Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Paul Van Dyk @ Virgin/Roxy review - long post!

I met PvD! I met PvD! I met PvD! :bounce: PvD achieved what no other human being in the world has managed to do - he rendered me speechless! I was completely & totally starstruck! :drunk:

Ad & I went to see him do an in-store set at Virgin on Friday afternoon. He spun in the booth so it wasn't as intimate as his Boston one. So we watched him for a little while then got in line to meet him. He spun for about an hour. I was totally getting nervous as it got closer to my turn. I don't know why! I think I told Ad I was going to be sick *lol* That anxiousness must still be left over from my teenybopper days ;) Anyhow, when it was my turn I stepped up to the table and placed my cd on it so he could sign it. He was chatting with someone and then turned to me. Dammit, anything I had possibly planned to say flew right out of my head. I couldn't say anything! I was completely dumbfouned - hehe. He smiled and said hello. This snapped me out of my daze. I think i said Hi! :laugh: He signed my cd and I asked him if he wouldn't mind taking a pic w/me. He was so nice and softspoken. Ad took our pic (Ad got one with him too!) and then it was over. It happened so fast. I wish I hadn't gotten so nervous but it was a completely honest moment!

Anyhow, on to the Roxy. We got there pretty early fearing the line disaster from the last time. Kudos to the Roxy/Made for getting their acts together! A complete 180 from last time. They had 3 separate lines. One each for tickets holders, will call & people paying cash. I think we were in line maybe 5 minutes.

Since we had about 3 hours to kill before PvD took the decks, we (Cookie, Sauvee, Ad & her bro, Naut & Ana) just chilled with our friends during Luis Diaz. He set up PvD really nicely because his set towards the end was bangin'. I remember telling Christina that I hoped PvD was going to spin a hard set because Luis Diaz had.

I have to admit, my favorite sets by PvD are his Miami ones. He spins much harder there and his sets in NYC tend to be a bit on the trancey side.... till now! Holy shit! He came on shortly after 2 and did not let up on us till shortly after 8. He brought out his big guns... wow! He spun hard, dark & dirty! I was floored (hehe, for several reasons!) I'm not much of a trainspotter so I'll wait for a tracklisting to surface. He did spin Another Way which i haven't heard the last few times I've seen him and its my favorite track! He mixed some evil mixes of his old classics but played so many unrecognizable songs. I love it when he does that!!! He puts just enough familiar ones in so you feel at home but totally surprises you as well. The thing that amazes me most about him is how he can go from trance to techno to breaks to house and back with such ease. He totally takes you on a ride. Flawless mixing! So fucking smooth. Oh man, what an amazing set! if this is what he has in store for us in the future, I can't wait!!

My favorite part of the night was watching Cookie's face! A PvD virgin no longer!!! Hehehe "Why did I wait so long to see him?" "OMG Gina, I love him" She spent more time watching PvD spin up at the booth than I ever have! I'm so proud ;) I'm so happy you finally had a PvD "experience" girly! I know you understand now :) "Whooooooooooo's the best dj in the wooooooooooorld?" LOL!

Special thanks to Sauvee for letting us crash, the dreamers & Groovers who always make PvD nights extra special (you guys are the best! :kiss2: ), Ad & Cookie for entertaining my whims and especially M - thank you for EVERTHING, I love ya!! :D

Ugh, I can't believe I have to go to work now :(

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by vicman

i think nautilus is trying to hide something :shaky:

What are you implying - that i am a PVD whore now?

I gotta admit - it WAS a fun night. Luis Diaz set was impressive - very hard and dark. PVD came one and for the first couple of tracks he kept up with Diaz's style but almost right away he dropped one of his anthems and i thought: oh, god! here we go...But surprisingly, his set wasnt all cheese. For the most of part it was hard and bangin'. Roxy is a pretty cool space: 1 floor, but a very large room with low ceiling, awesome lighting and a NICE sound system. The crowd was...well...NY style - i got pushed all night long but only heard "excuse me" once...

Had to leave around 7AM...But didnt get to go to sleep at all, so by Sat. night i couldnt even bear the thought of hitting up Arc.

On Sunday, though we went to chill at Central park (it was a very nice day) and got to see a Broadway show (Cabaret) for the first time. Pretty good trip overall. I would come back to Roxy for some Calderon since i missed him in DC this weekend.

Originally posted by nautilus60

The crowd was...well...NY style - i got pushed all night long but only heard "excuse me" once...

