Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Holllllaaaaa!

this just keeps getting better....

Qwest.

Originally posted by rocksteadyct

do you mean YOU never heard anyone say this until a couple years ago?

I'm not claiming to be from the 'street" but i have friends that sell crack and shit, so to say these "cliche" words is commonplace for me. That's why i take offense

but once again i can understand you not liking someone for saying it 10 times in a row, but i think u should judge that person a moron, rather than say you hate it when people say that

Im being kind of picky, but you do understand where im coming from?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You should judge the person, not the way they speak.

Hating preppy kids that say holla - OK

hating people that say Holla - not OK

i don't hate anyone... i just hate the overuse of a catch phrase in an innapropriate context...

this really has nothing to do with hating "people" at all...

if my friend comes over to my house and say "Damn joe, that tv is gangsta" i'm gonna laugh at him like the retard he is... if he comes over and says "damn joe, thats a gangsta collection of guns you got hangin up on the wall, there..." i'm gonna let it slide...

and since you brought it up, if atomic apples comes over to bring me my wonton soup and egg roll, and says "Doze guns ahh gangstaahhh" and bows to me... i'm gonna let that slide too...

Originally posted by joeg

i don't hate anyone... i just hate the overuse of a catch phrase in an innapropriate context...

So do you hate it when you see someone you know and they say Holla!

the person that started this topic never made that distinction

yes u r..all u need is a pointy hat with lucky charms symbols all over it...

as for these expressions..i hate Holla because its fuckin played ..but "thats gangsta" is so commonly used that i accept it. its pretty much part of my vocab..and ive been usin it to describe shit for over 3 yrs...way before Shyne came out. but now that MTV did a documentary on the word gangsta..i will once again look like a white kid who is tryin too hard...THANX MTV!

i was born and still live in downtown newark nj, most of my friends are black, i still hate when people say holla, and thats gangsta... its just overused... that doesn't mean i hate any of my friends any less for using it.... :smoke:

Originally posted by kiko2o1

i was born and still live in downtown newark nj, most of my friends are black, i still hate when people say holla, and thats gangsta... its just overused... that doesn't mean i hate any of my friends any less for using it.... :smoke:

well man something must be wrong with you!

ha - well, u dont threaten violence towards them if they say it do you?

not like DJ Trent Lott over here

So do you hate it when you see someone you know and they say Holla!

the person that started this topic never made that distinction

yeah, like i said:

"if my friend comes over to my house and say "Damn joe, that tv is gangsta" i'm gonna laugh at him like the retard he is... "

but if someone i don't know says it, i'm gonna make fun of them aswell... theres no descrimination, everyone gets made fun of for the same things... friend/foe/indifferent....

lol, yeah i saw that, and i was like "jesus christ... they really know how to drive something into the ground..."

ever watch the movie "made"?? i think theres a few lines that puffy says that really captures the essance of what qwest is trying to say...

yeah, like i said:

"if my friend comes over to my house and say "Damn joe, that tv is gangsta" i'm gonna laugh at him like the retard he is... "

but if someone i don't know says it, i'm gonna make fun of them aswell... theres no descrimination, everyone gets made fun of for the same things... friend/foe/indifferent....

lol, yeah i saw that, and i was like "jesus christ... they really know how to drive something into the ground..."

ever watch the movie "made"?? i think theres a few lines that puffy says that really captures the essance of what qwest is trying to say...

I def hear you

never seen the movie but i dont think there is an essence to what he said, there was no explanation, and i have opinions i dont mind expressing

You are right, the right thing to do is laugh, not turn into a white supremist that hates minoritys so much he fights people influenced by black culture

i think its more a matter of hating a ghetto phrase that gets picked up by mtv and white suburban kids like me and then having it overused all the time....

like "thats gangsta"...

apparently, according to mtv... its now appropriate to say "thats gangsta" in refference to anything really cool...

ie. you see a ferarri... "damn... that car is gangsta..."

if you say "I keep my safety off because i gotta be ready for whateva" then i'd say thats gangsta...

or 2 guys end up in a fight, and they just settle it with fists and no one pulls a gun... "thats gangsta"...

but wow, your jersey matches your shoes... "thats gangsta" Just sounds a little to played to me..

oh, hangon... i got a phonecall... my shit's blowin up...

i see i wasnt the only one who watched the mtv special lol

Originally posted by djqwest

Don't go making this a personal thing. You've expressed your opinion and viewpoints, now let it go.

Qwest.

hmm the "brainwashed MTV youth" can't understand that .

let me say, make some uppity comment like you do where i can hear, and i'll blacken both YOUR eyes

Lol. You can go ahead and take that statement seriously I don't mind. Those who know me see that statement for what it is.

"I Want My MTV".... HOLLA!

hmm the "brainwashed MTV youth" can't understand that .

let me say, make some uppity comment like you do where i can hear, and i'll blacken both YOUR eyes

this really has nothing to do with hating "people" at all...

if my friend comes over to my house and say "Damn joe, that tv is gangsta" i'm gonna laugh at him like the retard he is... if he comes over and says "damn joe, thats a gangsta collection of guns you got hangin up on the wall, there..." i'm gonna let it slide...

and since you brought it up, if atomic apples comes over to bring me my wonton soup and egg roll, and says "Doze guns ahh gangstaahhh" and bows to me... i'm gonna let that slide too...

What I don't understand is how can these "catch phrases" be used in an inapproiate context? These words are made up, so who is to say was is approiate and not approiate ways to use them.

Overuse of anything is inappropriate. :idea:

Originally posted by kaligirl

What I don't understand is how can these "catch phrases" be used in an inapproiate context? These words are made up, so who is to say was is approiate and not approiate ways to use them.

Originally posted by djqwest

Overuse of anything is inappropriate. :idea:

I was refering to the use of the words. Joeg was saying when they are used in the wrong context. I was stating there is no correct or incorrect way to use them. They are "slang" words.

Yes overuse of the word makes the word played but I wouldn't go so far to say that overuse is inapproiate.