Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Club Poll! Opinions needed!

lagurl

Still trying to nail down which clubs we're going to visit while in Miami. Can I get some raw opinions on the following clubs:

Club Spin

Crobar

Level

Opium

Rain

Shadow Lounge

B.E.D.

Let me have it, the good :tongue: the bad :( and the ugly :screwy:

Thanks gang!

Originally posted by lagurl

Still trying to nail down which clubs we're going to visit while in Miami. Can I get some raw opinions on the following clubs:

Club Spin

Crobar

Level

Opium

Rain

Shadow Lounge

B.E.D.

Let me have it, the good :tongue: the bad :( and the ugly :screwy:

Thanks gang!

hmm lets see :

Club Spin<-- called Spiclub now...go on saturdays before space!

Crobar<-- good but skip for space!

Level<-- has skribble monthly..but mostly hiphop/d-n-b for now

Opium<-- Dade...the owner..has put his money into a great venue! check it out if u get the chance

Rain<-- great soundsystem..but go only if u want a more intimate club setting

Shadow Lounge<-- Dade owned this one...but unfortunately its closed :( long live SHADOW!

B.E.D.<-- lol dont bother (man i havent heard of this place in a while..is it still open??)

u forgot one thing..SPACE34!!!

check this out...

Fridays...Maze (16th and Alton..behind the gas station)

Saturdays..try Spiclub and/or Opium...and hit up Space for afterhours!

hope that helps!

:hat:

Club Spin

- Since renamed to Spi Club. 2 certain local faves will be starting a residency there soon on Saturdays. Go to it. It will be fun.

Atmosphere: Great decor and a great crowd :)

Tech stuff: Sound system and lighting array 9 outta 10

020510009.jpg

Crobar

- Still there. Lavish interior, decent staff, and an OK DJ lineup. Best nights to go are friday and saturday. Avoid on Thursdays...trust me.

Atmosphere: Nice decor inside, crowd sometimes acts a little too fabulous for it's own good.

Tech stuff: Custom Phazon sound system is pretty good, lighting is pretty well done...no complaints.

020207009.jpg

Level

- Still there, surprisingly. Den of hip-hop and bad parties. Don't go.

Only redeeming quality left is FX's breaks party on Saturdays, but they have him stuffed upstairs.

Atmosphere: Thugged-out ghetto dickheads, touristy morons, and clueless locals.

Tech stuff: Last time I was there, the sound system was in decent shape...lighting systems pretty good.

1110003.jpg

Opium

- High class locals joint. Don't expect to get in. Once in awhile local luminarie Dade Sokoloff will throw a top-quality party there...we'll let ya know when he does :) Normal nights it's OK at best...lotsa snooty folk.

Atmosphere: Upscale rich folk, and wannabe upscale rich folk. Outdoor club, the place itself is quite nice...

Tech stuff: Decent sound system and lighting for an outdoor place.

image010.jpg

Rain

- Avoid. Has devolved into a hip-hop den of crapulence.

Atmosphere: Ghetto trash. Decor is OK at best. Terrazo floors suck.

Tech stuff: A fucking joke.

No photo available. Not even gonna bother.

Shadow Lounge

- No longer open. The aforementioned Dade Sokoloff owned the joint. Had the best DJs and nights. You probably knew that :)

Atmosphere: Benchmark in my opinion...so many cool people. Decor was dark!

Tech Stuff: My friend Drew kept it tight.

IMG0004.jpg

for old time's sake.

B.E.D

- Go for the food, go elsewhere after.

Atmosphere: There's beds with girls on 'em.

Tech Stuff: Sound sucks...Lighting's kinda cool, though.

Clubs you missed:

Space 34

- The successor to Club Space, everyone ends up here at some point. 24 hour liquor license, the best residents and guest DJs. If you go anywhere in Miami, go here.

Atmosphere: Huge. It's big. Crowd ranges from cool to sketchy, but there's 4,000 of 'em, so you get a nice spectrum.

Tech Stuff: Amazing. Lord and Louis outdid themselves. Kickass lighting rig...mobile :)

image003.jpg

Maze:

- Back on West Avenue, is Maze. Maze started out rough, but it's doing great now. Eddie Guerra (on the board here) put together a killer Friday. Great resident DJs, guest DJs you won't find anywhere else.

Atmosphere: Very down-home crowd, no bullshit. Decor is very minimalist, lotsa dark colours.

