Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Lets settle this CP style: Club Sound system battle!!

Guest saleen351

Which system sounds the best in Miami TO YOU BASED ON WHAT YOU LIKE??  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which system sounds the best in Miami TO YOU BASED ON WHAT YOU LIKE??

• Old Space
    • Space 34
    • Nerve
    • Crobar
    • Maze

Originally posted by saleen351

http://electronics.cnet.com/electronics/0-6342376-8-5812389-1.html

Pod whats the word on DVD-Audio and Super Audio CD? Are they comming to the clubs?

Depends on industry acceptance of either medium.

MoS in London has a DVD-Audio/DVD-Video deck in their DJ booth, their whole system can be reconfigured via software for movie premiers and the like. Then again, they have almost every common mixer, turntable, CD deck, and so forth in-house to suit just about any DJs taste. There's a photo floating around somewhere of the booth...

As for putting a DVD-Audio deck or a Super Audio CD deck in a DJ booth, one of the major manufacturers has to make a DJ-friendly player first of all, and then the DJs and clubs actually have to buy the player, provided that producers put material out on either media.

Maze certainly sounds great on the dancefloor, but it's horrid in the VIP areas. My beef is that they attempt to do the coverage, and it's not done well. Again, if you do something, do it right, ya know? It's why overall Space 34 edges Maze out...by a very slim margin.

DJs themselves can make or break a system too...some DJs play too hard, some play too soft. There's been nights at Maze where I wonder what the hell happened...same for Space, and just about any other club.

The upsides to the soundsystems at Maze and Space is that they are all made from commonly available components...if something breaks, any local tech worth the title can fix it...and in the case of those two clubs, the techs that did the installs (Sound Investment Ltd., and Infinite Audio Systems, respectively) are locals, and can take care of it. With the systems at Nerve and crobar, something breaks, a Phazon-certified tech has to fly on down and do the repairs...plus there's a yearly upkeep plan that runs somewhere in the neighborhood of $80,000 I believe. Yeah, you can have someone else try to fix it, but you risk the wrath of Dash's sound police...which is a great idea BTW, more clubs need sound police...plus I think it's funny that a technician can push around prima donnas like Tenaglia :)

There is low-end reinforcement in the Space 34 mezzanine...in my mind it maybe could be boosted a few dB. It won't harm people much at all. There's a term in audio engineering called the Fletcher-Munson curve, which dictates:

Humans don't hear all frequencies of sound at the same level. That is, our ears are more sensitive to some frequencies and less sensitive to other frequencies. Not only that, but the sensitivity changes with the sound pressure level (SPL), too. Take a look at the chart below. You'll notice it's marked horizontally with a scale denoting the frequency of sound. Vertically it's marked in SPL. On the chart are a number of curved lines, each with a number (loudness level) marked. Let's begin by looking at the lowest solid line marked with a loudness level of 10 phons. (The loudness level in phons is a subjective sensation--this is the level we perceive the sound to be at.) From about 500Hz to roughly 1,500Hz the line is flat on the 10dB scale. This means that for us to perceive the sound being a loudness level (LL) of 10 phons, (the overall curved line), frequencies from 500Hz to 1,500 Hz must be 10dB. Make sense so far? OK, now look further into the higher frequencies, say 5,000Hz. Notice the line dips here--this says we perceive 5,000Hz to be 10 phons when the source is actually only 6dB. To perceive 10,000Hz at the same level (10 phons), it would need to be about 20dB. From this we can clearly see the ear is more sensitive in the 2,000Hz to 5,000Hz range, yet not nearly as sensitive in the 6,000Hz and up range.

fm1.gif

paraphrased from some UM Audio Engineering course websites...

To sum it up, the human ear is less sensitive to low frequencies...that's why most clubs have massive amounts of low end. It's not the low end that causes hearing damage, either. 125 dB of low end is quite comfortable. 125 db of mids or highs is damaging.

