Clubplanet Nightlife Community

History Channel - Hooked

cookiegirl

I've been watching this series over the last couple nights (Hooked: Illegal Drugs and How They Got that Way) on the History Channel. It's really interesting with a non-biased slant and new information I hadn't heard before on how the War on Drugs started. It's each night this week at 9 - take a look if you have some time. Tuesday was Opium, Morphine and Heroin; Wed. was Cocaine; tonight is Marijuana and Meth & Friday is LSD, Ecstasy and the Raves. I take a bit of issue with the fact that RAVES is included in the title of the one on 'cid and E - but that's how it goes. :rolleyes:

The series has been pretty evenhanded so far so I'm definitely taping Friday night's. :D

History Channel Site

There has been a "drug culture" since the dawn of civilization. Sumerian cuneiform tablets from 3000 BC show a poppy harvest, as do ancient Egyptian scripts and Greek statues adorned with poppy crowns. Far more recently, Freud sung the praises of cocaine, which was included in the original recipe for Coca-Cola. But since the industrial revolution, drug use has changed dramatically, and society's response to this--particularly in America--has been to demonize users and make drugs illegal.

HOOKED explores the world of illegal drugs, meeting with pharmacologists and scientists to learn exactly what effect they have on us and exploring the social and legislative changes that have transformed (and, some would argue, created) the drug culture of the 20th century. Outspoken advocates on both sides of the "war on drugs" illuminate this polarizing issue, and fascinating accounts and artifacts illustrate the role of drugs throughout history.