation of terrorism against Muhammad by American evangelist Jerry Falwell.

"Defamatory attacks on Islam and on the Prophet Muhammad by media outlets or religious leaders only serve to harm our nation's image worldwide and divide America along religious lines. Unfortunately, it now seems to be 'open season' on Islam in certain religious and political circles," said CAIR Executive Director Nihad Awad. Awad also objected to what he termed a "racist and stereotypical" portrayal of "Muhammad." (Muslims object to any visual representations of the Prophet.)

"By learning more about the Prophet Muhammad, people of conscience will discover that he was a prime example of tolerance and mercy," said Awad. He suggested viewing the documentary, "Muhammad: Legacy of a Prophet," aired recently on PBS.

The cartoon is the latest in a series of negative religious portrayals addressed by CAIR. The group recently protested the depiction of a Jesus-like figure in a TV Guide Channel commercial promoting professional wrestling. After being contacted by many concerned Muslims, the network cancelled the commercial. (Muslims revere Jesus as a prophet of God.)

Hundreds of Muslims also contacted the Philadelphia Inquirer newspaper to protest another editorial cartoon that linked Islam with intolerance and violence. The newspaper later issued a clarification of the cartoonist's intent.

ACTION REQUESTED: (As always, be POLITE. Hostile comments will only serve to further harm the image of Islam and Muslims.)

Contact the Tallahassee Democrat to request an apology for their defamatory attack on the Prophet Muhammad.

Mary Ann Lindley

Editorial Page Editor

Tallahassee Democrat

277 N. Magnolia Drive

Tallahassee, FL 32301

TEL: (850) 599-2100

E-MAIL: mlindley@taldem.com, inquiry@dougmarlette.com, ddwilliams@tribune.com, wmahoney@tribune.com, mpope@taldem.com, mlindley@taldem.com, tdedit@taldem.com

why should the guy have to apologize??....i can see how it is insensitive...but cartoons always poke fun at current events and are meant to....people are so soft skinned and always think things should be done in the politically correct way....i would never be offended by a cartoonist from the tallahassee newspaper....whether he made fun of any god, diety, or religion...free speech...free press...free to post your thoughts...

Originally posted by sassa

i bet if it was one of jesus or moses, you people would be shitting bricks...please.

it is offensive to many people. i understand that poking fun is ok, but this says much more than what appears.

can you blame the guy who did the cartoon? I am sure in muslim coutries they probably make funny cartoons of jesus and moses.

Originally posted by dnice35

can you blame the guy who did the cartoon? I am sure in muslim coutries they probably make funny cartoons of jesus and moses.

Uh no they don't, dnice. Shows how little you know. If the muslims were to make fun of Jesus and Moses, we would be making fun of our own religion cuz we admire and respect both of them.

Originally posted by underwater

you could draw jesus fucking an altar boy and it would not even make me flinch....who gives a shit....all religion is a waste of time anyway....evolution from the apes....into ape people...into humans.....thats all i believe in

:jawdrop: ...(steps away, to avoid lighting bolt)

Syndicated cartoon portrays Muhammad as terrorist

Prophet of Islam shown driving nuke-laden Ryder truck

NEWS RELEASE | 12/22/2002

(Washington, D.C.) - A national Islamic civil rights and advocacy group today expressed outrage at a Doug Marlette syndicated editorial cartoon, headlined "What Would Mohammed Drive?" showing the Prophet Muhammad driving a nuclear bomb-laden truck similar to that used by Timothy McVeigh in the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing.

The Washington-based Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) called for an apology from Marlette's syndicator, Tribune Media Services, and from his employer, the Tallahassee Democrat.

The cartoon is apparently a play on a recent light-hearted public debate over what kind of car Jesus would drive. Its publication comes following worldwide outrage over a similar accusation of terrorism against Muhammad by American evangelist Jerry Falwell.

"Defamatory attacks on Islam and on the Prophet Muhammad by media outlets or religious leaders only serve to harm our nation's image worldwide and divide America along religious lines. Unfortunately, it now seems to be 'open season' on Islam in certain religious and political circles," said CAIR Executive Director Nihad Awad. Awad also objected to what he termed a "racist and stereotypical" portrayal of "Muhammad." (Muslims object to any visual representations of the Prophet.)

"By learning more about the Prophet Muhammad, people of conscience will discover that he was a prime example of tolerance and mercy," said Awad. He suggested viewing the documentary, "Muhammad: Legacy of a Prophet," aired recently on PBS.

The cartoon is the latest in a series of negative religious portrayals addressed by CAIR. The group recently protested the depiction of a Jesus-like figure in a TV Guide Channel commercial promoting professional wrestling. After being contacted by many concerned Muslims, the network cancelled the commercial. (Muslims revere Jesus as a prophet of God.)

Hundreds of Muslims also contacted the Philadelphia Inquirer newspaper to protest another editorial cartoon that linked Islam with intolerance and violence. The newspaper later issued a clarification of the cartoonist's intent.

ACTION REQUESTED: (As always, be POLITE. Hostile comments will only serve to further harm the image of Islam and Muslims.)

Contact the Tallahassee Democrat to request an apology for their defamatory attack on the Prophet Muhammad.

Mary Ann Lindley

Editorial Page Editor

Tallahassee Democrat

277 N. Magnolia Drive

Tallahassee, FL 32301

TEL: (850) 599-2100

E-MAIL: mlindley@taldem.com, inquiry@dougmarlette.com, ddwilliams@tribune.com, wmahoney@tribune.com, mpope@taldem.com, mlindley@taldem.com, tdedit@taldem.com

what a fucking asswipe....:mad:

Originally posted by mrmatas2277

:eek: ...hey man, i have heard weird shit and seen even weirder (is that even a word?) shit...i believe...

i want to be a believer!!....but i always say that i will never believe in ghosts until on presents itself to me....same thing with the devil....i will never believe in the devil until he is standing in front of me and introduces himself.... :licker:

just because you can't see something it doesn't mean it has no existence...

logic doesn't have a form, yet people use it every day.

same goes for reason, love, anger, etc...

well i don't have to literally "see" something....i want to be contacted in any form...a gentle wind....lightning....a demon manifestation....something like that....i don't believe anything that people claim to have experienced...so until i do for myself...it does not exist (in my head).....i am open to the experience though i am not holding my breath for the day i am proven wrong....