Space 34 could pitch up an extra Nexo Alpha sub or two upstairs for the desired low-end that many are seeking. I personally haven't spent a lot of time up there...I will tonight to see for sure...:)

Originally posted by pod

Depends on industry acceptance of either medium.

MoS in London has a DVD-Audio/DVD-Video deck in their DJ booth, their whole system can be reconfigured via software for movie premiers and the like. Then again, they have almost every common mixer, turntable, CD deck, and so forth in-house to suit just about any DJs taste. There's a photo floating around somewhere of the booth...

As for putting a DVD-Audio deck or a Super Audio CD deck in a DJ booth, one of the major manufacturers has to make a DJ-friendly player first of all, and then the DJs and clubs actually have to buy the player, provided that producers put material out on either media.

Maze certainly sounds great on the dancefloor, but it's horrid in the VIP areas. My beef is that they attempt to do the coverage, and it's not done well. Again, if you do something, do it right, ya know? It's why overall Space 34 edges Maze out...by a very slim margin.

DJs themselves can make or break a system too...some DJs play too hard, some play too soft. There's been nights at Maze where I wonder what the hell happened...same for Space, and just about any other club.

The upsides to the soundsystems at Maze and Space is that they are all made from commonly available components...if something breaks, any local tech worth the title can fix it...and in the case of those two clubs, the techs that did the installs (Sound Investment Ltd., and Infinite Audio Systems, respectively) are locals, and can take care of it. With the systems at Nerve and crobar, something breaks, a Phazon-certified tech has to fly on down and do the repairs...plus there's a yearly upkeep plan that runs somewhere in the neighborhood of $80,000 I believe. Yeah, you can have someone else try to fix it, but you risk the wrath of Dash's sound police...which is a great idea BTW, more clubs need sound police...plus I think it's funny that a technician can push around prima donnas like Tenaglia :)

There is low-end reinforcement in the Space 34 mezzanine...in my mind it maybe could be boosted a few dB. It won't harm people much at all. There's a term in audio engineering called the Fletcher-Munson curve, which dictates:

Humans don't hear all frequencies of sound at the same level. That is, our ears are more sensitive to some frequencies and less sensitive to other frequencies. Not only that, but the sensitivity changes with the sound pressure level (SPL), too. Take a look at the chart below. You'll notice it's marked horizontally with a scale denoting the frequency of sound. Vertically it's marked in SPL. On the chart are a number of curved lines, each with a number (loudness level) marked. Let's begin by looking at the lowest solid line marked with a loudness level of 10 phons. (The loudness level in phons is a subjective sensation--this is the level we perceive the sound to be at.) From about 500Hz to roughly 1,500Hz the line is flat on the 10dB scale. This means that for us to perceive the sound being a loudness level (LL) of 10 phons, (the overall curved line), frequencies from 500Hz to 1,500 Hz must be 10dB. Make sense so far? OK, now look further into the higher frequencies, say 5,000Hz. Notice the line dips here--this says we perceive 5,000Hz to be 10 phons when the source is actually only 6dB. To perceive 10,000Hz at the same level (10 phons), it would need to be about 20dB. From this we can clearly see the ear is more sensitive in the 2,000Hz to 5,000Hz range, yet not nearly as sensitive in the 6,000Hz and up range.

fm1.gif

paraphrased from some UM Audio Engineering course websites...

To sum it up, the human ear is less sensitive to low frequencies...that's why most clubs have massive amounts of low end. It's not the low end that causes hearing damage, either. 125 dB of low end is quite comfortable. 125 db of mids or highs is damaging.

Space 34 could pitch up an extra Nexo Alpha sub or two upstairs for the desired low-end that many are seeking. I personally haven't spent a lot of time up there...I will tonight to see for sure...:)

POD U R THE BOMB, ALWAYS GETTING TO THE TECHICAL.;):D

Guest saleen351

Ok, well here is one more:

Lincoln LS will offer a package that is THX certified by george lucas that you can put in your LS from the factory!!!!!!

