Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Back to The Edge! Friday night July 25th

meng

Originally posted by drewbongiorno

I am personally offended by this party! Exactly what does this have to do with "The Edge"? I hate to compare "The Edge" to other venues, especially ones with bigger reputations, but... The is like doing a "Sound Factory" party without Junior Vasquez.

No Bruce Wilcox? No Mike Sharpe? No Daydreamin'? No Ken Coleman? No Thomas Penton (AKA - DJ PEZ)? These were the residence. The most well know of the local DJs who can call themselves residence. All of these people still DJ (yes even Bruce) and some of them even have decent careers. I don't know what you guys are thinking'! Did you even think to ask?

You guys have no business doing this party and attaching "The Edge" name to it in any way!!!!

There are so many people (myself included) who were part of this chapter in South Florida nightlife and whom you have conveniently left out. Bruce Wilcox, Jason Moore, and Myself were the promoters of that party. We started it, we built it from nothing to record breaking numbers, and when it started to die down we were out. Mike Sharpe took over from that point and breathed 2 more years into it's life span.

I know you could have contacted Bruce, Mike, or myself about coordinating this party and giving it the credibility needed to truly call it an Edge event, but our phones never rang. I have NO PMs in my box! You know my roommate so you must know how to get hold of me, and everyone knows where Bruce works.

THIS IS WEAK!

Drew Bongiorno

:eek: :eek: :eek:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by drewbongiorno

I am personally offended by this party! Exactly what does this have to do with "The Edge"? I hate to compare "The Edge" to other venues, especially ones with bigger reputations, but... The is like doing a "Sound Factory" party without Junior Vasquez.

No Bruce Wilcox? No Mike Sharpe? No Daydreamin'? No Ken Coleman? No Thomas Penton (AKA - DJ PEZ)? These were the residence. The most well know of the local DJs who can call themselves residence. All of these people still DJ (yes even Bruce) and some of them even have decent careers. I don't know what you guys are thinking'! Did you even think to ask?

You guys have no business doing this party and attaching "The Edge" name to it in any way!!!!

There are so many people (myself included) who were part of this chapter in South Florida nightlife and whom you have conveniently left out. Bruce Wilcox, Jason Moore, and Myself were the promoters of that party. We started it, we built it from nothing to record breaking numbers, and when it started to die down we were out. Mike Sharpe took over from that point and breathed 2 more years into it's life span.

I know you could have contacted Bruce, Mike, or myself about coordinating this party and giving it the credibility needed to truly call it an Edge event, but our phones never rang. I have NO PMs in my box! You know my roommate so you must know how to get hold of me, and everyone knows where Bruce works.

THIS IS WEAK!

Drew Bongiorno

douche bag :balls:

Originally posted by meng

you're getting upset because Mike Sharpe and/or Bruce Wilcox aren't spinning?...so what?.....as if The Edge never had Monk or Rabbit in the Moon come down to the Edge and rock the place.....please....

So What? What makes this an "Edge" event? Because it's in the same building? Next you'll be having a club "Ahzz" reunion without Kimball Collins, Stace Bass, or Dave Cannalte.

I'm sorry to say that while "Rabbit and the Moon" have played many an "Edge" party they certainly do not represent the work that any of us did. Dj Icey was the head DJ and I was the head production coordinator over all three clubs (Ft. Lauderdale, Orlando, and Jacksonville). At no time were any of the people representing this party employed by "The Edge".

THIS IS NOT AN EDGE EVENT!

You wanna have a "Rabbit in the Moon" Party? Cool! You wanna have a party at the "Chili Pepper"? Cool! You wanna call it an "Edge" party? NOT COOL!

It seems pathetic to me that you guys feel that you need to steal something in order to be successful, as if the line-up wasn't enough to get people out you have to try to cash in on someone else's bank account.

Here is an example....

I think I will become a painter/an artist..... I think I will change my name to "Andy Warhol". What do you think? You think people will buy my paintings?

As for taking it up with Hallucination? Thanks that's a good idea. I was under the impression that I was addressing myself to a representative. It appears as though you represent nothing. For as much rallying as you do for Hallucination and for as much as you say they are "your boys"/"your friends" you sure do pass the buck when a little responsibility gets thrown your way. Is this a representation of who you are as a person? When you were a kid and your mom asked you to clean your room.... Did you say "It's not my house"? ;)

I wasn't around when this club existed. I was festering in New York State waiting for my parole hearing to come up so I could get out of town...

But from what I've been told by various parties, Drew, Bruce, and Mike were the prime movers behind the place. You say "The Edge", someone would invariably mention one or all three of them...no one would mention Hallucination...