Tech stuff: Flagship Funktion-One sound system...one of two in the US. Lighting is pretty damn good.

image009.jpg

Nerve:

-Brand new mini-venue in the old Lola space flips the bird at convention. Expect some cool shit here :). Guest DJs galore on the slate for the next few months. Friday is there best night.

Atmosphere: Unique...lotsa cool charachters.

Tech stuff: New Phazon rig sounds great. Lighting could use some work, but it's pretty decent overall.

No photos yet...haven't scanned 'em in..I know I'm lazy.

.cooljunkie. for up-to-the-minute info on events at all these venues.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! :D You are wonderful!!:heart: :heart: :heart:

That has to be the best club review (with pictures) to date!

I have another question, what's the deal with ZNO? Is it worth checking out?

Thanks!

Okay, no hip hop haven for me...

Thanks for the tip! :) The club looked so nice too....:yuck:

So let me ask you another question: say 5 girls were arriving in Miami on a Thursday afternoon and leaving on Monday afternoon, could you break down the ultimate club itinerary based on your club review!

Would totally appreciate it! :)

Well, it kinda depends on what weekend you'd be getting in...especially in May. There's a lot of special events going on.

Thursday: Not much, to be honest. (Everyone else, shut up, you know it's true...)

Friday: Maze, Nerve (Anthony Pappa on May 9th, Layo and Bushwacka! bought to you by .cooljunkie. on may 16th...it goes on and on @ Nerve), crobar sometimes...

Saturday: SpiClub for Ralph and Stryke. Space 34 after (May 10th, Steve Lawler, May 24th, Deep Dish...) Space 34 will keep you going far into Sunday afternoon, and if you still want more, go to the "Graduation" party at Lime Bar featuring Gaby Fain and Cue.

Starts at 1 PM, goes till 10 PM.

Thursday: Oxygen Lounge in Coconut Grove. Superstar DJ Ivano Bellini. Great Music and beautiful venue.

Friday: Go to Maze. Huge club. 2 killer DJ's Ralph Falcon and Jon Cowan. OPEN BAR 10-12. Then hit Opium and Prive' if you want to be at the " in" crowd. 2 different places, 2 different scenes.

Or more of a lounge/club, head over to Jade which is right by Maze.

Saturday during the day: Come out to the BBQ at South Point Park, a good time to meet allot of peeople and get some sun.. Check other threads.

Saturday: go to Chill Restaurant and Lounge around 11 .A great place to start your evening off with no cover for everyone, and a relaxing atmosphere. Everyone present will get free admission to Crobar.

then go to Crobar, and or Spi Club. Both will good and only a few blocks apart

Then head to Space34 around 4 am till noon Sunday. The old Space closed 3 weeks ago and the new Space is even better, if you can imagine. Resident DJ's this weekend, check out the rooftop patio, it is amazing.

Sunday: just go to the beach and relax and Check out Nikki Beach in the afternoon.

If you have any further questions feel free to email me, to get you on some guest lists. Good luck have fun.

Check out www.tilllate.com for more information and thousands of pictures to see what is in store for you.

Not to put a damper in your plans, but just want to give you the heads up on what is in store for your Memorial Day weekend on South Beach. You may want to Head up to Ft . Lauderdale one night to check it out also, plenty going on there.

The previous clubs mentioned will have plenty going on, but we will also have to deal with the hip- hop crowd more.

Luther Campbell of 2 live Crew fame has been organizing a party here fro a few years now.

Campbell is calling on Miami-Dade County to step up their support for upcoming Memorial Day festivities, which have in the past brought up to 250,000 hip-hop lovers to South Beach for the three-day weekend. Campbell’s Umoja Planning Committee met with the City of Miami Beach Friday. Friday’s meeting is the latest in what has been almost a year of meetings to plan large-scale Memorial Day 2003 activities. By sitting down with municipal officials and law enforcement agencies, Campbell hopes to secure support for his group’s holiday weekend proposal to bring performers who have renown on par with South Beach’s fame. Umoja is also trying to ensure Black residents and visitors are received more congenially than in previous years.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miami/entertainment/3348464.htm

http://www.gravitygroove.com/Mnews/Archives/00000001.htm

crobar, Maze, Space 34 and Nerve will not be doing hip-hop events. You still have plenty of options if you come down on Memorial Day.

Eric mentioned Oxygen...good choice, but The Grove is very touristy...