I'm sure if you had the dough and wanted killer sound GL and his company would kick the piss out of every thing on earth!!!!!

just my 2 cents..

pod nice graphs:D

Let me get in on this....

Im going with 34!!!!(surprised?)

The low end at 34 is unmatched in this town....at times you have trouble breathing due to the earth -shattering bass....and the tops have an incredible dispersion so when you are in the room you are emersed in sound....you can't feel it coming from any particular direction....It is a hybrid system which combines the best of both worlds...(not to mention the systems in the other rooms are probably better than most clubs out there)

The Funktion One at Maze is great...mids and highs are crystal clear....but I find it to be too directional....and not enough thump...don't get me wrong it is better than most clubs in the world, but since we are nit-picking, what the hell....Eddie complains about the vip at Space not having enough bass...well Ed...at least you can actually HEAR the music up there....at Maze its non-existent....

Nerve in my opinion is the best system I have ever heard in a venue that size HANDS DOWN.....When the right DJ is on the contols it is SWEET! You can stand right in front of a stack and have a conversation yet the system is kicking your ass....However I don't think it is fair to put it up against these other clubs...

Crobar is the most inconsistent system...I have heard it sound great and I have heard it sound terrible....not sure if it is a maintenance issue or what...but for that reason I put them iin last place....

Now as far as DJ booths....

There is no question 34's booth is tops...

Biggest work area and has 3 1210's(which Nerve and Crobar don't...tisk tisk), 2 CDJ1000'S, rANE 2016 w/panel,Pioneer EFX 500 (which noone else has either), 4 JBL full range monitors and a sub-cabinet , Private VIP area with couch, Bathroom, fridge, seperate area and entrance for Light Jockey....

Nerve...once again is at the top of their class...but again, don't think its fair to compare to much larger venues...Although, I honestly prefer the Nerve booth any day to Maze's or Crobar's...Nerve just needs to get that third turntable in there somehow (and of course a bathroom wouldn't hurt);)

Crobar and Maze are neck and neck for worst booth....Crobar's booth looks temporary, the area for records sucks and I hate the fact that it is open from the back....However, I have to go with Maze for the "worst booth in town" award...Anytime you have to risk your life on a makeshift ladder to get into a booth, you know something is wrong...I fear for my friend Ralph's life knowing that he is climbing in and out of that pit every week....Getting your records in there must be a bitch.....not to mention you can't see the dancefloor (and they can't see you) and I hate the Allen Heath mixer...that booth HAS GOT TO GO!!!!!

On a happier note...

I think if Maze builds a REAL booth and gets rid of the purple and green it will be the best club on the beach....

Nerve is my favorite little club...period!

and 34 is the best club in the country!!!!

(possibly the world)

Originally posted by djoscarg

Now as far as DJ booths....

There is no question 34's booth is tops...

Biggest work area and has 3 1210's(which Nerve and Crobar don't...tisk tisk), 2 CDJ1000'S, rANE 2016 w/panel,Pioneer EFX 500 (which noone else has either), 4 JBL full range monitors and a sub-cabinet , Private VIP area with couch, Bathroom, fridge, seperate area and entrance for Light Jockey....

Nerve...once again is at the top of their class...but again, don't think its fair to compare to much larger venues...Although, I honestly prefer the Nerve booth any day to Maze's or Crobar's...Nerve just needs to get that third turntable in there somehow (and of course a bathroom wouldn't hurt);)

Crobar and Maze are neck and neck for worst booth....Crobar's booth looks temporary, the area for records sucks and I hate the fact that it is open from the back....However, I have to go with Maze for the "worst booth in town" award...Anytime you have to risk your life on a makeshift ladder to get into a booth, you know something is wrong...I fear for my friend Ralph's life knowing that he is climbing in and out of that pit every week....Getting your records in there must be a bitch.....not to mention you can't see the dancefloor (and they can't see you) and I hate the Allen Heath mixer...that booth HAS GOT TO GO!!!!!

On a happier note...

I think if Maze builds a REAL booth and gets rid of the purple and green it will be the best club on the beach....

