Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Question about matching amp to subs

Hey i just graduated college and figured i'd upgrade my system with the money i got. I already bought 2 pioneer 12 inch 450watt subs with a box. Im just wondering what kind of amp would go well with these subs. I dont want to underpower or overpower them cuz i heard they blow out easier that way. I drive a hatchback so do i really need a dual bandpass box? Will the sound suffer or will the subs be easier to blow out that way? I have a regular box, but i got it for one cent with the deal i got from circuit city. I'm sure i can probably exchange it without a receipt and then get the dual bandpass.. im just wondering if it's worth the hassle. Thanks for all the info in advance..

Originally posted by oldtimer

Hey i just graduated college and figured i'd upgrade my system with the money i got. I already bought 2 pioneer 12 inch 450watt subs with a box. Im just wondering what kind of amp would go well with these subs. I dont want to underpower or overpower them cuz i heard they blow out easier that way. I drive a hatchback so do i really need a dual bandpass box? Will the sound suffer or will the subs be easier to blow out that way? I have a regular box, but i got it for one cent with the deal i got from circuit city. I'm sure i can probably exchange it without a receipt and then get the dual bandpass.. im just wondering if it's worth the hassle. Thanks for all the info in advance..

Check out the specs on the subs. See what purpose they are designed for. Some subs are better suited for free-air, ported, sealed or bandpass boxes. You gotta know what you bought. Then check the power rating on them. And check RMS (RMS is typically 1/2 of Peak power) power, not peak, then go shop for an amp that will power them sufficiently.

I'm guessing it's these:

4184.jpg

The Max power is 450 Watts but the RMS is 150.

So you need a 300 Watt RMS amp.

I would suggest a PPI PCX-280. It is 160x2 @ 2 OHM. Their power is extremely clean.

You can get one on eBay for around $200.00.

pcx280.jpg

I've had Pioneer subs in the past and they don't hit that hard. Personally, I'd get some better subs and a stronger PPI amp.

Let me know what you decide to do.

Yeah those are the exact subs i have. My friend has them with a sony 760w amp. I like the way it hits. Im not looking to win competitions really.. i just want something that hits. I'll check that amp out though. What kind of subs would you recommend? and also.. what kind of wiring kits would you recommend? One friend said rockford fosgate another said radio shack . radio shack isn't an option but i wanna know if it's worth spending the extra loot on a superior wiring kit? thanks

dan

I have Soundstream SPL12s hooked up to a PPI A600 Designer series Amp and they sound really good. My subs are kinda old and worn out so I'm probably gonna replace them soon. I'm thinking about going with Kicker Comp VRs. You can get 2 on eBay for around $150 + shipping.