Clubplanet Nightlife Community

NY Clubs are Closed

macfunk19

Twilo closed. Will Tunnel and Limelight be next? On June 20, the State Liquor Authority pulled the liquor licenses from Tunnel and Limelight. This decision in effect signals the end of both clubs and also casts a doubt on the planned sale of the clubs.

Peter Gatien had a 7-figure offer for Limelight, but without the liquor license, it is doubtful that offer will stand. Without the sale, Gatien will be unable to pay back the millions he owes both his landlords and the federal, state, and local governments in back taxes.

It looks like the case is headed to Manhattan courts for a final verdict. And to add a bit more humiliation to what was once known as the sparkling world of disco, Twilo's famous mirrored ball was put up for auction on Ebay for $5,100.

1 club closed and that was twilo.

no one besides 18 year olds went to the tunnel and limelight is just a wannabe twilo. life goes on, we're doing fine.

there are plenty of

djs that get booked here in nyc, just not at twilo. carl cox is playing tonight. yesterday was paul oakenfold, carl cox, and moby who played at a fest in jones beach. bassment jaxx played for free at central park yesterday which was massive. saturday, mr ian pooley thru down a sick set at centro-fly this past saturday night. oh and

not to mention the billboard dance music summit that starts on july 24th which features too many djs to list here.

thanks for your concerns funk of the funk promoter of the year.

cwm7.gif

being born and raised in new york . it would be sad to see, the clubs I first went to ,disappear. mayor Giuliani has declared war on clubs. While I am happy, that he has cleaned up times square, etc., his full out assault on nite clubs is asinine . the club owners have attempted to work with the city. however government officials, I'm sure have no real interest in this. nite clubs are the heart and soul of new york nightlife. this is giuliani 's last term in office; so I’m sure he wants to leave his mark on nyc. what he fails to remember, is that the nite club scene started underground, and all his efforts will take that scene back underground. if you look at things, from a financial perspective. eliminating nite clubs, will also reduce revenue coming into to the city of new york. it’s interesting, that among the other immediate issues facing the city. welfare reform, affordable housing, growing unemployment, etc. the mayor has decided, wiping out nite clubs is major a priority..

peace, sobeton

------------------

sobeton.jpg

[This message has been edited by sobeton (edited 07-16-2001).]

It's all part of a natural cycle that brings balance to the scene... The return of a major venue like Twilo will have to start building up from the underground, making it fun and 'REAL'... In its latter days, Twilo was better than ever, but also as popular as TRL!!! I guess u can't have it both ways... We'll just keep on riding the curve, and wait for that upward slope that will bring NYC clublife back to the top... Meanwhile, we can walk around and enjoy other options, or even hang out down in Miami for a change...

see u guys around!

cwm7.gifcwm20.gif

------------------

Peace, Love & Twilo for Everyone!!!

Equaliser-01.gifSpeaker-02.gif

s_shot%202.jpgsaloop2.gifs_shot8.jpg

Guest crystalmethodny

Just to clarify:

LL and Tunnel were not a wannabe Twilo.

Just two clubs that went the way of the poo poo...

But take it from this NYer, Limelight WAS at one point, the best in NYC with the most ridiculous and debaucherous parties.

Now I only stop by there to hang out and talk to the staff. LOL

I think I have to move down to Miami soon, anyone hiring?

------------------

"Can you feel it?"

"In the hall, in the bathroom, in the basement, in the coatcheck... and even up the block, oops!"

"We're going to build things up slowly... are you with me? Here we go."

CrystalMethodNYC@aol.com

www.extremegroove.com

www.urbanpromos.com

exactly!

LL had wicked parties back in the day.

and b/4 there was twilo, the ORIGINAL SF and USA were considered amazing clubs too. and so on...

wow, there seems to be a lot of music experts these days. giving away degree's, egh?

btw meth> i'll hire you! im working on expanding club 306B. say hi to the lil one for me smile.gif

[This message has been edited by staceyg5 (edited 07-18-2001).]

Im sorry cooljunkie i just wanted to post something that i read in your website. Nolimit why do u hate me when u never met me.I know one reason (jelously) I know people that met u in person think your a dork.

George, ur a character, how do ya do it? cwm1.gif

------------------

Peace,

DIGITAL 7

Respect the Floori.d.a. scene

-------------------------

I've said it before and I'll say it again .. life move's pretty fast, you don't stop and look around once in awhile ... you could miss it

-------------------------

AIM: digit960

Archived