Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Apparently, DC Blows

cookiegirl

Collegetown, U.S.A.: Miami is a great place to, er, study

BY JENNIFER MALONEY

jmaloney@herald.com

Miami is a great place to, er, study.

Not as great as New York. . . or Boston or D.C. or Chicago. But, hey, it's better than Providence, R.I.

So says The Princeton Review in its annual guide to the nation's best 345 colleges. In a list of the 20 best college towns, Miami ranked fifth. It's the first time since the guide's inaugural 1992 issue that Miami has made the best list.

University of Miami students -- whose survey responses were among those used to create the list -- say they belong even higher.

''D.C. beat out Miami?'' said Pamela Schiess, 18, sitting outside UM's student center on a downright warm winter morning.

Miami: 72 degrees.

D.C.: 27 degrees.

''D.C. blows. Their club scene is nothing compared to here,'' interjected Jonathan Horowitz, 19, whose winter attire consisted of a short-sleeved polo shirt. ``New York's awesome, but nothing compares to Miami.''

About 100,000 students at 345 colleges filled out The Princeton Review's 70-question survey answering questions on topics including the prevalence of marijuana on campus, the availability of professors and the edibility of the cafeteria food.

The University of Miami was the only Miami-Dade college among the 345. The Princeton Review, which is not affiliated with Princeton University, used the surveys to rank colleges in 62 areas. UM appeared on one other ''top 20'' list. It ranked No. 6 among colleges where students of different racial and financial backgrounds interact. New York University was No. 1.

Among the queries, students were asked to rate their college town on a five-point scale. Young people at the University of Miami -- at least, the 300-some who filled out surveys -- apparently don't like the surrounding city quite as much as students at Georgetown. Or Boston University. Or the University of Chicago. Or NYU.

One reason the Magic City may not have received high marks: the need for wheels.

''In New York, you can walk everywhere,'' said Elizabeth Tim-Young, a UM junior majoring in psychology. ''To get to the beach by bus -- can you imagine?'' added her classmate, Joanna Torrens. ``It would take five hours.''

Ah yes, the beach -- next to football and clubbing, Miami's biggest draw. Don't you students up north -- emphasis on north -- wish you could study on the beach?

''Absolutely,'' said Michael Walsh, a Boston University sophomore. ``When the wind's gusting down Commonwealth Avenue and you're being blown back, you kind of swear and wish you were in the warm temperature.''

Not Victoria Pingarron, a senior at New York University, who said she visited Miami once. ''I got bored,'' she said. That's nonsense, said Eddie Fernandez, a UM junior.

Thursday, you've got ''college night'' in the Grove. Friday and Saturday night you've got South Beach -- if you're old enough.

''And Sunday you try to study,'' he joked.

Shante Berrios -- a UM sophomore who grew up in Las Vegas -- said Miami has all the essentials of a great city: good football, beautiful people, an exciting mix of cultures and perfect weather.

''I just don't like being cold,'' she said. ``If it was cold, I'd never go to class.''

i wonder if level of education was one of the criteria that was also measured. :rolleyes:

well, anyway, sometimes i wish i was in warmer weather, but dc is great, although typical me i will probably move somewhere else unless something weird happens.

dont know if i could live in miami, great place to visit, but sometimes the humidity there is just as bad as the cold weather

fuck that...for me, the vibe can make or break a night and the vibe at all the clubs I've been to in Miami sucks my ass.....not to mention the bullshit door policy/ "guestlist" crap they pull....they may get world class djs but the crowds suck....

granted, i haven't been everywhere, but I would love to go to a place you could just chill instead of ducking big haired chicks with plastic chests and 10 lbs of make up on...

I've never been to DC (well, except like with my parents about 20 years ago) but I'm supposed to come down one day to meet this eggmok fellow who has some sort of facination with me. I'm guessing (and hoping) it's sexual only and that he isn't a stalker or anything.

Originally posted by Crackorn

I've never been to DC (well, except like with my parents about 20 years ago) but I'm supposed to come down one day to meet this eggmok fellow who has some sort of facination with me. I'm guessing (and hoping) it's sexual only and that he isn't a stalker or anything.

who is eggmok?

...back to the topic!

I lived down in Hollywood, FL and now I'm in College Park, MD. Both places have their advantages.

My only problem with Miami is that it can be too $$$$ to go out!

They always got something going on. But I like DC too, is nice to see the change in the weather!

:hat:

Originally posted by Crackorn

As long as you're not some 6 year old girl, you don't have to worry about egg stalking you. But if you are. Be afraid. Be very afraid.