Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Pluggin North of the Border - Montreal This Tweekend

upstatecb

Alright, alright. I can't write a whole review right now... mostly because I don't even know where I'd begin, but I'll give it a shot (I hate when everyone goes and does something fun on the weekend then won't tell me about it, so I'm trying over herE).

Friday night - absolutely amazing. Started off getting smashed at Stereo Bar. First DJ was excellent... then Chris Duckenfield (sp?) came on and played a fucking awesome little set. Perfect warm-up for Tyrant. Perfect, drunken mind-set going into stereo for Tyrant.

Tyrant. Forgetaboutit. They didn't do the slow, building, whatever whatever I was expecting. They simply fucking killed it for 8 hours. Banging, trippy, moving... everyone dancing, no one would stop. Crowd was eating it alive. Stereo was the perfect environment for them. A big, dark box with the most powerful system I've ever heard. really, really bass-heavy, ridiculously loud, perfect for Tyrant. They kept the lights really chill but were SO ON with the music.. just right. I don't know what else to say, I was expecting a lot from them and they blew away anything I could've come up with.

Saturday - warm up DJ at Aria was really good. And super-super-hot. (her name is Maus). Lavelle came on and started out good. Played some really cool tracks, did an hour and a half or so of great, driving breaks. Then turned into the worst dj ever. His mixing was SHIT after that, his tracks were pathetic (Feel My Drums, Love Story, trainwreck express). Still a fun night, Aria is definitely my favorite club of all time. The visuals, lights, eye-candy in that place is unreal.

Incredible time.

Originally posted by kaydup

Nice review. No after after party on friday

(That review did no justice to the night.)

Lee and Craig had a gig at 10 PM in Chicago on Saturday, so they didn't do afterhours (to my knowledge anyway). I guess they said they would've played longer at Stereo otherwise (they were loving it there).

We did a super-drunken afterhours. Really, really funny times. We were the drunken, funny Americans on vacation hanging out with the Montreal regulars and Toronto's answer to Stiffler (& company).

Three cases of Candien beer later and it was off to a strip club!

A bunch of us went up on a bus trip from MTL Vacations over the summer. We found one of the tour guides stumbling back to the hotel around 3:00AM so we dragged him to Aria. He said the next time we go up we could bring our turntables and set up an after-Aria party in one of the hotel's function rooms.

:party::dj::party:

Originally posted by vicman

was lavelle that bad? or is it 'cuz you dont like breaks?

I was loving Lavelle's breaks early on in the night. They were heavy, groovy, fun, get your ass moving kind of breaks. And his mixes were seemless But after an hour or hour and a half or so of that he just completely lost it. He started playing "big" songs that were moldy as all hell and just didn't fit into the set AT ALL. Worse than that, he fucked up more mixes than I have EVER heard at a club DJ fuck up (crappy resident or otherwise). It was seriously sad... almost comical.

He played some good songs (including the Plump DJs mix of Donna Summers - I Feel Love) . I was also a little let down because the start of his set was so good. Songs I'd never heard that were bangers. He played this rap song (that I guess is an Unkle production I'm told) that floored me. Then the good breaks, then... poof.... shit for the rest of the set.

Oh, plus Lavelle was a toolbox in general. Come on.... Love Story (original mix) as one of your last songs. Give me a break man!