Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Is it so hard to get a radio station...

Originally posted by rdancer

like Radio 1 which is in Miami Florida, for the New york Area ?

Radio 1 is not in Miami. There is a Station in miami that simulcasts Pete Tong's show and a few mix shows but thats it.

As for NY getting a Dance Music station consider it unlikely. Although with KTU's new programming dept. expect things that are very un-KTU coming soon. They are already programming Juniorverse so let's see whats next. With this you have to be patient, if they do a complete 180 too fast they will loose there loyal listeners and there goes all hope for that. So you have to give it a few months.

Its pretty hard to take a station that makes money and just flip it to Dance music which is pretty much uncharterd waters for most media companies!

I host a syndicated radio show which is on about 8 stations throughout the country and it's hard to sell. But eventually NY will turn around but it's all a waiting game.

Which station in Miami simulcasts the Essential Selection and why the hell doesnt NY have that...im dying to turn on the radio and here "Welcome to the weekend"....i listen every week from 1-4 on the net but its torture cause i always have to be near a computer...as for KTU changing i hope that happens as well....someone said that they were changing a few months ago and ive noticed no difference yet...personally i think Junior Vazquez sucks too...plays wayyyyyyyyy to much vocal crap

i believe the NYU radio station broadcasts the essential mix. new york has the WORST radio of anywhere - spectrum is sooooo expensive and this is such a lucrative market that nobody can push the boundaries and excpect to be financially viable, you can only go with the proven formula. this is exacerbated by the fact that clear channel owns most of the radio in nyc.

very few real dance music stations in the us - the whole ethos goes against everything american marketing stands for - short catchy snippets played over and over again so they're drilled in your head and you're hooked - superstars you can fantasize about, etc. radio in the usa is one of the shadiest and most despicable businesses - aside from pitching up songs by as much as 6% so they can play more commercials per hour, every song you hear on the radio is bought and paid for by the record labels. this process is not done directly, as it would be illegal, but is an old-skool triple trade (think back to when we were just 13 colonies of king george iii) where the record companies pay "independent marketers" to help get a song on the radio. the indies funnel most of the money directly to the radio stations, aside from what they skim off the top for themselves. congress was working on making this illegal - but they've got more important things to do right about now :P

in dance music, the individual tracks matter a whole lot less then their spot in the dj set. a good deal of dance music is made by anonymous kids and their computers - not ripe for marketing as a celebrity. we have this concept of celebrity, but its not so much a superstardom, whereby people will say "i want to follow tiesto and learn every little thing about him" - its more like a trust thing - we pay $40 for a night with tiesto because we are entrusting our night in his hands. its like the way you would pay abercrombie 4x what you would pay for the same t-shirt elsewhere because of that trust. this would mean that radio stations and record labels can't hypnotize all the feeble-minded americans in that huxlean way they do now (by repeating a song over and over again until people like it) but they'd have to win listeners because the music is good.... strange concept, i know, but that's the only way dance will ever play when there is a limited spectrum.

there is just way too much dance music and it gets very old very quickly, so with rare exception turnover is really great. grassroots organizations and labels do not have the $$$$ for payola to mainstream radio stations. and where do you put the commercials? right in the middle of a dj set, eh?

if i ran a radio station in nyc, there would be no guido cheese like there is on KTU - why the fuck are they still playing "stranger in my house"????? every day we'd have ambient, house and dnb for people to listen to while they work or recover from hangovers. every night we would broadcast from one of the local parties in nyc - and have the djs who are coming in from out of town do spots and interviews before they hit the gig - promotion for them and for the club as well as to my radio station's benefit. bring back the studio!!!!! anyone with a name like "goomba johnny" will be banned not only from being on my radio station but coming within 1000 feet of the studio.

but in all it comes down to the fact that there are only so many radio stations that can exist in a particular market because of the limited broadcast spectrum. and with vile bastards like clear channel buying up every radio station they can find and gentrifying it to fit their right-wing standards - that's right clear channel is a MAJOR donor to the republican party. radio is unidirectional - a one to many relationship where the many have their environment controlled by the one. whoever controls the information has the power. the only way to remain free is to tear down radio as we know it and bring in others - satellite radio, or wireless broadband from thousands of broadcasters from around the world with the ease of turning a knob in your car. otherwise we will just be slaves to clear channel.