Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Hulk Hogan Leaves WWE

Hulk Hogan, as we reported earlier today at PWTorch.com, has parted ways with WWE. The decision was made, relatively mutually, last week during a phone conversation Hogan initiated with Vince McMahon a couple days after the Smackdown tapings.

Hogan was concerned with how he was being used creatively. The feeling was that he wasn't at the stage of his career where he could be utilized effectively as just another face appearing every week. He felt that in order to be an effective draw, his appearances on TV needed to be treated as a big deal, not as the third rung of a three-man team in a TV main event.

His frustration boiled over last Tuesday at the Smackdown tapings at Madison Square Garden. When the crowd chanted "Hogan, Hogan," he felt that Brock Lesnar and Kurt Angle should have responded to that by playing into the chants and tagging him in. Instead, Angle and Lesnar followed the script of the match rather than improvise, which is standard practice for TV tapings.

It didn't help that Smackdown, headlined by the six-man tag with Hogan, drew the smallest WWE crowd at MSG in over six years, under 9,000 paid (and thousands less than Raw the night before). Hogan doesn't like being associated with a product that losing to another, and being in the main event of a Smackdown taping that drew so much less than Raw the night before was instrumental in his emotions last week.

Of course, money is always a factor in these situation, even though "creative differences" sounds more noble. While Hogan's feelings about being misused are genuine, it could be soothed over quickly if he felt he was "being appreciated fully financially." There are already rumblings that Hogan may try to get the XWF going again, which could be Hogan genuinely wanting to try to be part of a start-up group to compete with WWE, or it could be an attempt at a leverage move to scare Vince into giving Hogan what he wants creatively and financially. Remember, the XWF used Sable, Curt Hennig, Hulk Hogan, and several other lesser names who all ended up getting hired by WWE. With Hennig, it was clearly an attempt by WWE to flex some muscles and take away a major headliner from the upstart XWF at the time, which shows Vince is conscientious of any start-up group threatening his market share, no matter how small they are at the time.

Last Tuesday at MSG, Hogan unmasked for the crowd after the cameras stopped rolling and played into the cheers. That was his way of perhaps saying "good bye" to the crowd in person rather than under the mask.

Originally posted by thesandman

Hulk Hogan, as we reported earlier today at PWTorch.com, has parted ways with WWE. The decision was made, relatively mutually, last week during a phone conversation Hogan initiated with Vince McMahon a couple days after the Smackdown tapings.

Hogan was concerned with how he was being used creatively. The feeling was that he wasn't at the stage of his career where he could be utilized effectively as just another face appearing every week. He felt that in order to be an effective draw, his appearances on TV needed to be treated as a big deal, not as the third rung of a three-man team in a TV main event.

His frustration boiled over last Tuesday at the Smackdown tapings at Madison Square Garden. When the crowd chanted "Hogan, Hogan," he felt that Brock Lesnar and Kurt Angle should have responded to that by playing into the chants and tagging him in. Instead, Angle and Lesnar followed the script of the match rather than improvise, which is standard practice for TV tapings.

It didn't help that Smackdown, headlined by the six-man tag with Hogan, drew the smallest WWE crowd at MSG in over six years, under 9,000 paid (and thousands less than Raw the night before). Hogan doesn't like being associated with a product that losing to another, and being in the main event of a Smackdown taping that drew so much less than Raw the night before was instrumental in his emotions last week.

Of course, money is always a factor in these situation, even though "creative differences" sounds more noble. While Hogan's feelings about being misused are genuine, it could be soothed over quickly if he felt he was "being appreciated fully financially." There are already rumblings that Hogan may try to get the XWF going again, which could be Hogan genuinely wanting to try to be part of a start-up group to compete with WWE, or it could be an attempt at a leverage move to scare Vince into giving Hogan what he wants creatively and financially. Remember, the XWF used Sable, Curt Hennig, Hulk Hogan, and several other lesser names who all ended up getting hired by WWE. With Hennig, it was clearly an attempt by WWE to flex some muscles and take away a major headliner from the upstart XWF at the time, which shows Vince is conscientious of any start-up group threatening his market share, no matter how small they are at the time.

Last Tuesday at MSG, Hogan unmasked for the crowd after the cameras stopped rolling and played into the cheers. That was his way of perhaps saying "good bye" to the crowd in person rather than under the mask.

i can sleep now knowing this

Originally posted by amercali

fuck hogan, he always retires and comes back. he needs all the attention

I agree, he always bails out when business is down too so he can't be blamed for it. He can't keep up w/ any of the top wrestlers today anyway...

He will be good in small doses though...

thanks for the indepth article ball Bag.

Hogan sucks.....

In order to be the man, you have to beat the man and Ric Flair has been the man his whole life

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

*strutting*

Woooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now hit my music........

Originally posted by unclebuc

thanks for the indepth article ball Bag.

Hogan sucks.....

In order to be the man, you have to beat the man and Ric Flair has been the man his whole life

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

*strutting*

Woooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now hit my music........

now maybe u should rewatch wrestling for the past 30 years and take notice how hogan and mcmahon r the reason for wrestling being where it is today...flair was in the wcw which most ppl didnt know or care about and hogan was kicking ass in the real wrestling events in wwf...hogan is still the most recognizable player in the game today and still by the sound of it the most loved...

Originally posted by fkornre

now maybe u should rewatch wrestling for the past 30 years and take notice how hogan and mcmahon r the reason for wrestling being where it is today...flair was in the wcw which most ppl didnt know or care about and hogan was kicking ass in the real wrestling events in wwf...hogan is still the most recognizable player in the game today and still by the sound of it the most loved...

hogan cant take a bump

Originally posted by dancerbar

hogan cant take a bump

i didnt say he is a fabulous wrestler...but as an entertainer and a fan favorite he is king...back in the day he had his moves and i agree he cant keep up with the younger talent but there is no denying his greatness and his ability to make the younger talent perform well as in the Rocky vs Hogan I which was a great match...hogan got the greatest crowd participation i have ever heard...they went nutz for him and it made the rock step up his game to beat him and for the rock to "accept the torch" passed by hogan

Originally posted by fkornre

i didnt say he is a fabulous wrestler...but as an entertainer and a fan favorite he is king...back in the day he had his moves and i agree he cant keep up with the younger talent but there is no denying his greatness and his ability to make the younger talent perform well as in the Rocky vs Hogan I which was a great match...hogan got the greatest crowd participation i have ever heard...they went nutz for him and it made the rock step up his game to beat him and for the rock to "accept the torch" passed by hogan

well said and i can see you know a thing or 2, i just feel after the invasion thing and passing the torch to rocky that he should have been used mimimal in the ring, more as a TV guy, like Austin is now

Originally posted by dancerbar

well said and i can see you know a thing or 2, i just feel after the invasion thing and passing the torch to rocky that he should have been used mimimal in the ring, more as a TV guy, like Austin is now

def agree wit cha on that one...althought i did luv it when he came out mr america with his old theme song " i am a real american" i start singing and everything when that song hits...reminds me of the good old days of wwf