Clubplanet Nightlife Community

DT in Space Sept 2

koki11

Rest assured, I think the miami people need a party like this one to wake them up!

Put Superstar dj Acosta and Edgar drumroll V on ice for a weekend and let the messiah take control.

Thank god we have DT every friday night!

Guest genevieve

So tell me if this sounds right..................

-Gatecrasher @ Space Thursday, Aug. 24th

-Jon Peters @ Goddess Friday, Sept. 1st

-Danny T @ Space Saturday, Sept. 2nd

-Paul Van Dyke @ Space Saturday, Sept. 9th

.................looks like I'll have a busy Labor Day weekend!! Is it too early to be asking if anyone knows about advanced tickets being sold any where?

• 2 weeks later...

LISTEN NO LIMIT I KNOW YOU LIVE IN NEW YORK AND ALL YOU HEAR ABOUT ME PLAYING AT SPACE IS TRANCE BUT YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT ME.....I WISH THAT WE COULD GET MORE HOUSE DJ'S LIKE DANNY OR DEEP DISH TO PLAY REGULARLY DOWN HERE BUT MOST PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND THAT STYLE OF MUSIC, AND THE PEOPLE THAT DO LIKE THIS STYLE IS ABOUT MAYBE 25% OF THE PEOPLE THAT GO OUT AND THE REST LIKE TRANCE....I PLAY ALOT OF DIFFERENT STYLES OF MUSIC BUT MAINLY TRANCE AND HOUSE (MEANING TECH-HOUSE AND HARD HOUSE)AND THE REASON I CAN PLAY ANY STYLE OF MUSIC IS BECAUSE I WORK AT A RECORD STORE AND I KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON....TRANCE RIGHT NOW IS IN THE SPOTLIGHT BUT HOUSE IS MAKING A COMEBACK HERE....SO I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT IF YOU DIDN'T CRITICIZE MY STYLE WITHOUT EVEN KNOWING ME OR THE KIND OF MUSIC I PLAY

[This message has been edited by edgarv (edited 08-23-2000).]

Word up, Edgar. I'm with NL in supporting the house sound. It is too bad that South Floridians are a bit close-minded and overly trance-focused. Most cutting-edge house DJs bypass FLA on their national circuits. But maybe that'll change soon if we get at least someone daring enough to start spinning nice, deep, funky house on a regular basis. What about you all @ Space - ever think about starting a house night? I don't mean this "hard house" which is so close to trance; but instead that style ever so popular now on the West coast by the likes of Farina, Howard, Garth as well as Francois K. I think we just need more exposure to the sound. The fans are certainly there - check out Blue, BED, and Push on any given weekend. Let's push the vibe! :-)

You're right. I don't know you on a personal level, but that's not what my comments are about. For all I know, you could be the nicest person in the world and I didn't mean to disrespect u as an individual.

Having said that, and being a voice from my friends that go to Space on a regular basis along with past experiences at Shadow Lounge; I know what kind of sound you play out. It's what the rest of the world calls cheez! It's giving Miami a bad rap on the global scale. If you're trying to change that by booking other so called 'house' djs, that's fine. But I think getting on the decks and playing 140 bpm with cheezy synths isn't the way to educate a crowd. For christs sake, even Power 96 is playing that crap. If you're playing what the local Radio station is playing, something is wrong.

I would love to hear that my hometown has its share of pioneers playing the best in underground and not selling out just because its the sound of now. You've got an influence on the clubbers, so you should take advantage of that. Especially with a massive club like Space backing you up.

Good luck.

I agree w/ edgar totally. Regardless of what you play nightlife is an industry and a DJ has a JOB to do. He does not play house because he is paid to make the patrons dance and give them what they are expecting. Keep in mind the DJ is there to keep people in the club so they will spend $$$$$ inside the best way to do that is to play to the crowds likes and not shove things down there throat in the name of "EDUCATION". It's a nightclub not a conservatory. Space will start playing house when the crowd starts thinning out and they start losing out to establishments that are playing that genre of music. You cannot force people to like a certain type of music. Trance won't last forever and soon something else will take its place just relax and realize that a DJ has to do certain things to remain employed its just the way a business is run.

meta4z, go play in traffic will ya!

So does that mean that when DT comes down, its his job as a dj to play cheezy trance because that's whats making money in Miami?? Pleeeeeez!!! You make no sense. He wouldn't sell out like that. Sure DT plays trance, but it isn't cheesy. There's a difference. But you wouldn't know that would you meta4z.