Nerve is my favorite little club...period!

and 34 is the best club in the country!!!!

(possibly the world)

I WILL DEFINITLY AGREE ABOUT THE BOOTH, THAT IS WHY WE ARE GONNA BUILD A NEW ONE, THAT WAS MY FRIST COMPLAINT WHEN I STARTED WORKING THERE, AS FOR MY VIP UPSTAIRS COMMENT, I WASNT COMPARING IT TO SPACE, DEFINETLY SPACE IS LOUDER UPSTAIRS COMPARED TO MAZE, ALSO MAZE DOSENT HAVE ANY SPEAKERS UPSTAIRS. I WAS JUST STATING THAT IT GAVE ME A HEADACHE LAST TIME I WAS THERE B/C IT WAS TOOO MUCH HIGHS AD MIDS BUT MABEY ITS JUST ME, AND YES THE LADDER IN THE BOOTH IS VERY DANGEROUS

Originally posted by eddyguerra305

AS FOR MY VIP UPSTAIRS COMMENT, I WASNT COMPARING IT TO SPACE, DEFINETLY SPACE IS LOUDER UPSTAIRS COMPARED TO MAZE, ALSO MAZE DOSENT HAVE ANY SPEAKERS UPSTAIRS. I WAS JUST STATING THAT IT GAVE ME A HEADACHE LAST TIME I WAS THERE B/C IT WAS TOOO MUCH HIGHS AD MIDS BUT MABEY ITS JUST ME

NAH ,NAH ! FUCK THAT EDDIE!

IT'S ON DOG!

WATCH YOUR BACK!!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by djoscarg

Let me get in on this....

Im going with 34!!!!(surprised?)

The low end at 34 is unmatched in this town....at times you have trouble breathing due to the earth -shattering bass....and the tops have an incredible dispersion so when you are in the room you are emersed in sound....you can't feel it coming from any particular direction....It is a hybrid system which combines the best of both worlds...(not to mention the systems in the other rooms are probably better than most clubs out there)

The Funktion One at Maze is great...mids and highs are crystal clear....but I find it to be too directional....and not enough thump...don't get me wrong it is better than most clubs in the world, but since we are nit-picking, what the hell....Eddie complains about the vip at Space not having enough bass...well Ed...at least you can actually HEAR the music up there....at Maze its non-existent....

:nono:

Oscar

thanks for the great props, anymore than that and the big L.P monster would have stuck out his head, but i knew what you meant and thank you.............space definitely rocks, so does crobar and so does maze..............but pound for pound (due to our size) we will not be denied "TOP SOUND SYSTEM" in Miami if not the country..........again our room is 5,000 sq. feet , yours is 150 million sq. ft and 20 stories high w/ a solarium and 200 foot ceilings...........

bar sales, door sales you win, I can't compete due to your massive size............but sound per sq. foot ........tisk tisk tisk, slow down cowboy !!!!!!!!

As far as the bathroom in the booth, nothing is better than that I agree, so far we just shit on the floor in the booth, so were good for now....

Only kidding

&

call me when you can...............

p.s

did you at least vote for nerve in the polls................hook a brother up ...////////.............lol

hope you rocked tonight, we were slammed so I'm beat and hitting the sack, maybe next week i will stop by to hear you play on the heart pounding, bass "o"rific, system you got

NOTHING BUT LOVE !!!!!!!!!

YOU KNOW YOUR MY FAVORITE DJ IN MIAMI !!!!!

Nerve Lounge

247 23rd street

(1 Block west of Collins next to rain)

Miami Beach, FL. 33139

305-695-8697 office

305-695-8699 fax

www.NerveMiami.com

NerveMiami@aol.com

UP COMING NERVE EVENTS FOR FRIDAY'S

May 30 ... OCEAN DRIVE PARTY & Tony Humphries ... @ Nerve

June 13 ... Dave Seaman & Infusion "Live" @ Nerve (Bliss & P:M Sessions)