Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Warm-up DJing ... An Art ... and Respect ...

vipnerd

This might sound as a tribute to Roly ... indeed it should ... :clap:

What a great opening set for Sander last week ... I've heard his opening set for Howell's was on spot as well ... :aright:

Last week some peeps were congratulating Markus' opening for Tiesto ... different styles of music with Roly's and Sander's ...

There are very ... but very few local DJs that can open up for the healiner at a club ... Jon Cowan has been doing it for a long time ... Austin Leeds certainly ranks up there for me ... Chris and Mono have that taste and that elegance as well ... Juan Mejia is class as well ...

I've liked Oscar G's opening for DT and others ...

I could have :blown: Ivano while at Spin ... clueless IMHO ...

And this is not about them being the resident Djs ... or any of that BS ... it is about KNOWING how to warm-up ... how to work a crowd that is coming to see the main headliner of the nite ...

Opening should take you from zero ... to where the headliner normally starts his sets ... both in energy and in bpms ... it doesn't have to be boring ... that is a misinterpretation of reality ... indeed the art is in moving the crowd in the direction of the nite ... the direction the main DJ will take ... and that demands "studying" who you are opening for ...

An opening set is even more difficult than the main act when the nite will let you bang the crowd ...

Props to our locals ... that understand the "art of warming-up" ...

This issue has been discussed lightly on this board in the past ... what do we think? ... discussion educates ...

This is a nice thread on this same topic ... http://pub129.ezboard.com/fglobalundergroundfrm25.showMessage?topicID=16502.topic ... strongly suggested reading :hat:

not that many djs period know how to open up a room and hand it over to the headliner. it's that pre-ejaculation notion that they just HAVE to bang it out instead of just having a little more patience and self control.

sorry but opening up a room is just as important as headlining.

Originally posted by diegonyc

not that many djs period know how to open up a room and hand it over to the headliner. it's that pre-ejaculation notion that they just HAVE to bang it out instead of just having a little more patience and self control.

sorry but opening up a room is just as important as headlining.

I know what you mean Diego ... in the past year I recall a few great opening sets ...

Zabiela for Sasha for the Airdrawndagger Tour at Crobar for a Back Door Bambi ...

Josh Wink for Eric Morillo at Back Door Bambi again (Crobar)

Roland for Sander this past Saturday ...

Zabiela for Sasha & Digweed at Space 34 WMC ...

Oscar G for Tenaglia - Be Yourself - at the old Space this January ...

Austin Leeds opening for Jody at Lola - Big DJ Little Club ...

There have been many other good warm-up sets ... the above were on top of their game ... perfect ... setting the tempo for memorable nites of quality music ... :hat: