Clubplanet Nightlife Community

terror futures market?

Originally posted by MadamMillie

i'm not saying that markets arent efficient. coming from an economics background, i'm a proponent of free markets. however, you cant look at this situation in pure mathematical terms. markets are driven by humans, and as i'm sure we'll all agree, man is flawed (just look at pete:D ). anyway i do believe that something like a futures terror market would possibly incent (i know it's not a word) people to commit actions of terror or whatnot. to take the earlier example, most games have at one point or another been fixed, or at least someone has tried to fix the game to ensure he/she would come out on top.

another problem i see is that it would seem to me that if anyone who put a large sum of money towards, lets say, a terrorist attack on 6/29/2005, it would seem reasonable that we (the general public or the govt at the least) would want to know why that person believed in that event, ie what kind of insider information that person had. it leads to all kinds of implications as to the motivations of the person/instituation behind the buy.

eek, i should be working.

WTF, I didn't want to get into this, but I have no choice. I'm so busy so lets make it quick. What do you think happens to oil stocks when there's trouble in the middle east?? IS that not a form of making money on war? Pharmaceutical stocks are gambling on diseases and make money off them. War boosts shares of defense contractors. THe whole stock market is like that, someone could place short sell and then have the CEO of a company killed or kidnapped, if they wanted. Plus the Terrorism futures would be a small market, the general public wouldn't be able to trade it. Also, take your example of someone betting a large sum that something was going to happen, gee you think we would investigate that person?? Maybe thwart an attack? I wish I had more time to elaborate...............

Originally posted by pgiddy

WTF, I didn't want to get into this, but I have no choice. I'm so busy so lets make it quick. What do you think happens to oil stocks when there's trouble in the middle east?? IS that not a form of making money on war? Pharmaceutical stocks are gambling on diseases and make money off them. War boosts shares of defense contractors. THe whole stock market is like that, someone could place short sell and then have the CEO of a company killed or kidnapped, if they wanted. Plus the Terrorism futures would be a small market, the general public wouldn't be able to trade it. Also, take your example of someone betting a large sum that something was going to happen, gee you think we would investigate that person?? Maybe thwart an attack? I wish I had more time to elaborate...............

your analogy is specious

the fluctuation in the price of oil is a reaction to the war. while the price is directly affected by war, war is neither necessary or sufficient to make a profit. However in this case you are directly profitting from the attack itself, and that is what is appauling.

I understand they use it for statistical models, predictions, blah, blah, blah....but they should find a less reprehensible way to do it.