Clubplanet Nightlife Community

supra mkiv or 350z?

I've basically narrowed my car choices down to these two...

I've wanted a supra since I first saw one in '93, and nothings really changed about that (except the fact that I can afford one soon) in the past 10 years... there seems to be a ton of aftermarket shit for them and virtually endless possibilities cuz its been out so long, BUT reliability could be a problem, and finding a good one at a good price is a full time job in itself...

the z on the other hand, reliability & availability are obviously not a problem... but there's not much out for them yet (I've only seen 1 turbo kit), altho I'm sure that'll change given time.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? Stupid random comments that have nothing to do with this? :)

Stock for stock i'd probably take a 350Z

IF you are going to get into power/suspension mods go with the Supra.

If you want a reliable daily driver with the bling bling new school look go with the 350z. Otherwise get a Supra.

Obviously the 6spd T tops twin turbo is the most desired of the bunch. IF you really plan on taking the power mods really far I hear its best to get an OBDI model instead of OBDII.

Check out supraforums.com plenty of great info there. Those guys definetely know their stuff inside and outside the supra field.

If there are any cars around that you want to look at drop me a line.. i've gone through the used car scene a few times in the past year and i know what to look for. Based on how rare the car is you might end up searching for a few months before jumping on one. Don't rush because it will bite you on the ass otherwise. Compression/leakdown test is a must on a car like this. You want to find VERY knowledgable Toyota mechanic who knows this car backwards.. Maybe even a dealership if you feel they are competent enough.

Catch u on im. pecae

Supra's are nice, the styles unique, and the motor has been pushed to its limit

350z is stylish, built stronger, stiffer, and its potential is no where near is limit..

I'd get the 350z, but it would be hard, because the Supra has so much support, and soon to be a collectors car

Originally posted by teklord310

Based on how rare the car is you might end up searching for a few months before jumping on one. Don't rush because it will bite you on the ass otherwise. Compression/leakdown test is a must on a car like this. You want to find VERY knowledgable Toyota mechanic who knows this car backwards..

this is the single most important thing to remember...

I've got a 1991 Toyota MR2 turbo with 150k on the clock. Original unopened longblock, original turbo.

It's running just fine, no leaks, no stumbles, no issues whatsoever. As long as you follow the periodic maintenence schedule to the letter and keep your eye on any quirks the car may have, a Toyota product will last you damn near a lifetime.

DO get the supra if you really want to enjoy it and make it your baby. It's already a collector's item and only around 10,000 MKIV's were imported. Values are appreciating every year.

Get it with lower mileage and you shouldn't have a problem. 60k is considered lower mileage for a toyota, as long as it's been maintained and - most important - given good oil.

You find a car that's been babied and the owner has fawned over, GET IT. Pay the price. It will save you headaches down the line.

Find a mechanic that knows it front and back, or join an online community and buy the factory service manuals and do as much of the work yourself as you can. Most of it's really easy, providing you have a decent toolkit, a torque wrench and a small mechanic's bag of goodies. [loctite, PB blaster, brake cleaner, assorted nuts and bolts, etc.]

Get acquainted with Supraforums or wherever. Online communities save you time and shitloads of money, especially since most vendors and even Toyota dealers will advertise there to get you OEM parts for like 10% above cost. Hence, doing a goodd deal of work yourself will save you TONS of cash, teach you about cars and help endear you to your newfound love through your own toil, sweat and blood [oh yes, we all get skinned or cut sooner or later].

Get the Supra if it's going to be your fun/flashy/project/baby.

Get the 350Z if you don't care about any of the above and you want a new car with a warranty, a dealer network to rape you on new parts costs and also, if it's going to be your daily driver and you don't care to maintain it or treat it as a collector's piece;)

every shitbag doctors kid (speaking from personal experience) who doesnt even know how to drive stick owns a 350z....

a supra..is a f'n supra...there so rare nowadays..and so fuckin beautiful...no joke but i dont think theres any car i get more excited over ...its a work of art..from the engine to the chassis

thnx for bringing me back to my senses... 10 yrs of wanting a car then I think of other cars just cuz of people telling me it is impossible to find, and they actually started to make another car I would consider buying (the z)... anyway, it's supra or bust! :)

its been a while since I've been on there, but from what I remember supraforums.com and also mkiv.com were both excellent sources of information, looks like I've got a lotta researching to do once I get some time

I'll definitely be getting a 6 speed, preferably t tops... some things I need to find out are did they only make 2 styles (t tops & hard top?), and do I need to find a TT - can I get a NA since I plan on upgrading to turbos anyway? Or are there problems with the engine setup that make this too much of a pain, or is it a weaker engine design than the TT? I'll likely find this stuff out once I get some time - in the mean time, if there's anyone on here that knows a lot about supras, feel free to educate me :D

btw I will be doing plenty of mods to it, and doing all the work I can do

I too think the supra with the right mods is one of the most beautiful cars I've seen, hence I've been :drool: over them for the past 10 years

....and it will be treated as a collector's item

They made a targa top model - i dont know about the T-Tops.

Just look up the model info on the online forums. THey usually have tons of info available ;)

if they give you shit, come over to the Mr2 forums and we'll set you straight :D

Get a Turbo model if that's what you want. Swapping from N/A to turbo involves more than just the engine and tranny. Save yourself the hassle and possible mechanical problems down the line.

Not many problems that I know of with the Supras off the bat, but again - check out the online forums - they always have info, FAQ's and walkthroughs on finding and fixing any quirks the car might have. The motor itself is downright bulletproof. There are guys making over 800rwhp on stock motors. No joke. That figure is correct. It's all in the tuning :)

It's probably going to take a while to get the car you want. Accept that and try not to pounce on the first shiny car you see.

