Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Major NYC clubs SHUT DOWN...Effect is.....

Last week 2 of NYC major venues shut down after a long year and half investigation in drug trafficing. Exit and Sound Factory close until further notice......What effect will this have now on the NJ venues? Are New Yorkers going to look else where into the NJ clubs and lounges for a more consistant party? whats everyones opinion on what will happen?

-Louie Live

im sure it will have something on jersey. so many jersey people go to the city now they wont.

the truith is the last of the NY club scene IMO is dead. Not really knocking other places that are open. in the last 10 yrs you think of the hottest venues in the city and they were probably limelight tunnel factory palladium twilo and exit. well exit had a short run but at one point for a while it was still an over packed hot spot. the only place left now is roxy really. i mean webster hall is open but its too touristy and commercial now. I hear the court date is this week somehow i think the clubs may get an injunction and be able to at least stay open for now. im sure security will be tighter. I know factory only got shut down one time for one night somehow i cant see it just closing that quickly look how long it took to close limelight and tunnel. I do think before they can just shut them down they have to prove that not only were drugs being sold in ther but the club knew it and let it happen. For anyone who has gone and brought stuff in they know that even though security does a good check you can still sneak things in. Its also hard when there are thousands of people in a club for the ecurity to make sure there are no fights and then on top make sure not one person is doing drugs. the only way to stop drugs in clubs is close them all at once. They seem to go hand in hand since 54 or maybe before.The sad part is because i been around long enough they should be happy the way things are. These people dont remember the 80 and early 90s when clubs werent getting closed because of drugs. They were getting closed because people were getting shot and stabbed and whatever. i mean god forbid someone goes to a club and drops some pills and everyone seems to get along. We would never want that. Besides the governemt doesnt let us enjoy whats good for us. they let us enjoy thngs they can control and make money from. I think there are less people that died deom E than from alcohol in one way or another. just my 2 cents

i agree with notallthere partially. NYC was dying. Guilani killed it.

Gone are the days of limelight tunnel and twilo. Think about it the last year or so it was almost factory or nothing. not like the days of choosing if you wanted to go to factory , tunnel limelight palladium twilo or roxy. it was like 1 or 2 good clubs. A friend of mine has been to amsterdam london cancun A just about everywhere. I use to ask how the clubs were and he never sounded thrilled. He would say when you are use to the best club scene in the world the rest is just ok. Now NYC has fallen to the bottom. However i dont think jersey scen will ever be on top. Not that we dont have good clubs. the state isnt set up for it. We dont have places or the people to fill them like NYC had. If we had 4 clubs the size of exit or factory they would all go under no matter who was spinning there. I will say musically now and who is spinning its never been so good in jersey as it is now so in one way we are kinda spoiled.

DOUBLEPLAY "Now NYC has fallen to the bottom. However i dont think jersey scen will ever be on top. Not that we dont have good clubs. the state isnt set up for it. "

I HAVE TO AGREE WITH THIS COMMENT 100%. NYC HAS DEF FALLEN OFF THE MAP OVER THE YEARS DUE TO MANY FACOTRS. ALL OF THEM LISTED IN THIS THREAD...BUT JERSEY WILL NEVER BE ON TOP FOR 2 REASONS....NO OFFENCE TO ANYONE I LIV EIN JERSYE.. BUT JERSEY IS FULL OF POSERS NUMBER 1...AND NUMBER 2 JERSEY PEOPLE ARE TO CONCERNED WITH FASION AND ALL THAT B.S. INSTEAD OF THE MUSIC.

PERFECT EXAMPLE: THE #3 D.J. IN THE WORLD SELLS OUT SHOWS ALL OVER, PACKS ARC/ SHELTER EVERY FRIDAY NIGHT IN NYC...COMES TO JERSEY TO PLAYS ABYSS AND THE CLUB ONLY DOES HALF OF WHAT IT USUALLY DOES ON A NORMAL FRI/ SAT NIGHT. WHY? THE SCENE ISN'T THERE..PEOPLE DONT KNOW ABOUT HE MUSIC...DON'T GET ME WRONG SOME DO...MOST DON'T...AND THAT MY 2 CENTS!

