Clubplanet Nightlife Community

supra mkiv or 350z?

he means in the handling department, it might not be as crisp and sharp as a 350z.

Supras pull mid 0.90's on the skidpad, stock and have some damn good brakes as well. the handling potential is certainly there, but because of the size of the nose, it might not be as flickable as the Z. Then again, the Z is heavy as hell too.

tip for buying a supra: Be prepared to travel to go get your car and drive it back. somewhere warm, where cars don't see really bad weather, like down south, midatlantic states, florida. You'll find the most cherry examples usually require a nice long drive home. but damn it's worth it ;)

I'm just not used to .96 G's bein called sloppy, that's all... plus with mods the suspension will be be a helluva lot better than just about any sports car stock, so that's not really an issue

yeah I have no problem traveling as far as florida... unfortuantely I see a lotta them in so cal, and I don't think I'd do that ;)

anyone know how strong the z engine is? I know supras are renouned for their engine strenght, allowing 700-800 hp on a stock engine... unfortunately I doubt the z has been put to the test yet... anyone heard anything about it?

• 5 months later...
Originally posted by teklord310

Stock for stock i'd probably take a 350Z

IF you are going to get into power/suspension mods go with the Supra.

If you want a reliable daily driver with the bling bling new school look go with the 350z. Otherwise get a Supra.

HMmmmm. I have been running 509rwhp in my car for the past year and have not had a problem, ohh wait; I did have a broken tail light bulb ;) It's a TOYOTA you can't go wrong in the reliability department.

Obviously the 6spd T tops twin turbo is the most desired of the bunch. IF you really plan on taking the power mods really far I hear its best to get an OBDI model instead of OBDII.

Wrong, when going single turbo you will run into issues with fuel/tuning. OBD1 computers have problems running lean on top end. OBD2 computer will give you check engine light, when you install the down pipe. But that can be very easy fixed.

Check out supraforums.com plenty of great info there. Those guys definetely know their stuff inside and outside the supra field.

Thank you.

If there are any cars around that you want to look at drop me a line.. i've gone through the used car scene a few times in the past year and i know what to look for. Based on how rare the car is you might end up searching for a few months before jumping on one. Don't rush because it will bite you on the ass otherwise. Compression/leakdown test is a must on a car like this. You want to find VERY knowledgable Toyota mechanic who knows this car backwards.. Maybe even a dealership if you feel they are competent enough.

Do not go to Toyota dealer. I would visit a well known tuning shop like, TunerM, or Bullish racing un NJ.

Catch u on im. pecae

P.s. Cool board :D:party:

Originally posted by cintron

he means in the handling department, it might not be as crisp and sharp as a 350z.

Supras pull mid 0.90's on the skidpad, stock and have some damn good brakes as well. the handling potential is certainly there, but because of the size of the nose, it might not be as flickable as the Z. Then again, the Z is heavy as hell too.

tip for buying a supra: Be prepared to travel to go get your car and drive it back. somewhere warm, where cars don't see really bad weather, like down south, midatlantic states, florida. You'll find the most cherry examples usually require a nice long drive home. but damn it's worth it ;)

My car pulled 1.18G on the skid pad. When stock it did .96. I have TEIN suspension and 285/30/18 tires n the rear. And the reason why older supras are not as CRISP as a newer supra, it's because of the worn out bushings. Change them and you have a CRISP car again :) As far as brakes, they are made by summitomo. They make racing brakes for race cars and bikes. Car and driver said " Supra brakes were the best brakes that we ever tested on a production car"

Test of a stock supra

www.mkiv.com\publications\motor_trend\7_93\mt793_10.jpg

caranddriver.jpg

Originally posted by atomicapples

personally, i would not get the supra. its nice and everything, but its running on 10 year old technology. (unless you get the 98 anivers edition) but still i have driven both cars. the supra is very sloppy compared to the 350. the nose is like a mile long.

HAHAHAHA, that is the funnies thing ever! 10 year old technology? That 10 year old technology is used in Lexus gs300/is300. And guess what, guys put down 700, 800, and even 1200rwhp on that old technology. Also 98 was not the anniversary edition, 97 was. And there were no major changes made from 93 to 98. Only lights, seats and small things like that. Supra is sloppy? you want to show me a dyno of 350Z and I will show you mine. Both stock twins, and single. I put down close to 350rwhp at 3.5RPM.Sloppy, lol. P.S. 350rwhp is about 410HP.

a good condition supra with low miles is going to be hard to find. if you just settle for one (decent condition) you will have to do alot to it. tuneup, new tires, etc... why not just spend the money and get a car that is brand new, and then slowly crack it open....

Becasue it's about the passion peopl have for cars, and the work they do to it. I take 10 year old supra over 350Z any day ;)

P.S. I drove the 350Z, my friend has one. Very nice car... But not even close to the potential of the supra

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...