Clubplanet Nightlife Community

EVO VIII s. STi

posted by joeg

*kicks dirt off the ground* but what ever happened to 2-door sports coupes???

yeah, I still a little pissed about the fact that most car companies are now making 4 door cars or gay ass SUVs...

what happen to the need 4 speed?

well these aren't the "sport sedans" that asswads like chevy are trying to push on us with their impala or lumina.

these are basically 4 door sports cars. They were engineered and built from the ground up as such, and to win championships. So in that regard, they are far from the shit that the USA is turning out.

and the 2 door babies are coming back ;)

the car companies just need to "prep" the market and wean the average consumer off their SUV bigger=better fetish.

They are great handling powerful cars but they don't fit the term "sports car" by any means. I wouldn't pay the insane amount of $$ thats being asked for these cars today. I'll stick to my guns leave these cars to the new generation of kids that think they are god when they get their hands on them so I can have some fun ;)

Matt

;) i love em to death. the WRX/STi, and Lancer Evo have been absolutely wrecking shit in japan for years. Over there, the rivalry between both cars is akin to Ford vs. Chevy here.

i don't think the pricetag is so insane when you look at it though...

24k out the door for a fully loaded WRX...

around 30k for a lancer EVO or STi. Considering the performance, practicality and reliability of the cars, it's not a bad choice.

What else is in the 30k price range that offers equal or better performance, practicality, AND will still run like the day it was made, in 10 years?

The wrx isn't badly priced but the EVO is being outragously marked up (seen it going between $34-50k) and is badly designed for the USA market for even $30k. Mitsu designed that car running 19psi stock and knowing that USA has 91 octane piss gas. I've already heard people hooking up dataloggers and getting engine knock with the car just being stock. For a company to do that and ask $30k is ludicris. Its like a $30,000 time bomb lol. So as far as reliability goes the EVO is out the window I bet. We'll see what happends a year or so from now when they rack up some miles on them. Subaru was smart to make the STI a 2.5 liter and keep the boost down to prevent engine knock and still have more horpse power then the EVO. That car will probably be worth its $30k pricetag. I respect these cars alot and they are great performers but I hope these aren't gonna be our new everyday "sports" cars.

Matt

lol. they'lll just be the sedans-on-crack ;)

yeah, I hear you about the EVO. Manufacturers are pushing the limit these days with a lot of cars. Cali is the only state i know that has 91 octane as "high octane."

Elsewhere we're using 93, which seems to help a bit.

The EVO isn't the only one hitting the knock sensor in stock tune though, that's for sure. the new 350z often visits the sensor, as do many other turbo and high comp. n/a cars.

I know mine does when the weather gets warmer.

i should HOPE that mitsu designed a respectable timing/fuelling curve into the ECU to safeguard the engine from 19psi.

Also i'm sure the FMIC should greatly help reduce the temp ingested at 19psi, as well as the I/C sprayer.

still, that IS a LOT for a stock engine. we'll see how they hold up in 5 years ;) I think the STi is on the right path.

19psi for 270hp isn't anything to brag about, IMO.

That's about what i'd get if i boosted my tiny little stock turbo to 19psi and added a big intercooler. It just sounds like the turbo is sized too small for the boost it's pushing. They probably wanted to eliminate as much lag as possible.

I don't see why it would take 19psi for the Sti's engine to make 300rwhp. It's got half a liter of displacement over the 4g63 and with proper tuning, should make more power with less boost.

It'd make sense to use a slightly larger turbine than on the EJ20, running lower boost pressures. 19psi is a LOT for an aluminum block from the factory.

the sti, i think is going to run on 18psi, the ini vf34 turbo, maybe the vf35 in the us can handle up to 21 psi.

the wrx that is sold here has been gutted of all the goodies from the model in japan, that is why it can be offered for so low of a price.

btw : just so you guys know.. the reason why they are 4 doors is cuz, 4 door cars have stiffer car chassis / frame. if you are a audi/vw guy... you will know that wagons are stronger then 4 doors...

these cars need the stiffness of the body for rally...

but tell you the truth those 2 doors are useless, cuz the back seats cant really sit people over 5 feet... i usually take out my back seats...