Clubplanet Nightlife Community

DC bullshit

Old flag

flagcurrent.gif

Proposed Flag

flagproposed.gif

Last Thursday, the District of Columbia government filed a lawsuit in federal district court claiming that the district has the constitutional right to impose a "commuter tax" on people who live in Virginia or Maryland, but who work in D.C. These Virginians and Marylanders cannot, of course, vote in D.C. elections. Yet without a trace of irony, the D.C. tax advocates are claiming D.C.'s current inability to tax people who can't vote in D.C. is a form of "taxation without representation."

the dc voting representation issue is fucked. . .but aside from that, i'm all for the commuter tax. . .va and md residents earn your money here in the district and then take it back w/them to already filthy rich places like montgomery county/chevy chase/wherever. . .as long as the money is allocated properly. . .i guess something commuter related, maybe do something about all the rush hour gridlock :rolleyes:

Originally posted by scratchapella

the dc voting representation issue is fucked. . .but aside from that, i'm all for the commuter tax. . .va and md residents earn your money here in the district and then take it back w/them to already filthy rich places like montgomery county/chevy chase/wherever. . .as long as the money is allocated properly. . .i guess something commuter related, maybe do something about all the rush hour gridlock :rolleyes:

that is a f-ing crock, scratch...if it weren't for commuters and the people who live outside DC, the economy here would be shit.

And what do we get in return? Only potholes every 10 feet and bottleneck after bottleneck of traffic.

Oh, and lets not forget a police force that vies to be the murder capital of the country EVERY YEAR.

Our employers already pay exorbanant property taxes, not to mention additional taxes for every non-resident they employ. This is the biggest bunch of crap and I haven't heard a decent reason for it yet.

Read Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution

Read SS 6 of the Home Rule act (1974)

their claim of "taxation w/o rep" is like saying the very words of the Constitution are unconstitutional.

Originally posted by vicman

would MD and VA govment then tax people who live in DC and work in MD and VA?

technically they could, but it wouldn't amount to much. Besides, my feeling is that most people who live in DC and work in VA or MD work for the gov and could probably qualify for exemptions.

Originally posted by scratchapella

Montgomery County rules! Down with DC! :tongue:

Originally posted by revaluation

technically they could, but it wouldn't amount to much. Besides, my feeling is that most people who live in DC and work in VA or MD work for the gov and could probably qualify for exemptions.

fuck it, they all suck. anarchy now!

Originally posted by tinybutterfli

is that why you work in VA and go out in DC? :rolleyes:

MC rules as a residential county because they don't allow overdevelopment like NoVA. The houses are much nicer and the neighborhoods are much better without the immediate overcrowded feeling you get when you step out of a Northern VA neighborhood. Unfortunately, because MC doesn't allow as much development, there are better jobs in NoVA, but I'd much rather live in MC and take the long commute to my job.

Originally posted by shadygroovedc

MC rules as a residential county because they don't allow overdevelopment like NoVA. The houses are much nicer and the neighborhoods are much better without the immediate overcrowded feeling you get when you step out of a Northern VA neighborhood. Unfortunately, because MC doesn't allow as much development, there are better jobs in NoVA, but I'd much rather live in MC and take the long commute to my job.

houses are cheaper in your neck of the woods than NoVa. i might start looking that way to buy something.