Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Nightclub fire kills at least 39

funketeer

Rhode Island concert's pyrotechnics eyed as cause

Flames engulf the nightclub in West Warwick, Rhode Island.

Pyrotechnics from the band Great White, playing The Station nightclub in West Warwick, Rhode Island, apparently set a fire that killed at least 39 people and injured over 100 others.

vert.building.fire.jpg

:(

I find it amazing how in both club incidents, people got stuck in the door way without being able to leave the premisis. Guess their legs and lower bodies were packed to tight they couldnt move - or people were laying on top of their legs. I wonder if those people were eventually saved, it was horrible to see their faces, just inches from safety but not being able to move. Anyone know what happened to them?

Originally posted by roxysandiego

I wonder if the moron who lit the fireworks at Maze last Friday knew what he was doing, or got a permitt. There were even dancers with balls of fire inside a club full of synthetic curtains next to the VIP. Oh lord.:mad:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I know those fire-tricks look cool, like the ones bartender do where they light up the alcohol over the counter and bara-boom fire all over the place...ok, ok, ok...very impressive...in my opinion...open fire inside an enclosed space is asking for trouble...I don't find those tricks amusing anymore and make me nervous...alter my state of relaxation.

It's dejavu all over again with this incident for me...you see...a very similar fire ignited a club in Lima, Perú (where I grew up) and at least 20 people I used to know, died inside...very sad...young people with a full life ahead??? It's a shame they have to die for the negligence of some cheesy-cheap-ass trick...if want to impress me...don't do it anymore...astonish me with your good judgement, not with your recklessness...I'm done.

BAN ALL FIRE TRICKS ON ALL CLUBS NATIONWIDE!

Make them punishable by law...you light an open fire at a club...you go to jail charged with attempt manslaughter...as simple as that.

peace

Funk:cool:

I'm from Rhode Island so I had several of my friends call to see if I knew anyone in the incident... My first thoughts were I hope not, I don't know too many of my friends that are into Great White so I hope that means definitely not.. but come to find out my cousin was in the club and suffered minor burns but her best friend was actually killed! Kinda creepy! My sympathy goes out to everyone that was injured or lost their life in this terrible tragedy! :(

I was on the beach last night and took a note of the way clubs are laid out. Sure, there's one public exit-entrance, but there's all sorts of side doors and such that are left unlocked by law, to allow easy egress from the premises. Level has like 10 ways to get out, crobar has 4 fire escapes and one main door...spi has 2 or 3, and Space has a lot of doors.

There was a news article last night on NBC, they interviewed Gerry Kelly, who stated that basically they have code-enforcement come in once a night when the clubs are running to make sure the fire escapes are open.

Both the Chicago and Rhode Island disasters were the result of poor planning on the clubs' part. It's sad so many had to die to prove it.

The Station disaster is the worst loss of life to occur at a U.S. rock show, far eclipsing the stampede that occurred at a 1979 Who concert in Cincinnati, which claimed 11.

The tragedy struck just four days after a disaster in a Chicago club, E2, left 21 people dead and more than 50 injured. That incident was the result of a mass rush to flee the nightclub after a security guard used pepper spray to dispel a fight.

I would really like to see action being taken, seriously...you have to consider also that clubs are full of drunk and high people, it makes it even more difficult for people to react and think rationally on how to escape these places...exits must be very much available and highly visible.

Hopefully, these tragedies cease and club owners get serious about preventing them.

peace

Funk