PERFECT EXAMPLE: THE #3 D.J. IN THE WORLD SELLS OUT SHOWS ALL OVER, PACKS ARC/ SHELTER EVERY FRIDAY NIGHT IN NYC...COMES TO JERSEY TO PLAYS ABYSS AND THE CLUB ONLY DOES HALF OF WHAT IT USUALLY DOES ON A NORMAL FRI/ SAT NIGHT. WHY? THE SCENE ISN'T THERE..PEOPLE DONT KNOW ABOUT HE MUSIC...DON'T GET ME WRONG SOME DO...MOST DON'T...AND THAT MY 2 CENTS!

same reason why we dont book DEEP DISH at Bunka...not worth it for the majority....NJ Clubs Cater to the Majorities for the Most part.....

Originally posted by doubleplay1970

Besides the governemt doesnt let us enjoy whats good for us. they let us enjoy thngs they can control and make money from. I think there are less people that died deom E than from alcohol in one way or another. just my 2 cents

Since when was popping pills good for you?

While alcohol will kill you slowly and eat away at your liver, one hit of E can kill you on the spot. Not saying that most of us dont partake, im just saying...I would hardly say its the healthiest or safest thing to do.

I think a lot of people that die/almost die from E are covered up. Clubs dont want people to see that shit on the news, they dont want to risk getting closed. I never saw it with my own eyes, but isnt that why they have all those "private" ambulance companies? My 2 cents. :D

Originally posted by upperlevelent

DOUBLEPLAY "Now NYC has fallen to the bottom. However i dont think jersey scen will ever be on top. Not that we dont have good clubs. the state isnt set up for it. "

I HAVE TO AGREE WITH THIS COMMENT 100%. NYC HAS DEF FALLEN OFF THE MAP OVER THE YEARS DUE TO MANY FACOTRS. ALL OF THEM LISTED IN THIS THREAD...BUT JERSEY WILL NEVER BE ON TOP FOR 2 REASONS....NO OFFENCE TO ANYONE I LIV EIN JERSYE.. BUT JERSEY IS FULL OF POSERS NUMBER 1...AND NUMBER 2 JERSEY PEOPLE ARE TO CONCERNED WITH FASION AND ALL THAT B.S. INSTEAD OF THE MUSIC.

Upperlevel......I was at that party at Abyss that you did......And i will tell you why it did half the volume it did. Because NJ has always had this COMMERICAL title to it....If you wanted HARD REAL music you had to go to NYC......NOW the tables are turned.......And its SAD that ownership and management of clubs in NJ still try to stuff the same commerical shit down ppl throats......because most of them are scared to try anything and commit to it......If a club GROOMS its customers to a style of music each week it will spread as it has in the city...... While DJs doing guest spots at NJ clubs are great it only lasts for the nite they are there.....A problem that occurred at you party at abyss was that everyone thought it was a joke....that DT was gonna be there......and added to the fact that most of the promotion for the nite was in the city and had no real backing from NJ promoters. Each one of these small elements is what added to the result of the nite....Even tho the music was still great.

If anyone has been an advicate to get REAL music and more euro based music into NJ clubs its been me....Problem that has come up is a lack ok DJs with talent and the ones with talent or ones who have established themselves in NY venues want insane $$$$ which a NJ venue would never be able to do because of the size of the venue and its cover charge.......Everyone involved in the scene needs to see wants going on and come to an understand that will benefit everyone before the entire CULTURE itself is lost with the fall of the larger NY venues.

-Louie Live

I had a great time that night..............

There were some die hard NJ Be Yourselfers there.............. as well as people who cared about what there lip stick looked like and if there glasses were crooked .............. but the Music was great and the DT crowd was def. jammin' all night..............

"Take the shackles off my feet so I can dance" <--- I sang it the whole way home..........................

Originally posted by perns2002

I had a great time that night..............

There were some die hard NJ Be Yourselfers there.............. as well as people who cared about what there lip stick looked like and if there glasses were crooked .............. but the Music was great and the DT crowd was def. jammin' all night..............

"Take the shackles off my feet so I can dance" <--- I sang it the whole way home..........................

i agree with your 2 cents lol