I remember you saying that to me. Then I pushed you :tongue:

I'm glad you had fun. I wish I could have seen you & Ana longer but I was a bit preoccupied :D I think one of the funniest parts of the night was me trying to put that peppermint stuff on your face LOL, I was trying so hard not to get any in your eyes! I was g-o-n-e! :drunk:

Zoya - I saw your friend, Lena, I think her name is. She was walking through the crowd and we spotted each other at the same time. We were so happy to see one other *lol* "OMG! I haven't seen you since Miami!" haha, those are the best moments :D

Originally posted by nautilus60

PVD came one and for the first couple of tracks he kept up with Diaz's style but almost right away he dropped one of his anthems and i thought: oh, god! here we go...But surprisingly, his set wasnt all cheese.

lmao

:laugh: :laugh:

i finally made it up after some lengthy carpool problems. the 3 lines helped and we got in close to 1:45. he started off really strong, playing some hard stuff then imo he flat-lined. of all the times that i heard pvd spin (13 different times) this set was my least enjoyable. his set was goin in 20 different directions. he played, as he always does, his classics like words, some rapture mix i've never heard before, and we are alive (one of my favorites) but he also played mr. dj, wtf? he also trainwrecked horribly, i didn't know to laugh or cry. i guess my expectations of him are so high that me and my friends were fairly disappointed. he did play some dark tracks and breaks but there wasn't too much of a flow. needless to say few songs got me on the dancefloor and i was mostly a spectator the whole night. oh well. :confused: :confused: :(:mad:

Awww you got to meet him!!!! I never have but some of my friends have and they all said that he's the nicest person, just very sweet and easy to talk to (if you can talk at all LOL).. So where's the picture????????? I wanna see the look on your face standing next to PVD :)

A lot of my friends went to PVD, I was gonna go but I just couldn't bring myself to go anywhere after just coming back in the middle of the week.. Lina would probably challenge you to the PVD whore title LOL.. She looooooves the man.. And oh man, Miami seems like it was months ago now :(

yeah, i forgot, *i think i actually made myself believe that he didn't play* madonna . . .

was that a bad dream, madonna wtf that got me:mad: . mysteriousss, i don't know what happened. he was just all over the place. i think i might be seeing the beginning symptoms of commercialization, that awful virus that took away the other paul (okenfold). i think he's trying to please the masses. he should just stick to his guns and spin a set that is him. it didn't feel like pvd at all . . .

mind you, i'm his biggest fan so i still think he's awesome. it might just be the venue, roxy, where he turns into cheese. i still think he rawks. he just didn't bring his "a" game to the roxy. i guess i'll have to wait until he comes back to dc.

I don't even know where to start! I had *such* an amazing time - thank you thank you thank you tiny b. for finally getting me to a PvD gig.

I'm still pretty cracked - so I'll just type what I can remember!

* PVD - incredible! Such energy and variety - great tracks (Born Slippy - oh. my. god.) and the chill-out at the end. . . *sigh*

* "I haven't been able to see straight for an hour!"

* You should see the bruise on my Lower lower back from my encounter w/ the speakers - "rough sex w/ PvD!"

* lasers lasers lasers lasers

* giving in to tiny b.'s raspberries

* CrAcKhEaD ExPrEss and the Aztec!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

And a special thank you to sauvee for being such an outstanding host. I'm so glad I finally got to see your NYC digs and hang with you again! :kiss2:

Today = :screwy::blah::zzz:

i need to see a pic of cookiegirl wearing the t-shirt she wore on friday. :D

I don't know if there are any - operating a camera was not high on the list of priorities Friday night. :shaky:

Here's what the shirt kinda looked like tho - minus the red "X" and crappily re-created in MS Paint. :rolleyes:

attachment.php?postid=1427732

i need to see a pic of cookiegirl wearing the t-shirt she wore on friday. :D

unfortunately no one took a pic of it. Brandon had a camera but we lost him for most of the night. I didn't bring a camera because I already had too much shit in my pockets!

The shirt was such a big hit :D I think it got her some unwanted attention though (Cookie - you know who I mean! "High five!" LOL)

It can only be worn once though :D

Originally posted by shadygroovedc

Cookie could X out virgin and put 'Whore' underneath it so she could wear it again!

Tiny and I were thinking "Slut" . . . :D

The shirt was such a big hit I think it got her some unwanted attention though (Cookie - you know who I mean! "High five!" LOL)

That guy was too much! :laugh: "PvD Virgins - Hi 5!" He kept asking me about where I lived, what I did for work, if I liked my freakin' job - I told him to shut up and listen to the music! :whip: