Clubplanet Nightlife Community

City of God (GREAT MOVIE!)

Hey – just wanna let you guys know about this movie – we saw it last night – Amazing!!! It’s a brazilian movie – Portuguese w/english subtitles…..about the slums and drug/gang life….very gripping…..its only being shown at the Angelika Theater on Houston/Mercer St…..but if you can, try to go check this film out!!!!:idea:

here's the blurb:

In a shocking mix of style and realism, Fernando Meirelles's eye-opening film takes you inside the poverty-stricken favelas of Rio de Janeiro, where residents cower in fear while squads of brutal teenagers run the neighborhood drug trade. While watching his peers seduced by lives of crime and violence, one young man determines to break free and become a professional photographer

Well, i'm no where near 18 years old anymore, so movies like goodfellas, etc. just dont do it for me......This gangland shooter lacks anything emotional to go along with it.......It was just two hours of Intense Violence......If i want to see a little child get shot at point blank range in a movie, I would hope that an excellent plot would justify me watching it.....and unfortunatley, this didn't have one.

Originally posted by fwilso01

Well, i'm no where near 18 years old anymore, so movies like goodfellas, etc. just dont do it for me......This gangland shooter lacks anything emotional to go along with it.......It was just two hours of Intense Violence......If i want to see a little child get shot at point blank range in a movie, I would hope that an excellent plot would justify me watching it.....and unfortunatley, this didn't have one.

are you sure 'plot' is the word you're looking for here? even if so, its based on a true story, unfortunately the truth is violent and ugly in this case......I also felt there was a lot more to it than gratuitous violence......but to each his own

did you think the cinematography was excellent?

I guess all in all for me it was worth watching because it portrayed a life I wouldn't be able to experience firsthand

Originally posted by fwilso01

Welcome to the world of INDEPENDENT PRODUCTION.

If you are into mainstream, like Goodfellas, etc.- then stick to mainstream. Your argument is irrelevant.

The movie is not concentrated on a little boy getting shot.

I guess when you understand the indepth meaning of an independant flick, you can actually reason with a valid statement.

Uggggghhhhh......

I hate this.....

people watch "city of god" or "run lola run" because the NY Post gives it a good review, and then they think they can be a judge at Cannes.

You want a good ""Independent Production""?, go see AMEN or Russian Ark.....both are out now, and both are excellent....GERRY may be good also, but I haven't caught it.

And I used goodfellas as an example, because I HATE it, and that is all city of god is, a low budget goodfellas.

And Please learn the difference between Foreign and Independent.

City of God is Foreign....NOT independent.....It was Released in the US by MIRIMAX!

I'll stick with EW and The LA Times in saying that it is a good movie, but nothing to write home about.

Thank you

I'm no film critic, I'm just saying I liked the movie....and found it thought provoking although violent as hell

I guess you're prolly worked up over her reply not mine but still...

although Run Lola Run was pretty great too...I admit it is tempting to give movies automatic props because of their foreign nature and non-hollywood feel, and maybe I'm affected by that...but nonetheless, wouldn't you still say these might be good movies to check out, especially for someone who hasn't really seen a lot of non-hollywood flicks?

(I've only been seeing foreign films for less than a year now, but since I started I really seem to enjoy most of them......maybe after a while I'll see things differently)

another one I liked a lot was Amores Perros.....did you like that one?