Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Brake Fluids?

joeg

ive heard motul is very hydroscopic...so u have to change it very often. kinda overkill if youre not racing i think.

and yes ate is the best and has the highest boiling point of any brake fluid. (yes its german, bmw recommends it for all their M cars)

Originally posted by petp

dunno, but total overkill if u ask me...unless youre racing in le mans or something. save your money and get stainless steel brake lines instead.

already got em... but yeah, i'll save the money... maybe i'll go with the ATE super blue when its time to change...

Originally posted by atomicapples

how often do you change?

hmm i can't even remember now... my car's been in body shops and off the road too long...

i changed the fluid when i went with new rotors/pads/lines/etc.... not to far back...

I've got this generic Valvoline synthetic Dot 4 shiz in my car.

Cheap @ Autozone and I bought a couple quarts, since i go through brake fluid like water.

Works quite well. I couldn't heat it up enough during AutoX to make it fade, so that works for me.

Originally posted by cintron

I've got this generic Valvoline synthetic Dot 4 shiz in my car.

Cheap @ Autozone and I bought a couple quarts, since i go through brake fluid like water.

Works quite well. I couldn't heat it up enough during AutoX to make it fade, so that works for me.

Hey Cint.....did you know the MR2 (newsflash) on your sig has a busted sidemarker light?..... :laugh2: :laugh2:

Originally posted by magellanmax

Hey Cint.....did you know the MR2 (newsflash) on your sig has a busted sidemarker light?..... :laugh2: :laugh2:

i think the way the lighting in the picture is, its catching the reflector of the passenger marker... the markers don't actually go on...

Originally posted by magellanmax

you just made me spend 10 minutes staring trying to figure it out.

it's there. ;) it's just in the shadow so it looks like a hollow space

here's some brake fluid data for all y'all:

Boiling points are listed as Wet and then Dry

Castrol SRF 518°F 590°F

Motul RBF 600 421°F 585°F

AP-600 410°F 572°F

ATE-Super Blue 392°F 536°F

Valvoline 333°F 513°F

Castrol LMA 311°F 446°F

Ford HD 290°F 550°F

Wilwood 570 284°F 570°F

PFC-Z rated 284°F 550°F

AP-550 284°F 550°F

Valvoline Synthetic is available at Wal-Mart for less than $7 a liter. Recommended for all ABS, hydraulic drum and disc braking systems and hydraulic clutches requiring DOT 3 and DOT 4 fluids. Its premium, synthetic, low moisture formulation provides superior anti-vapor lock protection. SynPower High Performance Brake Fluid has a high dry-boiling point of 513°F that reduces the risk of fluid vaporization and possible brake failure. Wet boiling point is 333°F.

Castrol SRF is a hyper-exotic and hyper-expensive brake fluid that is generally used by wealthy Porsche owners at track events. I've seen prices of $78 per liter for this stuff. It is not suitable for the street because it absorbs moisture quickly. Sold in metal cans. I can't afford this stuff!

Motul Racing 600 is a very exotic and relatively expensive synthetic fluid with high wet and dry boiling points. I use this exclusively in my race cars. Too expensive for the street and requires frequent changing due to its hydroscopic nature. [Rob Robinette adds: Many people do use this stuff in their street car and it's compatible with ABS. The bottle says it will last between 12 and 24 months depending upon the application. That's long enough for me. Sold in plastic bottles at most motorcycle shops for $15 per liter.]

ATE Super Blue Racing and ATE TYP 200 are the same brake fluid in two different colors (blue and amber, respectively). BMW recommends this brake fluid for their street cars because it, like Castrol LMA, absorbs moisture very slowly. The advantage over LMA is that ATE has a much better wet boiling point. You can put this stuff in your car and forget about it for a long time. An excellent choice for a weekend track car which also sees regular street duty. Comes in metal cans. This is what I use in all my street cars.

Castrol GT LMA is very good at rejecting moisture and may be kept in your brake system for a couple years. The LMA stands for "Low Moisture Absorption". This is the minimum quality stuff that I would use in my Impala. It comes in plastic containers which do not have a long shelf life. Don't buy lots of this stuff at a time because moisture can make its way through the plastic containers.

Ford Heavy Duty DOT 3 is VERY inexpensive and is popular among racers because of its excellent dry boiling point. It absorbs moisture quickly, but the racers don't care since they change their fluid frequently. Comes in metal cans so it may be stored. I would not use this in my Impala for the street.

Performance Friction High Performance DOT 3 has a good dry boiling point but a crummy wet boiling point. It comes in metal cans which is good for shelf life and sells for $7.87 per 16 ounce container. If you are even considering this fluid, I would go with the cheaper Ford Heavy Duty DOT 3. In either case, change this fluid frequently due to the poor wet boiling point.

i'd figure since they say it absorbs moisture quickly, you'd have to change it pretty often.

the side effect of shit that absorbs moisture is that, unless you're anal about maintenence, water will sit in your brake lines and calipers and eventually cause them to seize. That's why i had to rebuild all my calipers, becuase the previous owners allowed the car to sit over the entire winter.