I'm sure Hallucination did some wonderful parties there, but the core of the place was undoubtedly Drew, Bruce, and Mike...to compare it to a contemporary example, it'd be like someone throwing a Shadow Lounge party in Menage, and not bothering to involve George Acosta, Dade Sokoloff, or Drew again. It'd be like having a Shadow Lounge reunion with only Talla 2XLC playing...sure he was a guest a lot, but it's not a proper reunion without the residents and the prime movers.

Needless to say, it sounds like something bad is afoot with this whole thing. It shoulda been marketed as a Hallucination party at Venu only, not dragging out a name from the mists of club antiquity just for marketing.

I don't work for Hallucination, Drew. What gave you the impression that I was a "representative"?....my sig?....

I'm not going to continue this discussion with you. You're barking up the wrong tree here..you might as well bitch at each of the other dj's spinning at this event.

You wanna have a "Rabbit in the Moon" Party? Cool! You wanna have a party at the "Chili Pepper"? Cool! You wanna call it an "Edge" party? NOT COOL!

Well just to get the facts straight on this.....the name of the party is "Beyond The Edge @ Club Venu"....and again you're talking to me as if I was throwing this party....I'm just spinning at it...

Bravo to you Meng for contacting the promoter about this! Me calling Hallucination as far as I can tell would have been a bad idea because they are not the promoters of this event. I am glad because I could not get my head around the idea that Steve, Dave or Bunny would come up with an idea as deceptive as this.

Thank you for contacting the promoter! I was at Grooveman with Bruce when he received the call. It cushioned the blow a little that they are at least following up their mistake. It does not change the fact that as far as I am concerned (and I do believe I speak for all of us) that the only way they can make this right or make this a "true" "Edge" event is to either retract any reference to Old School "Edge", over the "Edge" or Whatever and/or get some (if not all) of us involved in this party and any future "Edge" related events.

It's a tricky situation. I am the first to admit that none of us own the rights to the name "The Edge". None of us would have a lawsuit to stand on if we wanted to fight this. That being said... It does not give anyone the right to take advantage of that fact. What is right is right.

It's like if I changed my name to DJ Sasha. Yeah obviously I'm not him, I don't even play the same style of music, but my intensions as a DJ are the same so it's OK right? NOT!

It is deceptive and could tarnish his reputation as a performer.

If anybody should reap any benefit from milking the name "The Edge" it should be one of us. BTW - Notice that none of us are doing it. It would be fun to put the baseball cap on again and spin "New Jack", but it wouldn't be the same. It is a fond and wonderful memory and I think none of us want to see that memory spoiled. I don't care how good the entertainment is or how good the promoter is. This party will only serve to diminish that memory even if it is successful.

You may disagree, but this is how I feel. I'm sorry if you feel it spoils your fun, but those years of my life can not be traded for anything. They are mine just like they are Bruce's, Jason's, Mike's, Thomas's, Tommy's, and Kenny's. Anyone trying to recreate those moments is stealing something from us. Kinda like stealing our childhood, and I will do whatever I have to do to protect them.

Hope you can understand!

Hope somebody makes this right!

I am ready to admit that I have a little jading from being in this business so many years, but this is one of the lowest things I have ever been witness to.

I'll say it again... I hope somebody makes this right!

Man!!!! And I thought Tiesto at Space was where this UNDERGROUND THING all started!!!

Drew... you never worked at that EDGE place!!! (hehehe)

:laugh:

I remember driving to See Andy Hughes at Marz in Cocoa Beach and Kimball at Aahzz in Orlando before there was even an edge.

"Can't We All Just Get Along?"

Originally posted by vaughanz

Man!!!! And I thought Tiesto at Space was where this UNDERGROUND THING all started!!!

Drew... you never worked at that EDGE place!!! (hehehe)

:laugh:

I remember driving to See Andy Hughes at Marz in Cocoa Beach and Kimball at Aahzz in Orlando before there was even an edge.

"Can't We All Just Get Along?"

:laugh: :laugh:

Drew, I understand your stance on this but try putting yourself in the shoes of all the people that used to attend the Edge (not just the emplyees and residents).

It wasn't just you guys that madge the Edge. It was also about the thousands of people that used to go there because it truly was a one and only party. There has been nothing like The Edge after it shut its doors years ago so an event like this with Monk, Jackal and Hyde, Merlyn, Wendel and FX and myself all together in that same building is very exciting and is something to look forward to. Whether the name "The Edge" is used in the promotion of this party or not, it really wouldn't matter. I'm sure that if it would have said "...(whatever party with these same acts) @Club Venu", then people would still be excited because of not only the artists participating in it but the fact that it's taking place at this building.....know what I mean?

In any case, we don't need any bad vibes about this. The promoter is in the process of not only contacting you but also Bruce and Mike.

He has some good ideas in mind and I hope we can all work on this to create something positive.