Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Lieberman to run in '04

Lieberman to Run for President in 2004

Sen. Joseph Lieberman, Freed of Pledge Not to Run Against Al Gore, to Seek Presidency in 2004

The Associated Press

STAMFORD, Conn. Jan. 13 —

Sen. Joseph Lieberman, freed of his self-imposed pledge to defer to Al Gore, announced Monday he is running for president in 2004, saying the nation needs leaders "ready to lead."

"Two years ago, we were promised a better America, but that promise has not been kept," the senator, the Democrats' vice presidential nominee in 2000, told students at his old high school.

He said the nation can "renew the American dream. ... if our leaders are ready to lead, willing to fight for what's right for the American people and able to rise above partisan politics to put our country first."

"I am a candidate for president of the United States and I intend to win," he said.

Lieberman told the crowd at Stamford High that he was ready to "put our country first, to fight for what is right for the American people."

"I intend to talk straight to the American people and to show them that I am a different kind of Democrat," he said. "I will not hesitate to tell my friends when they are wrong and to agree with my opponents when they are right."

Lieberman had stressed since 2000 that if Gore ran again, he would not. Then Gore announced in December that he would not run. The next day, Lieberman thanked the former vice president for his leadership and said he would take the next several weeks to "very seriously consider the awesome opportunity that I now have."

He joins a crowded field. Vermont Gov. Howard Dean, Missouri Rep. Dick Gephardt, Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry and North Carolina Sen. John Edwards are running.

Among the others considering a bid are Connecticut's senior senator, Christopher Dodd; Sens. Bob Graham of Florida and Joseph Biden of Delaware; former Sen. Gary Hart of Colorado; and the Rev. Al Sharpton, a civil rights activist.

The first Jew on a major-party presidential ticket, Lieberman was known, but not well-known, before Gore picked him to be his running mate in 2000.

Lieberman, a centrist, had long campaigned against violent images in the media and was a strong supporter of the Gulf War. He also drew national attention when he criticized President Clinton's affair with Monica Lewinsky from the Senate floor.

As the vice presidential candidate, Lieberman introduced America to the habits of an Orthodox Jew. He refused to campaign on Saturdays, the Jewish Sabbath, although he would work or cast votes if necessary.

Lieberman said he would not favor Israel over the United States. He also earned the respect of Christian activists, embracing issues such as family, morality and reverence.

As Gore's running mate, Lieberman drew criticism from Republicans who accused him of softening or abandoning his positions on issues such as school vouchers and affirmative action to shore up Democratic support. Lieberman denied changing his positions.

As soon as the 2000 race was over, Lieberman was considered a prospect for 2004, and he traveled from New Hampshire to California through his Responsibility Opportunity and Community PAC.

Associated Press writer Will Lester contributed to this report from Washington.

:cry::cuss::mad: