Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Fare Hike - It's Official

March 6, 2003

MTA Board Approves Fare and Toll Plan

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority Board today approved a financial plan by a unanimous vote that closes a projected two-year deficit with a menu of fare and toll increases tempered by additional multi-ride discounts.

After the proposal was passed, MTA Chairman Peter S. Kalikow said, “While making a decision to raise fares and tolls is never easy, I am proud to say that the plan we approved today, while perhaps imperfect, truly reflects the input we received from our riders and the general public.”

Over the past three to four months, the MTA had undertaken an unprecedented outreach effort seeking input from the public on its financial plan, holding a series of ten regional public hearings, as well as receiving nearly 4,000 e-mails and hundreds of letters directly on a series of options put forth for public consideration in November.

“Today’s plan addresses the overriding concerns our customers expressed in our public outreach effort. First, they were clear in terms of not wanting to see any service cuts. There are none,” he said.

“The plan also addresses their concerns over losing the ‘physical presence’ that they believe station booths provide in term of safety and security. We reviewed the original list of 177 full and part-time booth closures and have taken roughly two-thirds of them off the table. Of the remaining closures, none will be full-time booths, and the reduction in part-time booth hours will be at rush hours, not during the non-rush hour periods when our customers’ security concerns are greatest. We have also reviewed this plan carefully with the NYPD and FDNY to ensure safety and evacuation issues are fully addressed,” he continued.

“Finally, the plan not only maintains, but enhances, a number of MetroCard based fare discounts that our customers told us are essential to their frequent use of the system,” said Chairman Kalikow.

The specific elements of the plan are:

An increase in NYCT subway and regular bus fares, Staten Island Railway and LI Bus regular fares, from $1.50 to $2.00 and NYCT Express Bus fares from $3 to $4.

An increase in the 7-day MetroCard pass from $17 to $21, the one-day pass from $4 to $7, and the 30-day pass from $63 to $70.

The introduction of a new 7-day Express Bus pass, priced at $33.

Lowering the threshold for receiving MetroCard “bonuses” from $15 to $10, with an increase in the bonus from 10% to 20%. Under this proposal, a person purchasing a $10 card will now get a free ride. (i.e. 6 rides for the price of 5, rather than the current 11 for 10.)

An increase in Access-A-Ride fares from $1.50 to $2.00 and Able-Ride fares from $3.00 to $3.50.

The introduction of an “insurance program” for 30-day MetroCard pass users. For a small fee, regular pass users would obtain protection in the event of a lost or stolen card in the form of a replacement card. (Anticipated implementation 9/03.)

The phasing out of the token and the undertaking of a customer survey to ascertain the market for a new bi-weekly pass and to determine its feasibility and appropriate price.

The implementation of a pilot program to test the feasibility of the “City-Ticket” program that would allow intra-city travel on the two commuter railroads for $0.50 more than the nominal subway fare.

No service cuts or layoffs, allowing the MTA to maintain its current service levels and quality of service.

No full-time token booth closings and up to 62 part-time closings that serve low volume stations with other booths (74% of which are open 5 hrs. or less, Mon-Fri only; 19%, 7.5 hrs. or less Mon-Fri only, and; 6%, 11 hrs., Mon-Fri only.) 21 of those part-time, low-volume booths are in Manhattan, 23 in Brooklyn, 12 in Queens, and 6 in the Bronx.

An increase in the average LIRR and MNR fares of 25%, with no service cuts.

An increase in tolls on MTA Bridges and Tunnels facilities by $0.50 in each direction on major facilities and $0.25 on minor facilities.

Except as otherwise noted, the effective date for fare actions is 5/1/03 and tolls, on or about 5/18/03.

“Under this plan, while the base transit fare may, in fact, rise from the current $1.50 today to $2, the average fare paid by our customers – $1.04 – will only rise to $1.30, a level that is still lower than the $1.38 average subway and bus fare our customers paid in 1995,” said Kalikow.

“As I said at the outset, no one at the MTA enjoys making difficult decisions that will have a financial impact on our customers. But it is worthy to note that we have been making very difficult internal decisions over the past few years to hold the line on fares, and, in fact, reduce them,” he said.

“The reality is that we have just experienced the longest period in MTA history without fare and toll increases – eight straight years. That didn’t happen by accident, it happened through tightly managing our operations and through the creative use of new technologies like MetroCard and EZ-Pass. As such, our customers have enjoyed tangible reductions in the cost of their daily trips and have saved hundreds, if not thousands of dollars over that time period,” said Chairman Kalikow.

