Clubplanet Nightlife Community

dj marc la cruz

Originally posted by CHRles

LOL sorry Sdeelite, but HH just might be making that comeback. Listen to some of the recent productions by Breeze & Styles, listen to some of the remakes to "Disco Fans" (originally a mid 90s HH track by Starwash), and watch how the BPMs are moving into the 150 range on some records.

In the past year and a half Germany has been swamped with remakes to Pop, Rock, and Euro records. It's also been swamped with Euro-Trance remakes to Happy Hardcore hits from the mid 90s. It would make some sense to see this trend help to revive that scene, and it would make sense for something happy, fast, and crossover to take over from part of the remakes trend.

Scooter were probably the most famous Happy Hardcore act, although they also recorded quality Trance records like "Rhapsody In E", and later "No Fate", and even some Electro. Some of their HH records were remixed into Trance like the DJ Taucher remix of "I'm Raving" (which in itself was based on Marc Cohn's "Walking In Memphis", and was also remade by UK act Shut Up N Dance). If Scooter put out some Happy Hardcore the support will be there, since this act, despite the critics, have one of the biggest fanbases in Europe.

If I'm not mistaken some of the resident DJs at the big German clubs used to play some HH, or were known as Happy Hardcore DJs, such as DH Shah who's a resident at The Tunnel in Hamburg.

As for Rotterdam, that city invented Gabber, or Gabba in the late 80s before Happy Hardcore was born. The UK and Germany were the ones who made it more pop friendly, and happier in the early 90s.

Rock/Dance, or as the media likes to call it, Disco Punk, is another trend that's on the rise, and is emerging out of NYC and London. Just think of 70s Punk, 80s Industrial, the Manchester Wave, 90s acts like EMF and later Nine Inch Nails, and part of the current House sound to get a better idea of what to expect.

thanks for the editorial CHRles!

very informative.

I actually dig disco punk, but I have never been a fan of happy hardcore or scooter. But that's just my personal opinion. I know it is popular in certain areas in Europe.

I do remember that I'm Raving I'm Raving track from way back (Based on "Walking in Memphis") which I liked at the time tho.