Bring someone knowledgeable with you - preferably another Supra TT owner. A lot of the Mr2 guys will go inspect a prospective purchase with a new owner if you just ask. Guyys who have owned and worked on their car themselves know generally what to look for and can spot problems or coverups.

It took me nearly a year of searching to find my MR2 - considering the supra is even more rare, it could easily take that long.

Def. have patience and go buy the nicest example that you can afford. Do a TON of research, get knowledgeable about the car.

The goal is to know the car and its quirks before it even arrives in your driveway.

then you can do the next best thing :D Start shopping for mods ;)

www.suprastore.com

www.mvpmotorsports.com

www.titanmotorsports.com

happy boosting and making 400rwhp on basic upgrades! :)

Originally posted by joeg

get the turbo version... its always a pain in the ass to get from n/a to turbo...

alrighty then

what you should do is get a twin turbo, and then buy a single turbo conversion kit at some point...

why's that? I remember twin turbos have less lag, I forget the advantages of a bigger single turbo...

Originally posted by cintron

They made a targa top model - i dont know about the T-Tops.

Just look up the model info on the online forums. THey usually have tons of info available ;)

if they give you shit, come over to the Mr2 forums and we'll set you straight :D

Get a Turbo model if that's what you want. Swapping from N/A to turbo involves more than just the engine and tranny. Save yourself the hassle and possible mechanical problems down the line.

Not many problems that I know of with the Supras off the bat, but again - check out the online forums - they always have info, FAQ's and walkthroughs on finding and fixing any quirks the car might have. The motor itself is downright bulletproof. There are guys making over 800rwhp on stock motors. No joke. That figure is correct. It's all in the tuning :)

It's probably going to take a while to get the car you want. Accept that and try not to pounce on the first shiny car you see.

Bring someone knowledgeable with you - preferably another Supra TT owner. A lot of the Mr2 guys will go inspect a prospective purchase with a new owner if you just ask. Guyys who have owned and worked on their car themselves know generally what to look for and can spot problems or coverups.

It took me nearly a year of searching to find my MR2 - considering the supra is even more rare, it could easily take that long.

Def. have patience and go buy the nicest example that you can afford. Do a TON of research, get knowledgeable about the car.

The goal is to know the car and its quirks before it even arrives in your driveway.

then you can do the next best thing :D Start shopping for mods ;)

www.suprastore.com

www.mvpmotorsports.com

www.titanmotorsports.com

happy boosting and making 400rwhp on basic upgrades! :)

suprastore - that's the other one I was tryin to think of. I'm in no big hurry, still need a couple months to get the finances in order as well as do some research... thnx for the other sites & info :aright:

depends on what you want. The stock twin turbo system is sized to provide quicker spoolup and response by using two smaller turbos.

a big single turbo tends to sacrifice spool time and instead focuses on top end raw power output.

it all depends on what you want and what use the car will see.

If you want to take t he supra to the dragstrip, chances are a big single will be all you'll need.

If you want to AutoX or roadrace it and you find that a single creates too much lag or a powerband that's more of an "on/off" instead of a smooth curve, then perhaps a twin setup is more for you.

Again, it's all in the tuning. Check out the upgrades available, read a TON of articles and do a TON of research.

It's going to be your baby - learn about her and the toys you can buy her and get excited ;)

yeah... I was just thinking about that.... I remember hearing some complaints about rigidity with the targa top

and seeing as how the car is already rare as hell, no point in being more picky than I need to when I could just throw a sunroof in a hardtop anyway

argh. dont chop up a supra for a sunroof :(

if u want a sunroof, get a sunroof. Aftermarket sunroofs rarely ever fit as well as stock ones.

yeah, plus you'll pay out the ass for it...

definately get a stock sunroof... its all pre-wired and nice... no leaks... etc...

personally, i would not get the supra. its nice and everything, but its running on 10 year old technology. (unless you get the 98 anivers edition) but still i have driven both cars. the supra is very sloppy compared to the 350. the nose is like a mile long.

a good condition supra with low miles is going to be hard to find. if you just settle for one (decent condition) you will have to do alot to it. tuneup, new tires, etc... why not just spend the money and get a car that is brand new, and then slowly crack it open....

there's nothing wrong with a car that's a decade old...

or 13 years old, for that matter. give it a tuneup and watch the maintenence and a Toyota will last forever. The drivetrains are damn strong in those years too.

after all, my transmission is still in one piece ;)

there's nothing wrong with a car that's a decade old...

or 13 years old, for that matter. give it a tuneup and watch the maintenence and a Toyota will last forever. The drivetrains are damn strong in those years too.

after all, my transmission is still in one piece ;)

its not my fault subaru produces a glass tranny.

Originally posted by atomicapples

personally, i would not get the supra. its nice and everything, but its running on 10 year old technology. (unless you get the 98 anivers edition) but still i have driven both cars. the supra is very sloppy compared to the 350. the nose is like a mile long.

a good condition supra with low miles is going to be hard to find. if you just settle for one (decent condition) you will have to do alot to it. tuneup, new tires, etc... why not just spend the money and get a car that is brand new, and then slowly crack it open....

what's up man - long time no talk

you've got some good points there. I've had my mind set on a supra for a while, and I think I'm gonna look for one for a while. But if long enough passes and I can't stand my old peice of shit anymore and need a new car, I'll give in & go with the z. I just hope they start making more aftermarket shit for them - I've only seen 1 turbo & not many body kits and stuff like that.

one question tho - what did u mean by sloppy? I don't think I've ever heard a supra called sloppy before...