“The Board’s action today, while difficult, will ultimately ensure that the New York metropolitan region will continue to have the best transit system in the world,” he concluded.

“The Board’s action today, while difficult, will ultimately ensure that the New York metropolitan region will continue to have the best transit system in the world,†he concluded.................

:mad:

well, i know that i alone will not make a diffrence, but i will be doing a lot more walking.

Its a bunch of bs :cuss: I mean how the fuck do they go from 1.50 to 2 bucks. last time they raised it was only a quarter more. I don't get this, MTA workers getting more greedy, want higher salaries and shit, I would figure that the MTA gets enough money from all the commuters we have already. Eh it seems that a montlhy pass is the most efficient way to go. But a 50 cent increase . . . 33% is ridiculous they should have raised it slightly :mad:

little reminiscing: remember those school passes we would get before the metrocard ahhh those different color passes, for any of you that grew up in the city and know what I'm talking about. . . sorry just a random thought on my youth :(:tongue:

Originally posted by fierydesire

Its a bunch of bs :cuss: I mean how the fuck do they go from 1.50 to 2 bucks. last time they raised it was only a quarter more. I don't get this, MTA workers getting more greedy, want higher salaries and shit, I would figure that the MTA gets enough money from all the commuters we have already. Eh it seems that a montlhy pass is the most efficient way to go. But a 50 cent increase . . . 33% is ridiculous they should have raised it slightly :mad:

little reminiscing: remember those school passes we would get before the metrocard ahhh those different color passes, for any of you that grew up in the city and know what I'm talking about. . . sorry just a random thought on my youth :(:tongue:

HEY, YEAH... I REMEMBER THOSE MONTHLY PASSES, THEY WERE GREAT!!!

those were definitely the days!!! wish commuting were still that simple - this fucking fare hike is CRIMINAL!!

Originally posted by brooklynkid

uhhh...these complaints coming from NYers who are willing to spend $1200 a month to live in a shoebox and $25 to get into a club? c'mon now:D

Never pay to get into a club.

Own my own place, so you can slash that $1200 in half.

And it's not about being cheap...it's about realizing that :

NYC IS OVERRATED.

There's absolutely NO reason at all why a train ride should cost $2, much less $1.50.

I lived in a tenement apt building in chinatown, costing me an arm and a leg, and it taught me that there's more to life than NY fucking city.

I'm sticking to the suburbs till I can pick up and leave. I ain't missing much not being in Manhattan.

-iliana

:finger:

Originally posted by iliana

Never pay to get into a club.

Own my own place, so you can slash that $1200 in half.

your medal is in the mail.:rolleyes:

$2.00 is not bad at all considering you can get from virtually any point in nyc to any other point on just one fare, and that includes free transfers to buses. Sometimes it's hard for B&T people to grasp this.

Find me a more reliable, widespread, safe, 24/7 (it costs a lot to keep everything running all day and night) mass transit system in this country.

$2.00 is not bad at all considering you can get from virtually any point in nyc to any other point on just one fare, and that includes free transfers to buses. Sometimes it's hard for B&T people to grasp this.

Find me a more reliable, widespread, safe, 24/7 (it costs a lot to keep everything running all day and night) mass transit system in this country.

Don't hate, appreciate!:tongue:

(Don't mind sending me that medal. Sell it so you can afford your train fare for the week ;) )

And yes, NYC provides us with 24/7 service....yet they want to take away token booths,which can provide a major inconvenience for any new yorker and raise crime in subway stations.....um, what is this 33% fare hike for again????????:confused: :confused:

its better than london underground

Originally posted by iliana

And yes, NYC provides us with 24/7 service....yet they want to take away token booths,which can provide a major inconvenience for any new yorker and raise crime in subway stations.....um, what is this 33% fare hike for again????????:confused: :confused:

well I definitely am concerned about safety as they start reducing the amount of token booths out there, but if all you need from them is metrocards then the vending machines are plenty easy to use.

I wonder how they will deal with people with strollers etc who need to come through the big gate w/ the buzzer.

Originally posted by luztirada

wow you are cheaper than the gorilla if you are complaining over a lousy 2 bucks!!

times that twice a day, seven times a week. but then you can buy a monthly pass........... 63-70$ a month.

Don't complain. NYC is the only US city where you don't need a car. That saves you at least $500-600/month in lease/parking/insurance/maintenance.

I know plenty of NYC millionaires that don't even own cars. Just use 24 hr zipcar car share / car rental when they need it.

Originally posted by grtstprtyevr

March 6, 2003

MTA Board Approves Fare and Toll Plan

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority Board today approved a financial plan by a unanimous vote that closes a projected two-year deficit with a menu of fare and toll increases tempered by additional multi-ride discounts.

