Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Tyrant was crap last night

Lee Burridge and Craig Richards were fucking boring....after about 3 hours of hearing the same fucking bassline I had enough and left

Mavi was good in the back room....playing similar shit but changing it up every so often

he should have been on the main floor with bill patrick all night

:cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

i thought the dull prog djs would have learned after GKGG when all they had to do was look in the colors tent to find out just how empty it was.... way out west is an exception, of course.

The realization that "journey" music that doesn't change for 2 hours, except for the addition of a hi-hat is the dullest thing ever to breach man's ears was like finding out the emperor has no clothes... If yer going to be spinning until 10am, the least you could do is mix it up a little bit.

Originally posted by dialectics

i thought the dull prog djs would have learned after GKGG when all they had to do was look in the colors tent to find out just how empty it was.... way out west is an exception, of course.

The realization that "journey" music that doesn't change for 2 hours, except for the addition of a hi-hat is the dullest thing ever to breach man's ears was like finding out the emperor has no clothes... If yer going to be spinning until 10am, the least you could do is mix it up a little bit.

there was no prog last night. it was 10 hours of tech house

god that fukin suked

half the nite i didnt even dance cuz it was so fuking boring

i looked at the crowd and most people were just standing there slowily moving their heads up and down and thas it

i couldnt even tell the difference between the opening act and when Tyrant actually came on

same fukin non stop boom boom boom........... neverending

overall it fuking suked

at round 6 am they started playing some better stuff i think it was some beaks

:blown:

the crowd was nice though

Originally posted by diegonyc

who knows, maybe nyc isn't quite ready for that particular sound.

their set from 6 am onwards was exactly what i was looking for.

yes, from 6 am onwards. seeing as the set lasted from 11 am onward, isn't that a BIT of a wait for the "good part" of it?...

this is copied form what i posted on the arc board:

i expected a lot more negative reviews, honestly but it was an eventful night for me.

first, the music - i agree with a lot of others that it was boring. they started off real nice from bill's set and took it nowhere. i was waiting and waiting for it to pick up and it didn't. i did like what i was hearing at first, nice and funky, techy beats. but it could have been the same song the first four hours. (with the exception of the star spangled banner bit, that was cool) so i was gettin pretty bored, worn out really. i was waiting for it to move me and it just didn't to the point that i was just about to leave around 6, and then they played a GREAT breaks track. and i can't resist breaks so i stayed. the breaks didn't last near long enough but the set did get better from that point on, until i left at about 7:30.

IMO, i don't want to wait 4 hours to hear a set that blows me away (except maybe with DH, but that is different). so i was a little disappointed. i had never heard tyrant at all before and i heard all these great reviews of them and i expected to be blown away. it was to the point that most of the other talent i have seen at arc this year has moved me more. BUT once they did get going their type of style really is for me.

as for the people...

i met so many people who were so great! i really thought the crowd was fantastic last night. to me it was like half a howells crowd and half cool people i have never seen before, which is always great. and i met a bunch of new arc board ppl which was great. hope to see you next week. come say hi if you see me cause i am blind at finding ppl in the club.

i'm soo glad i wasnt the only one that thought it sucked....i'm not a huge fan of bass driven house but i went wit an open mind after reading some posts that it was supposed to be good a good nite...but it turned out to be really boring...i kept waiting for some variety, but it was the same monotonous beats all nite

Originally posted by turpentyine

ye thas y i went too

cuz everyone said it was gona b a good nite

i should of went to webster hall instead never been there before and always wanted to try it out

heard ricky corbo is good

i bet he was better than that crap last nite

wow i read your posts on arc and i wasn't going to argue that the music was off, BUT webster hall over arc?? that is a little extreme... maybe kind IV over tyrant but not webster hall....

Originally posted by turpentyine

ye thas y i went too

cuz everyone said it was gona b a good nite

i should of went to webster hall instead never been there before and always wanted to try it out

heard ricky corbo is good

i bet he was better than that crap last nite

well to each his own guy. give it another 2-3 years and maybe you'll learn to appreciate music like this, then again, maybe not.

well to each his own guy. give it another 2-3 years and maybe you'll learn to appreciate music like this, then again, maybe not.

"Learn to appreciate" it? You clearly have different tastes, but I don't think it's a question of musical sophistication. The music was pleasant, groovy, but entirely repetitive and not at all inspiring. It was the exact same bassline over and over again. They could have played most of those records in completely random order and gotten the same effect.

I think most people there felt similarly, at least until 4:30 or thereabouts when it picked up a bit (but not enough, IMO). There were a lot of bobbing heads but not so many dancing feet...

well they're not howells or sander or dt or sven vath. that's how they play. what u call boring i find interesting. im not going to bother going in this further with anyone because it's a waste of time.

what i will say is that their peak time is not what we expect to hear at peak time. their peak time tracks aren't necessarily bangin. they just do it in their own way. if you were there from 6 am on, it would have made more sense. a lot of people got inpatient and left around 5 am. a lot of people had family commitments. it's all good... i myself give a dj a few chances before i form a proper opinion. it was my first time hearing them live before and i agree, it took them a while to find their groove... they played the night before at charlotte, and the night before in baltimore, and the night before in philly, before than they were in the uk. im not making any excuses for them but i would be so fucking exhausted if that was me.

talk amongst yourselves. im done w/ this.

easy

arc is a tricky place to play, especially for Tyrant. they don't play "big tunes", so if they are in a big room like arc, which is very bass heavy, it naturally takes away from their strengths, which is their quirky and trippy sounds. if you notice, all the spots they have played thus far aren't as big as arc.

it was good, especially from 6 onward when they hit their groove.

who knows, maybe nyc isn't quite ready for that particular sound.

their set from 6 am onwards was exactly what i was looking for.

I think this is very true. Tyrant isnt like your other djs. From about 5:30am on I think they rocked the house with some very untraditional stuff. But that is what they are known for. I saw them at Sonar in Baltimore and I think they sounded much more "normal" then, becuase the club closes at 2am they didnt have time to do their wacked out thing.

Originally posted by hotcheme

wow i read your posts on arc and i wasn't going to argue that the music was off, BUT webster hall over arc?? that is a little extreme... maybe kind IV over tyrant but not webster hall....

i am not comparing arc to webster hall just sain that maybe the dj there was better than tyrant was most of the nite

because from wut i heard ricky corbo plays some good tunes

I thought their sound was fantastic.

I would also point out that their music isnt monotonous bass driven pound it out prog.

their sound caters to the crowd that pays attention not only to the bass lines, but to whats going on in the back ground. the voices echoing around the club, the odd clicks and such.

their sound doesnt cater to the die hard prog fans. there is so much more going on in the music they choose than the music that kleinenber/ diggers etc typically play.

at 5:30 they totally got in a groove and I was massively disappointed to have to leave the club at 7am.

and if someone can wait 4 hours for howells to get into his groove, how can you not afford other dj's the same luxury?

I think the folks who considering themselves forward / open minded EDM fans should listen to their music more.

their show at Arc was much better than their night in baltimore....and I cant wait for chicago this weekend.

Originally posted by hotcheme

Venue has nothing to do with the DJ that plays there. I bet wussies on this board would run to Webster hall on Saturday nights if Junior claimed it as his residency. Who gives a fuck if it's webster hall?!?!?

:blown:

-iliana

:blank: