Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Ok so we know your opinions on bellini.......

beatfriek

but what do you guys think about Cedric Gervais???

They both spin the origins party at crobar, which is supposedly one of the most premiere parties on the beach based on music, but what are yuz guys feelings on the dude that controls the indio loco party at nikki's, and opium too!!!!

I personally like him better than bellini for the fact that he diversifies himself more than ivano does, by playing various mixes of different songs, and can reach deep into his crate to lay out classics that usually you would never hear from bellini... I think he also has a good 10 bpm + on ivano too????

He may have the technical skills to be a DJ, but he doesn't stand out in my mind. He can mix track A into track B, but doesn't have a unique style yet. Probably why he's pretty much an opening DJ right now. There's one or two studio efforts he's done which aren't bad, and show some potential, but Cedric is still a DJ for snooty parties at Nikki Beach, crobar and Opium...that whole crowd, which I avoid as a article of faith.

Origins is not the premiere party based on music on the beach. I don't know what you've been drinking, but there's plenty of other parties that really do put the music first that are far better. Let's see...

Aquabooty

PM Sessions

Maze Fridays

Ariel's Friday party at Spi

Housessions at Space (technically not beach, but whatever)

Lunar Sessions at Space (see above)

Double Jointed at Blue

Sunday Skool at Union Lounge

FX's breaks party @ Level...going solid for like six months now.

Originally posted by pod

He may have the technical skills to be a DJ, but he doesn't stand out in my mind. He can mix track A into track B, but doesn't have a unique style yet. Probably why he's pretty much an opening DJ right now. There's one or two studio efforts he's done which aren't bad, and show some potential, but Cedric is still a DJ for snooty parties at Nikki Beach, crobar and Opium...that whole crowd, which I avoid as a article of faith.

Origins is not the premiere party based on music on the beach. I don't know what you've been drinking, but there's plenty of other parties that really do put the music first that are far better. Let's see...

Aquabooty

PM Sessions

Maze Fridays

Ariel's Friday party at Spi

Double Jointed at Blue

Sunday Skool at Union Lounge

FX's breaks party @ Level...going solid for like six months now.

They both spin the origins party at crobar, which is,supposedly one of the most premiere parties on the beach based on music

Well pod, u and i have already gone over this topic in the past...

That's all studio work, which I said he wasn't half bad at. As a DJ, he just doesn't stand out yet. He needs to get out and be exposed to some actual biomass for his career to progress. As long as the beats are matched, the crobar crowd could care less...

doesn't stand out to whom :confused: ........ he gets several gigs around town. I would assume that would indicate, some level of exposure.. I’m sure there are many dj’s about town, whom would welcome the exposure he currently has. indeed he hasn’t become, the DJ flavor of the month yet.. ;)

being big locally is certainly a starting point.. "no one knows him yet ", that would seem rather subjective. "He gets exposure around town due to who he knows more than his style" ,come on Dan you almost, make this sound like a fact. I think you would be hard pressed, to define his style. last time I heard him, he was dropping some the same tracks, I have heard OG ,Robbie Rivera, etc drop.so perhaps his technique doesn’t appeal to you. I think the fact that he plays, for an audience you seem to loathe. some what clouds your judgment, but hey that's just my opinion. ;)

I'll admit, that I'm not a big fan of the venues he plays...if he played at Space or Maze, I'd still think he's not a stand-out talent though. I'm not saying he's bad, he's just not in the same class as Oscar or Roland. Cedric's only been DJ for a few years, that will come with time.

If I had to put a name to his style, he seems to be Ivano's protege, in the fact that he'll play harder @ crobar, and will play that mind-numbing 126 BPM stuff incessantly at nikki bitch. He needs to really differentiate himself from Ivano.

But unlike Ivano, he can produce tracks, which really aren't all that bad, and has found it's way into a few record cases around the world.

Cedric should spend more time in the studio for sure. He'd do well to release some more material. Keep on doing that, and he will stand out.

I've seen in a millon times, great producer, mediocre DJ. BT comes to mind. Even he admits he can't DJ worth shit.

Didn't he start at Opium on Thursdays? He wasn't good, he kinda matched beats, but most importantly, I believe his success was due to being "french".

The "french connection" did have a crowd that followed all the BS, that's when the $$$ came to South Beach mostly from Europe. He got a VIP following, which he can exploit now. That's why Niki's got him, that is why Crobar wants him.

His production tends to be something some people recognize, but those are rarely his followers. One nite at Bed he prepared the build up to drop his Lenny Remix, only to find his CD dirty and impossible to mix.

IMHO, he is a crowd pleaser first, even at Crobar on weekends. Not to mention for Dope, where he is only a crowd pleaser. His original poster for Dope read something like "The hottest DJ in the World". My ex-roommate had one he used to play darts with.

In any event, his duo with Bellini is profitable under all circumstances. We are now talking about $$$, not music.

Dope Thursdays nowadays have a ratio of 7.5 men per woman, if not higher. I guess he is not as hot, or Crobar has lost the chicks also on Thursdays. I visualize a difficult future for Dope now that Pure Lounge has opened.:cool:

in your opinion Pod, he is not of the same class as Oscar or Roland. funny I heard the same BS, with reference to Roly, when he was breaking into the scene at Space. granted he may be Ivanno's protege in reputation, however not in skill or style. but that of course is my unqualified opinion. :D imo Cedric should do whatever, has taken him this far. expanding on that which, will bring him greater success. be that producing, playing live or both.

p.s. Diego if I'm not mistaken, Juan Mejia opened for Danny at crobar.;)

note that although someone gets a production credit on a record doesn't mean that they actually produced it, like sasha or digweed, all their tracks are basically produced by other people, they just say what they want it to sound like, and then come back and decide if they like it or not, and say change this and that, etc... but somebody else does most of the creative work, and all of the engineering

Originally posted by sobeton

Diego if I'm not mistaken, Juan Mejia opened for Danny at crobar

i have Cedric before at Crobar...and i liked him...not enough to go there everyweekend...but to change it up, i wouldnt mind hearing him...and yea, i guess it was Mejia opening for DH...Mejia put me to :zzz: that night...

To get the record straight sasha is very capable of getting his hands dirty in a studio. the same with a lot of dj/producers these days. Now oakenfold is a different story, he does exactly what you were talking about. cedric I can backu up on this, he has a studio in his house that all his track were made with the the help of master engineer mauricio, as well to back him up on the dope poster that was only meant as a joke if you didn't get it then thats ok and as far as the guy girl ratio, any place that is being more music serious tends to have more guys but

deffinately the dope party doesn't have that ratio. Pure lounge will probably be hip hop on thursday but not positive on that.