Clubplanet Nightlife Community

New Crobar Info

erickamikaze

The Village Voice

La Dolce Musto

by Michael Musto

August 20 - 26, 2003

This is about Crobar NYC, but thought many of you would want to know.

There's some goofball activity coming to our own economically precarious town, and with humans yet. After being delayed longer than Susan Lucci's Emmy, the dance club Crobar is finally supposed to open in October on the site of a manufacturing facility where they once made Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade floats (Mr. Potato Head sadly not among them). Co-owner Cal Fortis—who, with Ken Smith, also has Crobars in Chicago and Miami—wants Gotham's version to practically be a parade in itself. "I think New York is ready for a big party," he told me. "We're trying to pull the club scene all into one spot and desegregate all those markets." They're actually trying to pull it all into three spots; Crobar will have a trio of distinct, linked venues under one roof, all with different music and ambience (and all with electricity). But forget any fourth venue; Fortis says they rejected the offer to do a reality TV show about the club's opening, afraid to give up creative control. I wish someone had filmed them turning down the network, for a series called But I Want Creative Control, Get Me Outta Here!

Originally posted by lilliz77

Yeah well Crobar here is slackin ass as well... They said Spring, then Summer, now fall. Who knows what the hell is going on and no offense but there will never be another Crobar as there was here....oh well, life goes on.

I went to Crobar in Chicago and it was nice but it didn't have the same vibe of Crobar Miami. I do think Crobar is a great venue and they are extremely successful at what they do. They have a multimillion dollar company, so I can understand why they would want to expand. I think the NYC locale will be great and has the potential to become one of the biggest and baddest clubs in NYC.:D

Originally posted by cheekeetika

I went to Crobar in Chicago and it was nice but it didn't have the same vibe of Crobar Miami. I do think Crobar is a great venue and they are extremely successful at what they do. They have a multimillion dollar company, so I can understand why they would want to expand. I think the NYC locale will be great and has the potential to become one of the biggest and baddest clubs in NYC.:D

Oh don't get me wrong, I love Crobar MIami cause it's nice and big, but I guess because of the one here was sooo dark and dingy and warehouse like, it had that raunchy feel to it. Plus a lot of memories in that place. A LOT! Next to SF, I agree Crobar NY will be HUGE!

we'll have to see and find out.

from what i get from the rumors, they're trying to recreate a 'manumission' type party. big room madness with all kinds of circus elements going on.

the main room is supposed to hold 3,000 people and the 2 smaller rooms around 400.

Originally posted by lilliz77

Yeah well Crobar here is slackin ass as well... They said Spring, then Summer, now fall. Who knows what the hell is going on and no offense but there will never be another Crobar as there was here....oh well, life goes on.

Crobar was the bomb from the time it open to about 2000. The vibe was crazy, the people where a mix of glam, goth and music nerds. Dirty, raunchy music for sure. There will never be anything like it again. Glad I was able to enjoy 2 years of that vibe.

It's a really cool space. Main room is DJ-centric with a slightly elevated booth and balconies.

Main VIP looks over the main room, seperated by glass walls, a la Crobar Miami.

Third room is entirely separate - could be ultra VIP or hip hop...

I would say main room capacity would be closer to 1500.

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by cooljunkie

It's a really cool space. Main room is DJ-centric with a slightly elevated booth and balconies.

Main VIP looks over the main room, seperated by glass walls, a la Crobar Miami.

Third room is entirely separate - could be ultra VIP or hip hop...

I would say main room capacity would be closer to 1500.

vip at a mega club in nyc:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

thats a joke right? who gets a vip table at these places:confused:

Originally posted by danwilson

All the big clubs in NY on Friday play rap. Crobar should do good. I just hope they dont play rap

I doubt they will, although At Crobar Miami they have The Show on thursday which pulls in a lot of people...I've been once and had a blast.