Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Iraq execution tapes on sale...

Video tapes showing people being tortured and executed by Saddam Hussein's regime are being bought on the streets of Baghdad by Iraqis anxious to trace missing relatives.

Saddam Hussein's regime filmed executions

Most of the tapes are from the Shia Muslim insurgency that erupted after the first President George Bush urged Iraqis to overthrow the former Iraqi leader in the wake of the 1991 Gulf War.

Many of the executions took place in Najaf and Karbala in southern Iraq.

Some of the tapes show a man who appears to be Lieutenant General Ali Hassan al-Majid, a cousin of Saddam Hussein, better known as "Chemical Ali", killing people.

A BBC correspondent who has seen some of the recordings says they are evidence of the atrocities of the former regime.

Suffering under Saddam

One vendor said Iraqis buying the tapes want to see for themselves what happened.

Some young people like sensational things, whether they are positive or negative

Abd al-Muhsin al-Khayat, psychologist

"This is normal. People have suffered a lot of tragedies from Saddam Hussein. I don't know whether people believe these things or not. I don't know," the vendor told the BBC Arabic service.

Psychologist Abd al-Muhsin al-Khayat said people might also want to buy the tapes out of morbid curiosity.

"There are many possible explanations," he said. "They might have a missing or a person who was executed, so they try to identify him through the tapes.

"The other explanation is that some young people like sensational things, whether they are positive or negative."

Last month, human rights workers in Iraq said they found a number of mass graves containing the bodies of up to 100 civilians killed during the 1991 uprising.

I can't wait to see the video tapes on how the US clusterbombed civilains in populated areas and in the neighborhoods of Baghdad and I can't wait to the video tapes on how the US beat and tortured Iraqi POWs by beating them with bags tied to their heads and how they yanked out their fucking teeth.