Clubplanet Nightlife Community

danny howells/ashley casselle review **pics to follow**

weyes

argh :mad3: !!!

even with my earplugs, i got a major headache. no matter who comes to play at the palace next, i'm never going back to that place. ridiculous.

ashley casselle was fab, in my book, and danny howells was really rockin' for the first hour and a half, but somewhere after that, he launched into some bewildering monotony; how does someone as "big" as he get into such a boring rut for so long (the rest of the night)?

cubbie78 and i met on the dancefloor; it's easy to find me when i described my outfit in as much detail as i did :laugh: , and he and i were among the very few people there dressed "rave-y."

we went up to the balcony to try to escape the deafening noise (to no avail), and we could even see that the crowd had slowed to just a slight sway; there was very little dancing for many hours.

danny even cut to total silence for a bit, which is a sign of desperate measures, i've always thought. and when he (or whomever) just upped the volume, that was a last-ditch cry for help.

cubbie78's theory on why it all went sour was that he had all those people with him in the booth; he started going south after three or so people stood up there with him, and not only did they never leave for the rest of the night, but more joined them. then there's always the thought that "the dj's on something." if it had been either one of those issues - really uncool :no: . djs have a responsibility to us, to give their best, always. although some forget this, it is a job, after all. people don't think of it that way because of the great happiness it can bring, but, when the dj fails, it's easier to remember.

well, at least i can give a :aright: to cubbie78 - very cool guy :) . see? cpla is not just limited to cyberspace! we really do exist!

i'll put up some pics when i get 'em done, if any turn out ok :worry: ...

Sorry it took so long to post...long weekend!

Anyway, on to the review...Casselle was solid. Nothing to fancy, but definitely had the crowd moving and withink in minutes, he filled the dancefloor. Verry impressed. So here I was all warmed up for Howells.

Like Weyes said, Howells was on for the first hour and a half, but by 3, he was just spinning "filler" as if he had nothing else to spin. He would throw in a decent track every once in a while, but never followed it up with an even better track. And the only thing that he did to get the crowd going, was turn up the volume. (which usually works well with a sick build-up or an incredible bass drop when the crowd is really into it.)

Now I'm not sure if this place had a VIP or not, but it seemed there was an extra special party goin on in the dj booth. For a while, I wasn't even sure if Danny was even spinning, or if he was letting one of his groups take control of the decks.

Anyway, I ended up leaving before Howells was even done, which is so unlike me. But I still had a good time. I met Weyes...definitely a cool chick. (btw, let me know about Spacegirl coming up) and overall it was much better than doing the typical Newport Beach drinking thing. Hopefully my next outing will be better!

• 2 weeks later...

i dunno, i've been listening to some of Howells sets from Circo Loco, from Paris, saw him at Arc and aside from the time of the night when he starts to build up to the techno or breaks segment of his set, i'm just left kinda :blank:

he's a great dj, but for his 10hrs sets in NY, there is only so much one can play. i like him more when he only has 3-4 hrs and just hits you with the good stuff.

Originally posted by vicman

i dunno, i've been listening to some of Howells sets from Circo Loco, from Paris, saw him at Arc and aside from the time of the night when he starts to build up to the techno or breaks segment of his set, i'm just left kinda :blank:

he's a great dj, but for his 10hrs sets in NY, there is only so much one can play. i like him more when he only has 3-4 hrs and just hits you with the good stuff.

I love his breaks section..

But I strongly dislike his techno aspect (which comes for about 2 hours in between the crazy house and in between the breaks followed by the crazy white label house..)

Don't hate.. :tongue:

Originally posted by Codica3

I love his breaks section..

But I strongly dislike his techno aspect (which comes for about 2 hours in between the crazy house and in between the breaks followed by the crazy white label house..)

Don't hate.. :tongue:

yeah, that's it, cody - he started with some dope-ass house or another but moved into awful techno hell and stayed there :( .

and i added you to my aim list; i'm weyesr1 :) .

Originally posted by weyes

yeah, that's it, cody - he started with some dope-ass house or another but moved into awful techno hell and stayed there :( .

I second that! I was there with Weyes and Howells was incredible for a while...then he just fell off. To be honest, the music wasn't horrible...it was pretty decent chill music, but I was there to dance...and he let me down. But, the other times I have heard him spin, he has been incredible!

Originally posted by weyes

Just added you hun.. you'll be getting an IM from me as soon as I catch you online! :D