Clubplanet Nightlife Community

moo, let me help you with the critics!

kirk rules. I have so much fun sundays at surf.

One thing i think these boards will never realize is that music is for people of all different tastes. One person may think one record is so bad and another might love that record. Sure there are songs that the majority of people can agree is either good or bad, but what this board should realize is that YOUR direct opnion is not the bible. its just another opinion.

when everyone realizes this--we might actually be able to conversate on here about music and the scene without beefing.

imagine (lets all hold hands now and chant):laugh:

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that you should always play your style and not change with the rest of the world.....But that is if you are looking to make a name for yourself playing a particular style of music. Kirk is a great DJ that has made a name for himself in a particular style as well....That is...Get your ass on the dance floor style....He isn't out trying to impress the music critics, he is out making the other 99 percent of the people have fun. If Kirk wanted to stick to a particular style, he would put plenty of other DJ's on the unemployment line. His skills surpass most DJ's period. He is a DJ without an ego and I think most DJs should want to get to that level. I wish I was at that level. When Kirk plays everyone has fun. My goal is to make it playing my style of music and not switching to anything else...I play progressive, groove house and tribal. I want to stick to that and become respected playing just that. Kirk is at another level.....He plays for everyone and doesn't need respect from critics...The non ignorant critics know that Kirk is simply a great DJ.

With that said, there are plenty of djs in Jersey pleasing their crowds without dropping hip-hip or any other genre outside of their normal sets.

Qwest.

Originally posted by BRIAN1500

A DJ's job is to please the crowd, especially NJ.

Originally posted by djqwest

With that said, there are plenty of djs in Jersey pleasing their crowds without dropping hip-hip or any other genre outside of their normal sets.

Qwest.

Correct....And kirk is pleasing his crowd playing the 2 or 3 hip hop tracks in between.....Realize...It is his style...>Get your ass on the dance floor style.

Qwest.

I can honestly say the last time I was at Surf early on A sunday there was really no one on the dance floor when Kirk was playing "house" music, as soon as he put on some hip hop, the dance floor got packed right away. Thats what they wanted and thats what he played.

Originally posted by BRIAN1500

I can honestly say the last time I was at Surf early on A sunday there was really no one on the dance floor when Kirk was playing "house" music, as soon as he put on some hip hop, the dance floor got packed right away. Thats what they wanted and thats what he played.

And when the house comes back on......They love it that much better.....

I personally don't need to "realize" anything. I've heard Kirk at Hunka bunka for instance... I can't recall hearing him drop any hip-hop during his sets while I was there. So, if I was at Surf club coming to here him as I did at Hunka Bunka and I heard him drop hip-hop... I'd be abit taken back by that.

Qwest.

Originally posted by themoo

Correct....And kirk is pleasing his crowd playing the 2 or 3 hip hop tracks in between.....Realize...It is his style...>Get your ass on the dance floor style.

Originally posted by kirklop

marko, your too funny! wakeup and christian, nothing personal, just debating with you.......i just find today's club music blah and a ton of other people feel that way........a lot of it sounds like filler music.....you guys are music lovers so you have always look for the newest shit and you probably get bored of stuff that's 2 weeks old.......as far as record shopping i go every other week due to the fact i work day and night and can't always get to the city......i was a member of "for the record" record pool (NYC) for many years up til about 3 years ago......i was in record pools for over 15 years and mailing lists still to this day.....so when i say today's music as far as dance is concerned is not up to par, i think i know what i'm talking about due to the fact i have rated music for record labels for 15 years......if dance music so great, why is rap taking over? response please!

i have no problem debating one bit but to say alot of music is filler i think is a little overboard. yea alot more shit comes out that is awful but a good dj with an ear will pick and choose among the garbage and find the gems. i am always gettin complimented on whered u get this or i love u r taste which i think is the greatest feeling other than a whole dancefloor filled to what ur playing. some of this shit i get sent to me is outright awful and somtimes comical i will agree but alot of the msuic sounds like filler? i ask y u think that is it cause it has no synth riff? not many guido fist pumpin tracks anymore? or the diva anthems have changed to a more darker/progressive style aside from some that are strictly made for commercial radio play? and hook like plasmic honeys greatest hits in 98'? just curious on that

if mtv were to run dance videos........what do you suggest they air on tv?

i think if mtv aired dance videos it would be great for the artist to get noticed and help boost records sales hopefully. im not one to bitch when ktu plays an "underground" track i think its great for the artist/producer for exposure and help in sales. i do think its comical when ktu takes a yr to get a track to air but whatever any exposure means $. cause we all know no one fucking buys music anymore. mtv europe has dance videos on all the time and dance is king over in europe UK.

I personally don't need to "realize" anything. I've heard Kirk at Hunka bunka for instance... I can't recall hearing him drop any hip-hop during his sets while I was there. So, if I was at Surf club coming to here him as I did at Hunka Bunka and I heard him drop hip-hop... I'd be abit taken back by that.

Qwest.

Yes Kirk doesn't play hip hop often...And it does bother me as well...But "Realize" we are house music peeps....I can't stand hip hop actually. But I understand "realize" why it is played.

I'd realize real quick that I'm out of that joint if I heard hip-hop. I would also have a different opinion of Kirk if I experienced that while he was playing.

Qwest.

Yes Kirk doesn't play hip hop often...And it does bother me as well...But "Realize" we are house music peeps....I can't stand hip hop actually. But I understand "realize" why it is played.

kirk personally i think if u have to change ur style to get people on the dancefloor at a place u always spin at no less u should rethink what ur playin, something is wrong its known. i highly doubt the crowd changed that much at surf to warrant hip hop

CP METROMIX and NJGUIDO.....I think we have a job to do then. We can make a difference....I know my site has some big plans...Metromix does a great job with the music....Maybe the internet "scene" sites need to get more involved in supporting these labels and artists. NJGUIDO has plans

CP METROMIX and NJGUIDO.....I think we have a job to do then. We can make a difference....I know my site has some big plans...Metromix does a great job with the music....Maybe the internet "scene" sites need to get more involved in supporting these labels and artists. NJGUIDO has plans

all jokin/bs aside i would love to partake in something to help out, the scene is in hsambles and disgusts me at times and many many people i know feel the same

marko, your too funny! wakeup and christian, nothing personal, just debating with you.......i just find today's club music blah and a ton of other people feel that way........

I totally agree with you. IMO the problem is that to many DJ's are producing music and not enough musicians. It's so easy to produce tracks with other people loops. Change the pitch and scale on a loop and you have a new sound. WOW. :blown:

And to Kirk, we've extended a number of invitations for you to be a part of mmradio, giving you the opportunity to showcase your music to those who otherwise wouldn't have the chance to hear you and for those faithful fans who have. You wouldn't have to compromise your style. The offer still stands...

Christopher Saylor

President/Founder

MetroMixRadio.com

csaylor@metromixradio.com

If you think that's all that's involved you're mistaken. I suppose your theory could also be applied to the hip-hop producers as well...

Qwest.

Originally posted by georgeacasta2

I totally agree with you. IMO the problem is that to many DJ's are producing music and not enough musicians. It's so easy to produce tracks with other people loops. Change the pitch and scale on a loop and you have a new sound. WOW. :blown: