Clubplanet Nightlife Community

rave act passed!

beatfreq

If you can't treat the problem, treat the symptom? I'm a tad split too. On the one hand, it makes me ill going to a party and seeing a bunch of cracked-out e-tards laying all over the dance floor. On the other hand, they're just doing their thing, and I can go elsewhere or ignore it.

My whole problem is that it's legislation that is completely ineffective at curbing drug addiction. But increased security does make the drug use much less blatant, which I'm in support of. There just needs to be clarification on how club owners and promoters can do diligence in preventing prosecution. What constitutes adequate security measures? There is no way to prevent drug use in clubs, though a reasonable effort must be made to do just that. But, what is reasonable?

i'm not split on it at all. i don't think it's fair to penalize owners, establishments, or events because of the behavior of their patrons. there will always be people doing drugs everywhere. this bill also allows for way too much favoritism and corruption on the part of local police and the government at large :no: .

So if these same club owners were knowingly allowing rape in their bathrooms, should they be held accountable? Obviously these are two different extremes and one represents a crime with no victim. But, the fact remains that they are both crimes which someone is turning their back to. While I may disagree with US drug policy in general, I don't think that it's unreasonable to identify club owners as accessories to a crime they know is being committed. And as of now, use and sale of drugs is a crime.

You are 100% right about this allowing for favoritism and corruption. But, club owners are already playing the political game, so hopefully they'll be able to step up and play by the new rules...

Originally posted by lostin310

So if these same club owners were knowingly allowing rape in their bathrooms, should they be held accountable? Obviously these are two different extremes...

i don't find this to be a fair comparison at all.

owners can stop the occurance of rape at their clubs much more easily than they can someone sneaking in and quickly swallowing an illegal pill. yes, it's pretty easy to spot (and smell) people smoking weed out of a pipe and passing it around to each other on the dancefloor, and owners who turn their heads to that are another story. but it's honestly easy to miss quite a lot of the drug consumption that goes on.

Originally posted by weyes

i don't find this to be a fair comparison at all.

owners can stop the occurance of rape at their clubs much more easily than they can someone sneaking in and quickly swallowing an illegal pill. yes, it's pretty easy to spot (and smell) people smoking weed out of a pipe and passing it around to each other on the dancefloor, and owners who turn their heads to that are another story. but it's honestly easy to miss quite a lot of the drug consumption that goes on.

No question it'll still happen. Does a crime being more difficult to stop mean we should just stop trying?

Originally posted by lostin310

No question it'll still happen. Does a crime being more difficult to stop mean we should just stop trying?

no, but it's not fair to say that an owner isn't trying to stop these acts, simply because they are going on.

Originally posted by weyes

no, but it's not fair to say that an owner isn't trying to stop these acts, simply because they are going on.

Yep, and that's exactly why I was saying there needs to be a clear explanation on what constitutes a reasonable effort. Like you're saying, it could be easy to abuse the law.