Anyone else want to add their comments??

Word up, NL. What fucking bullshit! A DJ's job is not only to cater to his/her crowd, but also to open their minds a bit and widen their horizons. If a DJ were simply the crowd's "puppet" then why not just throw a bunch of mix CDs in the player and save the $ in paying a DJ?! On the contrary, it's mostly the DJ's job to spin cutting edge tracks and push the envelope. If Edgar, for instance, really did indeed like house music, then he'd have the balls to push for a house night and make it a success! The DJ has more power out there than we realize, and will succeed (in my opinion) if he/she respects the crowd and doesn't underestimate them.

you see in DT's case it's different.....that night you will see a mixture of gay and straight people and the club will be stuffed......no i remember the night of the deep dish party half of the club left an 1hr into deep dish's set why because they didn't like that style of music i had like 20 people come up to me that night and ask me why i wasn't spinning and i was like open your mind guys this is where the sound is heading to!!! i play honestly about 1 1/2 of house before i start getting into trance...i wish i could play a whole night of house but unfortunately people here in miami are closed minded and you have to educate them slowly because there is no good radio support....so it's not about selling out it is about miami being home to the trance sound just how NY is the home of house.

Originally posted by Nolimit:

Rest assured, I think the miami people need a party like this one to wake them up!

Put Superstar dj Acosta and Edgar drumroll V on ice for a weekend and let the messiah take control.

Thank god we have DT every friday night!

WORD!!! You going down there? A lot of people from the NY board are ...maybe we can all set up a meet-up.

-jess

Good point Arrakis. I'll hire you to work in my club anyday...

Now back to the Renaissance party. There's a load of my friends from up here as well as miami that made the trek down to Space for this worthy line-up. Mind you, it was one of the biggest gigs following the massive party with DT back in March. Edgar, you say that half the club left an hour into DD set. That might be true but what's the problem with that? The ones who stayed (true heads) are the ones who got taken on that musical journey. Genevieve, am I right?? Wasn't that one of the best times you had. You probably didn't realize that at the time but Im sure you do now.

Even though Space wasn't rammed, I can see a lot of good coming out of that night. #1-The owner of Renaissance was there;Geoff Oakes. He was rather impressed with the turnout as well as the venue and is thinking about doing more Renaissance parties there. That would be a major plus for Space and the clubbers in Miami if something like that happens.

Also, forget just the house sound.. Push the envelope for all kinds of different genres. I know Shadow has been booking the hell out of Adam Freeland. Excellent move. Get him to Space. I can see Prog. breaks as being the sound of the future.

I can go on and on about this, my point was made. Hopefully with the help of the djs down in Miami, you guys can straighten out the scene and make it a reputable one. In time, I'm sure it will happen.

easy

Ill be there with Calyandra... You guys are missing the point with music... DJ's like DT play music that is so moving and of such quality, that people dont need to know what it is or its classification to wanna dance to it. Thats the way its supposed to be. If you have to play big hits all night to get your crowd moving, then the problem isnt the crowd, its your programming ability. Danny has the ability to feel a crowd like very few people do.

-Adam

------------------

"Children, come together, in the spirit, OF HOUSE" -Aaron Carl

True that, NL... Edgar, you got more power than you realize, brother - if you really want a night of quality house, then make it happen! Don't underestimate the crowd. I think people in South Florida are in general open-minded regarding music; we've just had trance and cheesy breaks thrown down our throats for some time now. Check out Blue and BED: those places spin decent house music and the crowds are usually going off. I'm sure if we get some good, deep house DJs (such as Garth, Francois K, Lil' Louis, Farina, Howard, Lord G) and kick some good nights that things could change around here. Unfortunately I'm only a customer at the moment; I wish I had a club or a residency somewhere! So use your power, and my friends and I, plus certainly many others, will support a welcome change and progression.

Guest genevieve

NL, that night I was expecting Dave Seaman but kept an open mind to Anthony Pappa. Not because he's one of the top DJ's of the time or is signed onto a big label; I actually had no idea who the hell he was! I blindly judged him on the music. Isn't that the way it should be? As far as the Deep Dish experience, it was an unbelieveable musical journey which I will keep with me forever! It's too bad everyone left early but did anyone stop to think that it was on a Mon. night! I know sometimes when my boy goes out with me on a work day we always try to leave at a realistic time. I'm sure a lot of people were doing the same.

Archived