Clubplanet Nightlife Community

updates on LL, Crobar, Spirit, & Shine

http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0335/flylife.php

While the Time Café party was less than fancy, I'll tell you a little secret. Bruce Willis and Dan Aykroyd will be opening a super-exclusive V.I.P. joint in Avalon (the old Limelight space) called the Spider Club. It'll have its own separate entrance and will operate on three levels. Now, that's fancy!

The club is set for a September 20 launch with Seb Fontaine headlining (not so fancy), and Dave Ralph, the renowned house DJ, is one of the creative directors (very fancy!). The space looks totally different, says Ralph, and will have three rooms, with the Chapel taking on the role of the chill-out area.

Another space that's undergone a drastic makeover is Shine, now known as the Canal Room. As part of the $1 million renovation, they've moved the bathrooms downstairs, built an enclosed V.I.P. booth that sits a foot higher than the stage, and moved the stage area to the Canal Street side. Owner Marcus Linial reports that people who've seen it say it's unrecognizable. He expects the club will be ready to open after Labor Day weekend; until then, they've been hosting private parties, including one that was filmed by VH1 for a possible reality show modeled after The Restaurant. But Linial is undecided about whether or not he wants to participate in a program that will likely concentrate on "the argument between the two bartenders," rather than the music.

The folks at Crobar were also supposed to be the subject of such a documentary, but according to reports of those who've seen the space, there isn't much to film just yet. The place was still a construction zone just a few weeks ago, and there have been whispers that the owners had run out of money. One source said that tan, handsome co-owners Ken Barlich and Cal Fortis had been approaching several local club owners about going in on the space. (Incidentally, the Chicago Crobar is currently closed for renovations.)

Pippa McArdle, a spokesperson for the club refuted the reports of trouble. "Crobar was always scheduled to open in the fall, and this has not changed," she said. "Crobar has no financial difficulties. The construction is moving so quickly, I can't wait for you to see it!"

Across the street, things are also under way at the old Twilo spot; owner Robert Wootton, who hails from Dublin, Ireland, has been working O.T. to get Spirit up and running. The space has a holistic theme (three areas are called Mind, Body, Spirit), and will feature a restaurant with an adjacent bar and lounge area; the main dancefloor, which has been excavated and dropped to accommodate a mezzanine; and a wellness center upstairs. The restaurant will emphasize vegetarian fare with some raw-food dishes. Wootton's master plan includes the unveiling of five more Spirit venues, the next one in Cape Town, South Africa, with clubs in Athens, Sydney, Shanghai, and Rio to follow. "I was guided to do this," says Wootton. "I know it sounds strange, but that's the reason."