Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Audi A6 4.2

two completely different animals. The Audi is an all wheel drive luxury sedan. The BMW 540i is a rear wheel drive performance sedan. The BMW is much faster, mostly due to that it is available with a manual transmission (the Audi V8 isnt). The Audi 2.7t 6 speed is about as fast as the V8 for a few grand less.

the A6 does have BMW beat on interior room...especially backseat room. A6 4.2 is cheaper as well.

test drive them both first.

long term durabilty ratings on BMW are slightly higher. Initial quality results and complaints are similar, as are resale values.

checkout the audi S4...

whatever you do, don't buy a 2000... and if you buy a 2001 make sure it has the immobilizer (all the 2002+ have it)... the salesman told me flat out, those cars are one of the most stolen, and he even showed me that the one he had on the lot had a scratched up keyhole from someone trying to jack it... (it was a 2000)

i test drove it and it had some nice power (2.7t that nils is talking about) probably a decent competitor for the 540i, though i've never driven that...

i hate stock sound systems... if you have the money for a car like this, and you care about sound quality, get an aftermarket system... bose is crap... and most others are aswell...

what do the 540i and the s4 go for new?

whats the m3 go for? you may want to give that a spin while you're at it, just for shits and giggles...

wow, cool..thanx guys. I own a 540i right now(6 speed) but my warranty is about to expire soon so im loooking around. My bro was test driving the is300 today, and they had the a6 4.2 there which kinda caught my attention.

Imo too many cats own the s4 around here. Id go with the m3 if i was in the market for a smaller car.

I wont get anything smaller then the 540 or the a6, most likely getting into the 2001 740i(sport) as i dont like the 2002+ body style.

What else is out there? How about the S8?? Not too many of those around..

I think the GS430 is nice, but i dont like the soft ride it has..Any other opinions??

I cant get anything smaller then that as i need to drive my clients around...

everyone in this town owns an a4 or a bmw 3 series... its so depressing... i'd love to see a nicely done s4 in this town...

I saw an S8 on the lot... its just a big luxury car... it didn't seem "sporty" or anything... but i didn't drive it...

what about mercedes? what do they have out in that class?

try a mercedes E430 sport or the new Infiniti M45 (0-60 in under 6 seconds)

the S8 is actually a nice ride. it has a 360hp V8. test drive it if you can find one.

01.audi.s8.f34.500.jpg

you can also try a Volvo S80 T6....but coming from a 540 6 speed it will probably be disappointing.

Do you like wagons at all? If so, try a used Audi S6 Avant (it isnt available in sedan form). it has the same engine as the S8, but at 340hp.

02.audi.s6avant.f34.500.jpg

try a used Jaguar XJR. you cant go wrong with a supercharged V8. the new S-type R aint too shabby either.

I had clk430 which i wasnt impressed with. I like the older models of the e55amg. Othere then that im not crazy about the benz.

I will most likely stay with the Bmw although ill go and drive the s8 and the supercharged jag. The 740i sport has my $$ so far.

One last ?, what does every1 think about x5 4.6is?

thanx for your opinions guys, its great to hear other ppls opinions cuz there is so many choices..

d

Originally posted by diesel77

ehhh...its expensive (close to $70k fully loaded), and doesnt have much interior room. try a VW Touareg, Acura MDX, Lexus LX470, Infiniti FX45, Nissan Murano, or Volvo XC90 T6 instead.

My boy owns a A6 4.2 which I drove SICK RIDE def has balls to boot. My cousin has a S4 another sick ride but you said too small... The X5 is big and clunky bro I would rather have the new FX45 sick truck which noone has yet...

How about a coupe the new G35 is banging and fast as balls for 40g's GOOD LUCK SHOPING

i don't know where you live, but audi of mendham (nj) has an s8 or 2 on the lot... if you really wanted to give it a try and couldn't find a dealer closer... they can help you out...

i really liked my experience there...

Originally posted by joeg

i don't know where you live, but audi of mendham (nj) has an s8 or 2 on the lot... if you really wanted to give it a try and couldn't find a dealer closer... they can help you out...

i really liked my experience there...

im in chicago bro. Btw, thats a sick TT in your sig, is it yours?

im in chicago bro. Btw, thats a sick TT in your sig, is it yours?

oh, hehe... thats a bit far...

nah, my TT is black aswell, but thats kind of like an inspirational thing... i want mine to look something like that...

i gotta get some pics up of mine soon...

I had clk430 which i wasnt impressed with. I like the older models of the e55amg. Othere then that im not crazy about the benz.

I will most likely stay with the Bmw although ill go and drive the s8 and the supercharged jag. The 740i sport has my $$ so far.

thanx for your opinions guys, its great to hear other ppls opinions cuz there is so many choices..

d

why didnt u like the Clk??

just wondering...

how much are u lookin to spend?

peace

jonathan

Whats PPLs opinion on the car? How does it compare to 540?

both amazing cars, however like nils stated two different types of autos... i was contemplating a while ago getting the a6 2.7t however never did, the 4.2 looks amazing with the flares and is nicely complimented with a v8 however still underpowered and lacks the power the bmw has to offer... my question to you is what is the purpose of the vehicle and what are your plans for either if and when you purchase it???

Originally posted by jonathanny

why didnt u like the Clk??

just wondering...

how much are u lookin to spend?

peace

jonathan

i drove the 540, then decided i wanted a benz. I liked the way the clk looks. As far as driving experience the sport suspension on the 540 makes it handle way better then the clk. 540 is faster and a lot of fun to drive (6speed).

the clk is a nice ride, it looks hot and it drives ok, but im just biased for the beemer.

Im not looking to buy a new ride but a 2 yr old one, so the price range is $30's- $50k.

Originally posted by dgmodel

both amazing cars, however like nils stated two different types of autos... i was contemplating a while ago getting the a6 2.7t however never did, the 4.2 looks amazing with the flares and is nicely complimented with a v8 however still underpowered and lacks the power the bmw has to offer... my question to you is what is the purpose of the vehicle and what are your plans for either if and when you purchase it???

use the car for driving my clients around mostly(real estate) therefore im looking for a bigger sedan. Im 26 yrs old so im looking at a sporty one.. the 2001 740i sport has my $ so far, imo a nice upgrade from the 540 i have now..

i drove the 540, then decided i wanted a benz. I liked the way the clk looks. As far as driving experience the sport suspension on the 540 makes it handle way better then the clk. 540 is faster and a lot of fun to drive (6speed).

the clk is a nice ride, it looks hot and it drives ok, but im just biased for the beemer.

Im not looking to buy a new ride but a 2 yr old one, so the price range is $30's- $50k.

i know the GS 430 isnt as fast, but overall a beautiful car, have u considered it.....

personally i think u should get the E 55, i think u can get it in that price range...

peace

jonathan

go to edmunds.com used car section. you can search listings (for your zip code), average selling prices (more accurate than kellys blue book), reviews, specifications, and JD power ratings for different categories and prices or by make and model.

according to this, you can get a 2000 Mercedes S Class (using my zip)

use the car for driving my clients around mostly(real estate) therefore im looking for a bigger sedan. Im 26 yrs old so im looking at a sporty one.. the 2001 740i sport has my $ so far, imo a nice upgrade from the 540 i have now..

in that case id go for the BMW, plus if you file 1099 or k1 youll be able to write it off, so go for the more $$$ one...