Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Credit Reports

There are all sorts of sites offering free credit reports. Are any of them trustworthy? Also, I've heard that checking your credit actually reflects poorly on your credit history as it may be construed as a failed attempt to get a loan or something. Any truth to this?

Originally posted by a_jenkins

I've heard that checking your credit actually reflects poorly on your credit history as it may be construed as a failed attempt to get a loan or something. Any truth to this?

APPLYING for new credit will affect your FICO score. Merely checking your own credit report won't. If you've been denied credit in the past 60 days, by law you're entitled to get a free credit report from each of the three credit reporting agencies. As far as free credit report sites, I don't know much.

the "free credit report" sites are usually based on you purchasing a "credit monitoring service" of some sort... and once you have signed up and payed for this service, you are entitled to a free credit report.

read the fine print on these sites and you'll see what the real deal is.