After the proposal was passed, MTA Chairman Peter S. Kalikow said, “While making a decision to raise fares and tolls is never easy, I am proud to say that the plan we approved today, while perhaps imperfect, truly reflects the input we received from our riders and the general public.”

Over the past three to four months, the MTA had undertaken an unprecedented outreach effort seeking input from the public on its financial plan, holding a series of ten regional public hearings, as well as receiving nearly 4,000 e-mails and hundreds of letters directly on a series of options put forth for public consideration in November.

“Today’s plan addresses the overriding concerns our customers expressed in our public outreach effort. First, they were clear in terms of not wanting to see any service cuts. There are none,” he said.

“The plan also addresses their concerns over losing the ‘physical presence’ that they believe station booths provide in term of safety and security. We reviewed the original list of 177 full and part-time booth closures and have taken roughly two-thirds of them off the table. Of the remaining closures, none will be full-time booths, and the reduction in part-time booth hours will be at rush hours, not during the non-rush hour periods when our customers’ security concerns are greatest. We have also reviewed this plan carefully with the NYPD and FDNY to ensure safety and evacuation issues are fully addressed,” he continued.

“Finally, the plan not only maintains, but enhances, a number of MetroCard based fare discounts that our customers told us are essential to their frequent use of the system,” said Chairman Kalikow.

The specific elements of the plan are:

An increase in NYCT subway and regular bus fares, Staten Island Railway and LI Bus regular fares, from $1.50 to $2.00 and NYCT Express Bus fares from $3 to $4.

An increase in the 7-day MetroCard pass from $17 to $21, the one-day pass from $4 to $7, and the 30-day pass from $63 to $70.

The introduction of a new 7-day Express Bus pass, priced at $33.

Lowering the threshold for receiving MetroCard “bonuses” from $15 to $10, with an increase in the bonus from 10% to 20%. Under this proposal, a person purchasing a $10 card will now get a free ride. (i.e. 6 rides for the price of 5, rather than the current 11 for 10.)

An increase in Access-A-Ride fares from $1.50 to $2.00 and Able-Ride fares from $3.00 to $3.50.

The introduction of an “insurance program” for 30-day MetroCard pass users. For a small fee, regular pass users would obtain protection in the event of a lost or stolen card in the form of a replacement card. (Anticipated implementation 9/03.)

The phasing out of the token and the undertaking of a customer survey to ascertain the market for a new bi-weekly pass and to determine its feasibility and appropriate price.

The implementation of a pilot program to test the feasibility of the “City-Ticket” program that would allow intra-city travel on the two commuter railroads for $0.50 more than the nominal subway fare.

No service cuts or layoffs, allowing the MTA to maintain its current service levels and quality of service.

No full-time token booth closings and up to 62 part-time closings that serve low volume stations with other booths (74% of which are open 5 hrs. or less, Mon-Fri only; 19%, 7.5 hrs. or less Mon-Fri only, and; 6%, 11 hrs., Mon-Fri only.) 21 of those part-time, low-volume booths are in Manhattan, 23 in Brooklyn, 12 in Queens, and 6 in the Bronx.

An increase in the average LIRR and MNR fares of 25%, with no service cuts.

An increase in tolls on MTA Bridges and Tunnels facilities by $0.50 in each direction on major facilities and $0.25 on minor facilities.

Except as otherwise noted, the effective date for fare actions is 5/1/03 and tolls, on or about 5/18/03.

“Under this plan, while the base transit fare may, in fact, rise from the current $1.50 today to $2, the average fare paid by our customers – $1.04 – will only rise to $1.30, a level that is still lower than the $1.38 average subway and bus fare our customers paid in 1995,” said Kalikow.

“As I said at the outset, no one at the MTA enjoys making difficult decisions that will have a financial impact on our customers. But it is worthy to note that we have been making very difficult internal decisions over the past few years to hold the line on fares, and, in fact, reduce them,” he said.

“The reality is that we have just experienced the longest period in MTA history without fare and toll increases – eight straight years. That didn’t happen by accident, it happened through tightly managing our operations and through the creative use of new technologies like MetroCard and EZ-Pass. As such, our customers have enjoyed tangible reductions in the cost of their daily trips and have saved hundreds, if not thousands of dollars over that time period,” said Chairman Kalikow.

“The Board’s action today, while difficult, will ultimately ensure that the New York metropolitan region will continue to have the best transit system in the world,” he concluded.

whats a subway?

Oh wait. .. I live in nj.. I dont have to deal with that shit....

we drive cars here

suckers.