Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Way way way OT

kaydup

You can't hurt something that isn't there. IMO, the scene died 2 or 3 years ago, and I don't think it will be back for another 1-3 years. People don't go out to have fun anymore, they go out to either get fucked up, or to hook up. There are very few people out there that give a shit about the scene, and their too busy getting fucked over by promoters and club owners to make a difference. I say let hip hop get huge. The faster it comes and takes over, the faster it fades away, and then the people who actually gave a shit will come out from under a rock to take the reigns of nightlife again. Unfortunately, the next time house get's big, it's going to be huge, and I'm afraid there will be another public backlash like there was with disco at the end of it's popularity.

first off i think house (in it's current form, or any 'untz untz' music as people like to call it) will ever get big in the u.s. precisely because of disco...

Originally posted by unclefester401

People don't go out to have fun anymore, they go out to either get fucked up, or to hook up.

i agree with the first part, but isn't the second part the whole point of going out in the first place? maybe i'm way off base...at sq1 we have a hardcore following of 200 who go out to have a few drinks and appreciate the music...what we want is an extra few to come down, dance, have a blast and try to hook up...

my main problem with msg boards is it takes a lot of the mystery out of going out. everyone knows every little thing about every night in the city, and exactly how every night went down. normally you'd think it would help with this new medium to have increased interaction and communication, but people have more preconcieved ideas and opinions about nights before thay go themselves. again, maybe i'm way off base but just my thoughts atm.

Originally posted by unclefester401

You can't hurt something that isn't there. IMO, the scene died 2 or 3 years ago, and I don't think it will be back for another 1-3

People will always say the 'scene' is dead. At any point from 1980 to now if you asked 100 people how the scene was, at least 50 of them would say it's dead. I think people need to stop worrying about the scene and just shut up, go out and have fun. That's what it's all about anyway.

. I say let hip hop get huge. The faster it comes and takes over, the faster it fades away

Well said man! I get annoyed when I am forced to listen to JAM'N 94.5-style hip hop when I'm out, but ya know what... it would be 100 times worse if they were playing house. I can't stand the meathead/bimbo crowd, and if they start getting into house, then it'll make the parties that I like to go to AWFUL. If my favorite DJs became popular with the mainstream crowd, going to hear them out would be nearly impossible (imagine if a Danny Howells show was like a PVD one... I wouldn't be able to tolerate it, and it would really piss me off).

As for messageboards, I think they help things out immensley. I'd be way more naive music-wise if they didn't exist, they've opened me up to a lot of new music. But hey, that's just me.

Originally posted by djresident

my main problem with msg boards is it takes a lot of the mystery out of going out. everyone knows every little thing about every night in the city, and exactly how every night went down. normally you'd think it would help with this new medium to have increased interaction and communication, but people have more preconcieved ideas and opinions about nights before thay go themselves. again, maybe i'm way off base but just my thoughts atm.

This is exactly what I meant. I think that has hurt so many nights that could have been great if it was just passed by a flyer or word of mouth